Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: I got the shakes
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> I got the shakes

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/19 02:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bruce Brown wrote:

If the bead wasn't seated that would lead me to believe there was no air left in the tire first.

Sounds to me like a bunch of incompetent clowns did your tires. Wow, just wow.

If the valve stems break off, it's a pretty good guess that there won't be much air in the tires quite soon thereafter. Logically it would seem that the tire unseating itself is a result of the valve stem failure, which itself could be due to an inappropriate valve stem or inappropriately heavy attachment (an extension?) put on it.

Octaneforce

Long island

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/19 05:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DrewE wrote:

Bruce Brown wrote:

If the bead wasn't seated that would lead me to believe there was no air left in the tire first.

Sounds to me like a bunch of incompetent clowns did your tires. Wow, just wow.

If the valve stems break off, it's a pretty good guess that there won't be much air in the tires quite soon thereafter. Logically it would seem that the tire unseating itself is a result of the valve stem failure, which itself could be due to an inappropriate valve stem or inappropriately heavy attachment (an extension?) put on it.

Oh yeah now that you mention it, they had big extensions on the inner valve stems so the inner tire could easily be aired up. The big extension along with the vibration could very well be why they broke off.

The shop that fixed it during my trip didnt use any extensions. So now the valve is pretty deep in there. Im not sure how i would fish a tire inflator inside the wheel to adjust the air pressure.

And to the guys who are asking what shop/clowns did the tires initially, its a local long island shop that i really dont want to bash because they were always so good to me prior to this issue. They still are, they really try to fix it they just keep failing. Its a heavy duty truck shop that works on buses and big rigs all day so i dont know why they cant nail down my rv issues. I think they are just used to working on nice newer trucks and not peice of **** 25 year old p30’s that jump lanes when they hit a pebble. Beleive me i am super frustrated and i appreciate the sympathy. I will be ordering centramtic rings when i get home. If that doesnt improve the situation im selling it and buying something on a ford platform.

1993 fleetwood coronado 30’ class a chuggin along with a tbi 454
An On demand hot water heater was the best thing i ever did

Octaneforce

Long island

View Profile

Posted: 11/21/19 03:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bringing back this thread. I finally got around to installing centramatic rings on all 4 corners. The truck is now silky smooth below 60 and these rings really do stop vibrations, HOWEVER, as soon as i exceed 60mph the shake starts. With the rings its very easy now to identify the shake. Its more like a wobble, and im sure its coming from the rear.
The strange thing is, once the shake starts it doesnt go away, even when i slow down to 55. I have to slow all the way down to like 40 for it to “reset”. Im starting to think i have a bent axle. This issue is depressing. Whats funny is how awesome this thing drives now below 60 mph. Its like **** racecar with all these new parts. It just has shaking fits after that speed.

wolfe10

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 11/21/19 03:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Octaneforce,

Just a quick, friendly suggestion: Fill out/modify your signature so we know what rig you are driving.

There are many here with decades of hands on suspension experience, but having to wade through 5 pages of posts to get info is "less than inviting".

Thanks.

Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

FMCA Forum: www.community.fmca.com/index

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Octaneforce

Long island

View Profile

Posted: 11/21/19 04:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wolfe10 wrote:

Octaneforce,

Just a quick, friendly suggestion: Fill out/modify your signature so we know what rig you are driving.

There are many here with decades of hands on suspension experience, but having to wade through 5 pages of posts to get info is "less than inviting".

Thanks.

Thanks for the advice. I did my best to create a signature. Its a little funky working this site from my phone

DFord

Near St Louis, MO

View Profile

Posted: 11/21/19 08:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bent axle vibration will NOT come and GO. Look for another problem. Vibration like you're describing was common back 50 years ago when "loose" front end joints would cause oscillations that could only be stopped by slowing way down after they got started. Do you have a solid front axle with king pins and leaf springs or independent front suspension with coil springs/ball joints?

Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

Octaneforce

Long island

View Profile

Posted: 11/21/19 10:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DFord wrote:

Bent axle vibration will NOT come and GO. Look for another problem. Vibration like you're describing was common back 50 years ago when "loose" front end joints would cause oscillations that could only be stopped by slowing way down after they got started. Do you have a solid front axle with king pins and leaf springs or independent front suspension with coil springs/ball joints?

Its an independent front end. Typical chevy but with airbags inside the coil springs

DFord

Near St Louis, MO

View Profile

Posted: 11/21/19 10:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are you positive the shake is coming from the rear end? Those symptoms sure sound like there's excessive play in the front end. Worn balljoints or tierods or bushings are prime suspects. I'd see if a shop that works on Step Vans which are similar to your chassis would check it out for you. The "bell-cranks" on that chassis are notorious for loose, sloppy fits. https://www.amazon.com/SuperSteer-P3032-Bell-Crank/dp/B009WQQ64M These bell-cranks are expensive but are a positive fix to get that play out. GM should be forced to replace them on every "P" chassis ever made.

Octaneforce

Long island

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/19 05:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DFord wrote:

Are you positive the shake is coming from the rear end? Those symptoms sure sound like there's excessive play in the front end. Worn balljoints or tierods or bushings are prime suspects. I'd see if a shop that works on Step Vans which are similar to your chassis would check it out for you. The "bell-cranks" on that chassis are notorious for loose, sloppy fits. https://www.amazon.com/SuperSteer-P3032-Bell-Crank/dp/B009WQQ64M These bell-cranks are expensive but are a positive fix to get that play out. GM should be forced to replace them on every "P" chassis ever made.

The shake is in the seat. It doesnt feel like steering wheel shake. I’ll crawl under with a bar later and check for play in the front end. I thought about doing bell cranks from supersteer when i learned how dangerous the stock ones are, but the truck never really had front end issues. It doesnt even jump around anymore like most of these p30’s do. Oh and also, im running out of money! Lol

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/22/19 10:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I the shaking is felt in the seat I would supect your tire being out of round of rim bent.Front end problems (loose ball joints, worm tie rods, bell cranks etc) is felt in the steering wheel. Did you check for the tire being out of round? Or check to see if the wheel wobbles?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> I got the shakes
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.