cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Plan B ..January travel thru the South

steelhunter
Explorer
Explorer
If I stay away from the coast and travel Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia and South Carolina will I have trouble finding camping spots?

This will be December thru February.

This is my first trip to this area so any tips or advice is well appreciated.
8 REPLIES 8

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
15 years ago I would have said no reservations but now we have adopted the attitude- never take for granted that there will be sites any time any where. That might be overstating but we've been fooled numerous times.
Jayco-noslide

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
No.

^^^^^^^^I Agree^^^^^^^^

Not an issue.
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

Adiabatman
Explorer
Explorer
There are LOTS of great places to camp besides state parks and commercial campgrounds. With the help of Ultimate Campgrounds we have found some wonderful county and municipal campgrounds.

We do usually make a reservation about a week ahead for the major holiday weekends, but otherwise we travel strictly by the seat of our pants and have had virtually no problems finding a campsite. It helps to end your travel early to mid afternoon.

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.campgroundreviews.com/ is your friend.

State parks can be tough to get into on Thursday, Friday's and Saturday's in some areas but no issues during the week.
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
No.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
wildtoad wrote:
We rarely have issues getting camping spots during the winter months, especially during the week. We mostly use the state parks which are really nice along the coast. Canโ€™t speak for the mega sized commercial parks such as Ocean Lakes as never been except to check them out. Not our cup โ€˜o tea.

Ocean Lakes and the other Myrtle parks always have lots of spaces in winter.
disclaimer: haven't been there during winter in the past 3 years but was there a lot previously.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
We rarely have issues getting camping spots during the winter months, especially during the week. We mostly use the state parks which are really nice along the coast. Canโ€™t speak for the mega sized commercial parks such as Ocean Lakes as never been except to check them out. Not our cup โ€˜o tea.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Depends on how far you want to avoid the coast. Two major routes thru Louisiana I10 and I20. I10 has many camping areas. I20 is North Louisiana and has some but not as plentiful as the Southern I10 route. Avoid Atlanta due to traffic. We have traveled through each of the states listed and had no problem finding campgrounds. Just avoid cities where major sporting events are to be held on the weekend.