Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: New Truck and 5th wheel
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> New Truck and 5th wheel

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
ACZL

UPstate,NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/16/19 08:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JIMNLIN wrote:

Dex66 wrote:

I found and spread sheet online and if I put the # in right for the Ram I should have about 1400lb. available for payload the truck won't have anything in it for weight. The ram has a payload of 4330 lb.

There is no Ram 3500 srw that can carry 4330 lbs in the bed as payload without blowing its 7000 RAWR number. That the fallacy of using newer truck high gvwr based payloads to assume a in the bed payload such as pin weight and other gear/stuff the rear axle will carry.
These size trucks rear axle can weigh in the 3200-3400 lb range. Now add 4330 lb of payload in the bed = around 7700 lbs for a 700 lb overload. Time for 19.5" tires and wheels and air bags/etc with that payload.
OP keep in mind that 4330 payload number is a gvwr based payload which comes from the trucks front and rear axles.

About the most the 3500 srw can carry in the bed will be around 3500-3800 lbs depending on cab selections....drive selections....wheel base selections.

Your starting with a 14k dry weight trailer. Now add 1200-1500 lbs of "stuff" and your looking at maybe a 15.5k lb trailer....maybe more depending on how much necessary junk [emoticon] you want to carry.

Your gonna' be close to max if you load lite.

I also agree 100%. We learned this the hard way ourselves. Upgraded to a SRW 350 from a 250 thinking we'd be all set to go (then and going forward), but bought a new RV and tho we ran the SRW 350 for a year w/o a prob, we were over on everything. Dry wt of 5er was 14,000 w/ max of 16k. Empty pin was 2900, fully loaded, pin 3750. Had almost 2k worth of "stuff" in 5er.

Yes we could have put bigger tires on, but fact of the matter, still over on everything else. Biggest concern to me is being over on tires and if in high temp areas along w/ high road temps, being over is asking for problems. Went w/ a DRW 350 and love it for towing. Yes I admit it may be a bit of a pain to scoot around town with, BUT don't regret it for towing the heavy RV. DRW stink in the winter, but just have to adapt and overcome.

OP, you asked for opinions and your getting them. If you think you want to get a larger/heavier RV and decide to travel, DRW is way to go. Think you said that you just plan on towing to CG from house and park it. IF and a HUGE IF that's all you plan to do, then a SRW will suffice. HOWEVER if you ever decide to want to do a lot of traveling, then DRW is in order w/ a heavy RV. Better to err on side of caution. Been there done that, in matter of 3 1/2 years.

2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/16/19 09:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My Redwood had a published DRY pin at 2600#.. Loaded an camp ready I am at 3460# with a GVW of 16,500..

My SRW is within MOST of the numbers, well at least the important numbers that is..

My axle rating is 7100# and I am at 6960.. my tires are rated at 3750# each which gives me 7500# capacity on each axle.. I am over my trucks GVW by 320# but that does not bother me as I am under the 2 big numbers..

My Rv has disc brakes, so no added stopping to the truck, and tows like a dream..

When I start towing more than a weekend warrior it will be a DRW for sure...

Me-Her-the kids
2015 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020Redwood 3991RD Garnet

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/16/19 09:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dex66 wrote:

I looking to buy a new truck I have a Ram 2500 now and looking into a 3500 SWR should I go with a long bed or short? The 5th wheel I looking at has a UVW of 13856 lb. and GVWR is 16340 lb. and hitch weight 2340 lb.I don't plan on pulling a lot I just want to be sure I have enough Truck so when I do pull it I am safe and not maxing out my truck. I am also looking at a Chevy 3500

While a SRW would likely be able to handle that, IMO, it might be marginal. Personally, I'd go dually and not look back.

Lyle

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 61 Year Member

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/16/19 11:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ACZL wrote:

Empty pin was 2900, fully loaded, pin 3750. Had almost 2k worth of "stuff" in 5er.

I believe I have said it a couple times in this thread alone. 3K or so dry pin weight does not work with a SRW truck. Go back and look at what OP said the trailer's dry pin weight is.

Simple fact is a lot of people do not want a dually, period! So a wise choice of trailer chosen can get the job done. We found a Cedar Model and several Big Horns that had pin weight around 2400 in floor plans we liked.

I had to rule out all but the smallest Cardinal and Montana's in 2016 when we were buying a new larger trailer. We would have liked to stay with another Cardinal, how the small one was very cheaply made. The one we looked at had drawers falling apart and bathroom slider screwed up, on a brand new trailer.

We went with the Big Horn for floor plan with kitchen island, tow theater seats that look straight across at TV, rear cap and Sailun tires OEM along with other things.

Chris

2015 RAM 3500 CC SB SRW Our Rig New 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Commuter trailer 2019 Laredo 225MK. Retired and enjoying it!

TXiceman

Full Time RVer

View Profile

Posted: 09/16/19 12:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Look at the 3500DRW and long bed. Fellow just came in with a Open Range 5er and a short bed truck....rear window was busted out.....

Ken

Amateur Radio Operator.
2013 HitchHiker 38RLRSB Champagne, toted with a 2012, F350, 6.7L PSD, Crewcab, dually. 3.73 axle, Full Time RVer.
Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/16/19 12:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Me Again wrote:

ACZL wrote:

Empty pin was 2900, fully loaded, pin 3750. Had almost 2k worth of "stuff" in 5er.

I believe I have said it a couple times in this thread alone. 3K or so dry pin weight does not work with a SRW truck. Go back and look at what OP said the trailer's dry pin weight is.

Simple fact is a lot of people do not want a dually, period! So a wise choice of trailer chosen can get the job done. We found a Cedar Model and several Big Horns that had pin weight around 2400 in floor plans we liked.

I had to rule out all but the smallest Cardinal and Montana's in 2016 when we were buying a new larger trailer. We would have liked to stay with another Cardinal, how the small one was very cheaply made. The one we looked at had drawers falling apart and bathroom slider screwed up, on a brand new trailer.

We went with the Big Horn for floor plan with kitchen island, tow theater seats that look straight across at TV, rear cap and Sailun tires OEM along with other things.

Chris

Chris, while your statement about DRW may be true there are times where one wants, and what one needs just don't work out.
I recall the back and forth when you bought the 2015 Ram as to Long Bed va Short Bed.
Well when we went for a newer TV it was a LB DRW, not looking back. I will also say our DD also has a DRW CC lb to tow here 4 horse GN. Neither her, DW, or I have too many issues fitting in places we want to go.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 09/16/19 01:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My first crew cab was a SRW long bed. Since then I have stuck to the SRW short bed mostly because I like the look of the short bed better. I don't think it is a beg deal one way or the other. You definitely don't need a dually for a 16K 5ver.

2017 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

smarty

new mexico

View Profile

Posted: 09/16/19 04:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought a similar rig 5 years ago. Went with Dually and 8 foot bed
Truck is rated to tow more than what i am hooked to
Tows well and I sleep good knowing i have the correct set-up

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/16/19 05:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rhagfo wrote:

I recall the back and forth when you bought the 2015 Ram as to Long Bed va Short Bed.

When we bought the 2015 we were still in a home with a garage that would not handle a CCLB, parking a long box CC at are Arizona park model would have it sticking out in the street.

This is the only picture I could find. If that truck was 18" longer it would be sticking over the concrete apron of the street which is not allowed.

[image]

* This post was edited 09/16/19 06:04pm by Me Again *

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/19 09:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rhagfo wrote:

Me Again wrote:

ACZL wrote:

Chris

Chris, while your statement about DRW may be true there are times where one wants, and what one needs just don't work out.
Well when we went for a newer TV it was a LB DRW, not looking back. I will also say our DD also has a DRW CC lb to tow here 4 horse GN. Neither her, DW, or I have too many issues fitting in places we want to go.

When Wintering in SoCal the 15 LongHorn DRW is the daily driver for both of us. I love spots like this!

[image]

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> New Truck and 5th wheel
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS