Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: I got the shakes
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> I got the shakes

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Octaneforce

Long island

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/19 12:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My platform is 1993 fleetwood coronado class a p30 with rear disk brakes (p32?) and 454.

I put 6 new tires on it a few months ago and a shake developed as soon as i got it back from the tire shop, so i assumed it was the tires. They are sumihoto 8r19.5. They were not the cheapest tires i could get. I never cheap out on tires.
Anyway the rig has been back to the shop about a half a dozen times for this shake and it has not changed. They replace something say its fixed, and then the truck behaves exactly the same.
So far ive done 4 new bilstien shocks, bilstien steering stabilizer, supersteer trac bar upgrade, 2 new rims, 2 of the new tires replaced (warrantied). The front end is tight, springs and airbags are fairly new and i keep the bags at 80psi. Ive experimented with different bag pressures and never noticed a difference. If i continue to pour money into this pile of junk im going to change to non bag coil springs from supersteer. Thats would pretty much be the last thing i could think of. Unless my wheel cover simulators are making it shake, which i didnt think of until just now. The shake feels like an up and down shutter. It starts at 60 and gets worse as you accelerate. I will say the truck drives very steady and feels safe with all the new parts, it just shakes. Which is agonizing.

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/19 12:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That sure sounds like an out of balance wheel to me. One thing to check (far from the only possibility) is that the wheel balance weights are tightly attached and not shifting around. I've had some that were apparently not properly crimped on the rim and when they shift it's all sorts of annoyance.

rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/15/19 12:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds more like an out of round tire. Use your levelers and raise the tires off the ground and watch them as they rotate. you should see a tire that is out of round enough to cause a shake. Of course it could also be a bent wheel which will also show up.
There are also rings that are in the rubber tire itself and you can check them against the metal edge of the wheel to see if the bead had seated evenly or is off center.

happy2rv

Huntsville, AL, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/15/19 12:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It does sound like out of balance wheel. Do you feel it in the steering (does the steering wheel shake) or just the ride? Assuming each wheel has been fully balanced off the vehicle at least twice as you indicate, and assuming those doing the balancing are competent it must be something on the vehicle. The problem starting coincidental to the tire change points to tires, but there are obviously other potential unrelated causes. Out of balance drums or rotors is one potential but would most likely be more noticeable in braking. Wheel bearings could also be a potential problem. One thing worth checking would be to check each wheel position's hub temperature after driving some distance. The should be relatively uniform. Any axle or bearing issues could cause higher temperatures at one of the wheel locations.

2018 Forrest River Salem Hemisphere 282RK - 2017 RAM 1500 TV

Previous RVs and TOADS
2004 Fleetwood Bounder 32W on WH W20
2000 Four Winds 5000 21RB
1986 27' Allegro
TOADS
2005 Ford Ranger XLT 2WD
2004 Suzuki Aerio
1988 Chevrolet Sprint

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/19 01:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Probably too late now, but I would have insisted on first a complete rebalance of the tires and then 6 new or different tires as a test long before I started spending money on other replacement parts.

If as you say your shake started as soon as the new tires went on then then it stands to reason that the tires are the cause. Hopefully you and the shop have some kind of good working relationship. Ask them to hold on to a set of appropriately sized tires removed from another coach and give you a call. Take the coach down and swap tires and go for a drive.

Or have them replace one tire and swap it to all different tire positions on the coach with a test drive between swaps. This test isn't as accurate since you could have more than one tire problem, but it is a start.

1996 Suburban 4x4. 350, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

DFord

Near St Louis, MO

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/19 01:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Find a tire shop with a Hunter Engineering GSP9700 Road Force wheel balancer. It tests tires for out of round and hard spots. Sometimes, the tire can be rotated a little on the rim to achieve a better match giving you a better ride. Purcell Tire here in St Louis has one and charged me $30 a tire to check mine. Download a pamphlet explaining the features of the GPS9700 Road Force Elite

Here's link to find one near you: (there's several on Long Island)
https://www.hunter.com/gsp9700

The frequency of the vibration should lead you to the source. Tires are one frequency, a drive-shaft is another (more frequent).

Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

Executive

California/Arizona/South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/19 01:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Register my vote for an out of round tire. Almost any tire shop can put a 19.5 tire on their balancer. Obviously having them balanced ON THE COACH is the best way but if they spin balance them, you should be able to find which one is bad....Dennis

A Simple Act of Caring Creates an Endless Ripple
Dennis and Debi Ten Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/19 04:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am with Drew and others "Sounds more like an out of round tire."

but the suspect list includes the U-Joints and a few other things

Another thing, rare though it happens, is an out of ROUND tire
I have heard of that (just one case, former fiance's Father)

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

Executive

California/Arizona/South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/19 08:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In my lifetime, I've experienced two out of round tires. PITA, but balancing while on the vehicle is the easiest way to highlight it. Whether the mfg will exchange it is another issue completely....good luck...Dennis

olfarmer

Iowa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/15/19 11:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The above comments are all good but I would take off those wheel covers and do a test drive, just to rule out that as a possibility!

Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> I got the shakes
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS