Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: shield for towed car
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> shield for towed car

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/19 09:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I believe his concern is MH cooling. I don't see a cooling issue unless he travels with the shield mounted/stored on the MH - some providers have mounts for this purpose. To me it's far enough back when mounted on the car to have minimum impact if any.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/19 09:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP's Husband,

I don't recall anyone every posting your concern before. Please do extensive internet searching/research and let us know what you find. Plus different MHs, toads, shields and tow bars all could be factors.

Bottom Line: I would expect significant posts about overheating due to air flow if it was caused by shields.

I've seen some very significant homemade shields that are wider and cover the toad top to bottom - much larger than any vendor shield.

Mile High

CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/15/19 09:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dodge guy wrote:

The OP is talking about the shield that attaches to the cars base plate! Not the rear rock guard under the RV
I realize that, but I'm saying that if you get rid of the source of the problem, you don't need the fix to the problem. The standard mudflap behind the axle should be sufficient.

2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

TS21sso

North Central Texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/22/19 02:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I too tow a 2017 Terrain.
The owners manual states” Use of a shield mounted in front of the vehicle grille could restrict airflow and cause damage to the transmission. The repairs would not be covered by the vehicles warranty. If using a shield, only use one that attaches to the towing vehicle.”
Have you considered a protect a tow? this would protect, plus allow circulation.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> shield for towed car
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS