Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: What do you leave behind when gone for the day?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> What do you leave behind when gone for the day?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
lap527

Ocala, Florida

View Profile

Posted: 09/14/19 02:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We used to leave our rug, aluminum table and grill. "Used" too until some low life stole our aluminum table and took the rest to ranger station and said we left all our stuff. That was at a Army Corp park in Virginia. Grrr....now we don't leave anything.

2006 Dodge 3500 dually 4X4 / 2013 Livin Lite 10.0 TC /Torklift talons, fastguns, stableloads, superhitch, and truss/ towing a
14'V Nose Trailer Hauling 2014 Tri-glide Harley Davidson, recently added a 2016 Livin Lite 21RBS travel trailer. No Wood!No Rot!

WishWeWereCamping

South Santa Cruz County, CA

View Profile

Posted: 09/14/19 11:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Put a tablecloth on the table, leave some stuff on the table, leave a couple of chairs around the fire pit, that's the minimum, but if you're really paranoid about this pitch a small tent.

Rover_Bill

NE. Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/14/19 11:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Before I got my TT, I would put an old lawn chair in the middle of my camping site entrance with a sign saying "This site is paid for and is occupied for today."

2015 GMC Canyon 3.6L V6 4X4 TowHaul SLE ExtCab Bronze
2016 Keystone Passport GT 2670BH
ReCurve R6 hitch, DirecLink brake controller
2005 Suzuki C50 2006 Suzuki S40

Scottiemom

South Dakota/Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/19 05:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In fifteen years of fulltiming, we've never had a problem leaving chairs, mats, etc., behind while out for service or whatever.

This summer we left one evening to travel a brief distance to camp overnight where we were having service work done. We were booked at our camp for the summer and didn't think twice about leaving our two chairs and mats behind. We knew the mowers would take the opportunity to mow our site so we put everything up on the picnic table. We told the camp owners and our friend who would be mowing.

We arrived back the following day around 4 p.m. and found our stuff was all GONE. No mats, no chairs. I was certainly miffed. Our mats were easy. . . the next door neighbor had them. We walked over and retrieved the one. The other was at his door and my DH didn't think it was ours, but he came out and very apologetically brought it back to us. He was so totally embarrassed, thinking we had gone off and left them behind. But he didn't know what had happened to our chairs. We drove all around camp, but didn't see them out. We told the owner and the friend who mowed, but they were no where to be found.

Later we had to go out for a bit. When we returned, there were our chairs stacked neatly on the picnic table where we had left them. So someone close by had to have taken them and saw that we were back. To this day, no one has come forward to admit having taken them, but glad they are back.

We have a small motorhome that we sometimes take and we don't tow a toad with it. We made up signs that say "Site Occupied" and place them on the electric pedestal and the picnic table. We made two more and keep those in the big motorhome now and put them out. We used old license plates and spray painted them, then used plastic stick on letters and put some light chain to hang them with. The next time we went out for service, we used those and nothing disappeared.

Dale

Dale Pace
Wife to Terry (Teacher's Pet)
2006 Tiffin Phaeton 40'(Phaeton Place)
2014 Ford Flex
2004 R-Vision Trail-lite 213 (MinnieMee)
Fulltiming since 2005

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/
Where are we?

Lwiddis

Kern County, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/15/19 07:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Two cheap camp chairs chained to the camp table or a tree with a note “occupied” pinned to one. I also take a photo of my “paid” tag on the post.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/15/19 08:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I leave behind a small orange traffic cone with a sign that says occupied. I usually put that in the driveway area. Typically I also leave a folding chair. Even with those steps, I have had issues. In Rainier I returned for the day to find someone just about finishing erecting their tent in my campsite. They thought I "left". In Canada I had the same. They were desperate and I actually gave them my spot and stayed in parking lot where I could do night photography. I had a similar incident at Mammoth, Yellowstone, where the campground host got confused.

I think there were a couple of other incidents which I forgot or suppressed in my mind. It is a sinking feeling to return to a full campground late in the evening and find your site taken.

doxiemom11

Yoakum Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/15/19 09:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've seen people leave a chair, another had a sign made that said "occupied" and we've been at campgrounds that provided a sign or orange cones for campers to use.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/16/19 01:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mother in law or a kid seem to be good choices depending on the day.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/19 07:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Collapsible cone

I carry one of these, since we usually travel light and seldom have things sitting outside. I wrote "occupied" on it with a marker. Takes up very little space when stored.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> What do you leave behind when gone for the day?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.