cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

App for fuel / generator storage?

happy2rv
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone use a smart phone app to remind them to cycle stored fuel for their generator and to run the generator so the carburetor doesn't gum up?

I recently bought a new generator and made a resolution to regularly exercise it. I bought the new inverter generator for the RV, but I have an older open frame generator that was used exclusively for the house. I've had to clean the carb on it a few times because I let it sit too long. The carb on the inverter generator is considerably smaller and looks more difficult to get to. So I want to make sure I keep to a regular schedule with something to remind me if I forget.

I found an app designed to track expiration dates of groceries that works OK, but it isn't ideal. It has a quirky interface designed around it's intended purpose and it was obviously written by someone to whom English is a second language. For instance, it indicates and object is "21 days expired" when it really means the object will expire in 21 days.
2018 Forrest River Salem Hemisphere 282RK - 2017 RAM 1500 TV

Previous RVs and TOADS
2004 Fleetwood Bounder 32W on WH W20
2000 Four Winds 5000 21RB
1986 27' Allegro
TOADS
2005 Ford Ranger XLT 2WD
2004 Suzuki Aerio
1988 Chevrolet Sprint
13 REPLIES 13

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
I've run my Onans once a month since I first got one 15 years ago. Now my rig is parked in Florida where it will sit untouched for 6 months of the year. I'm interested to know if it will even run when I get there in November.

My stick house backup generator gets run a couple of times a year but that one has a petcock and I let it run out of gas before putting it away. Same thing with the snowblower and lawn mowers.

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
On our previous mh I installed an electric switch to turn off the generator fuel pump, and let id die for lack of gas.
Out current mh, the generator has a drain valve on it's carburetor.

Dusty

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Drain the carburetor after each trip.

X-2

On our previous mh I installed a switch on the wire going to the fuel pump, turned it off when generator was running and let it run out of gas. The mh we have now has a carburetor drain.

Dusty

Happytraveler
Explorer
Explorer
We use Reminders app on our iPhones. My husband gets a reminder to start 2 generators once a month, water potted plants every two weeks, pickup mail, remove and clean sub tank once a year, etc. LOL
Charlie, a male Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
Katie, a female Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Drain the carburetor after each trip.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Check out startron. Comes in a blue bottle. It's well respected in the dirt bike industry and also marine.

Boat guys like it for absorbing water. Dirt bike guys like it to combat ethanol.

happy2rv
Explorer
Explorer
I used to use stabil. I had stabil in the old generator when it gummed up. I've heard sea foam might be better and I've thought about adding it to my storage fuel, but I believe regular exercise is good for the engine/generator regardless of the fuel used. I could run it dry and refuel with engineered fuel in for long term storage. But there are issues, other than fuel, that can cause problems with engines and mechanical things sitting idle for too long. I feel like there is a much higher chance of it working correctly when I need it if has worked in the last month and not sat idle for months. YMMV.

Previous RVs and TOADS
1986 27' Allegro
TOADS
2005 Ford Ranger XLT 2WD
2004 Suzuki Aerio
1988 Chevrolet Sprint

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
put a shut off valve on the fuel line run dry with some stabil in the fuel ,and forget it till the next power out.mine has sat for over a year, put fuel in opened the valve and started right up.

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Why not use fuel stabilizer when you fill the tanks?
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

happy2rv
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
Why not just out it on your phone calendar? I use it to track all our appointments.

I could do that, but I prefer something that tracks each item all in one place. I currently keep 10 gallons of fuel, 2 cans, at home for power outages and I still have 2 generators. One of the generators is stored at a storage shed. So, I don't always run them on the same day. In order to track them with simple calendar reminders, I could just put a simple reminder or do the 1st of the month thing. But I prefer something that keeps track of each one and more than just a reminder go check the generators/fuel.

I don't necessarily change both fuel cans at the same time or run both gensets at the same time. As I approach the expiration date on my fuel, I will dump one, possibly both, of the cans in truck and go refill the empties. I prefer to mix the "old" fuel with plenty of fuel in the truck tank. If I don't get to one of them within the "expiration" time, the app reminds me how "overdue" that particular item is.

I realize its overkill, but even with only 2 cans / 2 gens its easy to forget which ones I took care of and when. I "planned" to run the old generator monthly but as wopachop I usually forgot. Every month turned to 2 or 4 months between runs. I store untreated fuel for up to 60 days, but I'm trying to run the gens at least 10 minutes every 30 days.

Previous RVs and TOADS
1986 27' Allegro
TOADS
2005 Ford Ranger XLT 2WD
2004 Suzuki Aerio
1988 Chevrolet Sprint

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
Why not just out it on your phone calendar? I use it to track all our appointments.

Yes, easy peasy.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
People say once a month. So I do it on the 1st. Usually forget and ends up being every 2 or 3 months.