Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: I got the shakes
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> I got the shakes

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
camperdave

northern, California

View Profile

Posted: 09/16/19 02:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

maybe they left the beads in the bag? [emoticon]

draboo

Cypress RV Park, Myrtle Beach,SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/16/19 02:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It does sound like a worn u-joint(s) or a drive shaft center hanger bearing. Do you remember if it vibrated when you drove it to the dealer to get the tires installed?

DFord

Near St Louis, MO

View Profile

Posted: 09/16/19 10:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I drove a big Penske truck from St Louis to Naples a couple of years ago. It had 22.5 inch tires and must have had beads to balance the tires. Every time I came to a stop and started off again, the tires would be out of balance. I'd have to drive a couple of miles for them to smooth out again. I'm not a fan of putting a bunch of beads, powder or dust inside tires. I'll always go with a good wheel balance. I'd rather pay for balancing my tires than have them put crystals inside them for free.

Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

Octaneforce

Long island

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/19 09:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DFord wrote:

I drove a big Penske truck from St Louis to Naples a couple of years ago. It had 22.5 inch tires and must have had beads to balance the tires. Every time I came to a stop and started off again, the tires would be out of balance. I'd have to drive a couple of miles for them to smooth out again. I'm not a fan of putting a bunch of beads, powder or dust inside tires. I'll always go with a good wheel balance. I'd rather pay for balancing my tires than have them put crystals inside them for free.

I have noticed that if i keep the truck on cruise control and dont hit any bumps sometimes the shake will seem to fade.

Ive been watching tons of youtube videos about issues with the bead balancing and im 99% sure the beads are my issue. The can clump up on any amount of moisture, and i can see on the tires where the techs used lube to mount them! Theres tons of it! If you ask me, that lube must have made its way to the inside of the tire bead and mixed with the beads, causing them to clump.

So the question now is, can i have these tires road force balanced with the beads still in the tire? Or does the tire have to come off and get cleaned out? Really amazing help from everyone here! I needed this

Octaneforce

Long island

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/19 09:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

http://www.centramatic.com/wheel-balancer.rhtml?modelNumber=400-417

Heres what im thinking as a solution. They seem to have great feedback.

Bruce Brown

Northern NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/18/19 06:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Octaneforce wrote:

So the question now is, can i have these tires road force balanced with the beads still in the tire? Or does the tire have to come off and get cleaned out? Really amazing help from everyone here! I needed this

It sounds like you might be on to something.

With that said, if you want to balance them another way, the beads need to come out. The only way to do that is remove the tire.

There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

Bruce Brown

Northern NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/18/19 06:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

camperdave wrote:

Believe it or not thats how they're supposed to do it. Drop in the number of bags required, they break open when you head down the road.

In ours they've worked well.

Octaneforce

Long island

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/19 08:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bruce Brown wrote:

camperdave wrote:

Believe it or not thats how they're supposed to do it. Drop in the number of bags required, they break open when you head down the road.

In ours they've worked well.

I think the bag is part of the problem. One guy on youtube dismounts a tire that had beads for a short amount of time. He rolls the unmounted tire on the the ground and you can see the bag get all caught up and create clumps of beads.

https://youtu.be/ZxTzXDL80mI

Octaneforce

Long island

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/19 08:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bruce Brown wrote:

Octaneforce wrote:

It sounds like you might be on to something.

With that said, if you want to balance them another way, the beads need to come out. The only way to do that is remove the tire.

I cant have beads in the tires along with centramatic rings? I dont see why not. I feel like they would work together and allow for the ability to correct huge imbalances. Or at the very least, one would correct the other. However this is total bro science and i could be wrong.

Bruce Brown

Northern NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/18/19 04:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe Centramatic rings, but not Road Force balance.

Balance them now with the beads in X location within the tire.

Drive 20 feet and the beads are now in a different spot. If you want to do a Road Force balance the beads gotta go.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> I got the shakes
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS