cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for quality

Daryl
Explorer
Explorer
Anybody known for making a high-quality, no frills TT?

We don't want fancy. We want quality. It seems we can get fancy. It seems we can get quality and fancy. What we are having a hard time finding is quality without the fancy.

Sorry for such a vague, subjective question. We currently camp with a 15 year old Winnebago 32' Class A that we have found to be very well built. The RV before that was an old Fleetwood Jamboree Searcher bunkhouse that we loved, but outgrew.

We have been searching for just a short while and are really disappointed in what we've seen as far as quality. We see, what appears to us, to be a whole lot of lipstick on a pig. Low quality construction, fit and finish with a whole lot of fancy looking stuff. We have seen what we felt was a well built trailer but much fancier interior than we are needing.

Solid frame. Good quality windows and insulation. Quality roof. Good countertops and fixtures. No fireplace. No 50" TV. No outdoor kitchen. No outdoor TV.

Onan genset, Flexsteel Furniture would be plusses in our book.

Tag trailer, 23'-29' overall length. Weight not important. Would love rear dinette, mid bath, jack-knife couch. No appliances on any slide(s).

Thanks!
41 REPLIES 41

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
jnslprd wrote:
I am a new Rv'er and we shopped for over a year and looked at so many trailers it would make your head spin. My wife had watched all the Arctic fox videos and read whatever info was online and we finally decided to trek the 300+ miles to our closest dealer. We had gone to a few other dealerships that weekend before going to the Northwood dealer. Within 5 minutes we knew what brand we were going with.
It was a 95 degree weekend and every trailer we looked at was 120 degrees inside and smelled so bad of chemicals and fake wood, you couldn't stay in them for more than 5 minutes. When we went inside the first Arctic Fox it was 30 degrees cooler inside and there was nor particle board odor. Although the price was almost double some of the trailers we looked at, you can definitely see, feel and smell the difference. We ordered a 25w that day and got it about 6 months later. I am on my first season with it and it really is nice. It is insulated very well and stays at 65 degrees in 90 degree weather and is easy to heat with a small electric heater.

Here is a good video of the factory tour.

https://youtu.be/Y1YkfSLNtIE
If you camp in serious cold, do not rely on electric heat. It does little to nothing to keep the plumbing from freezing.The propane furnace will do the job.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
Blazing Zippers wrote:
I like my Outdoor RV. HOOHAW!! Maybe mine was built on a Wednesday, but so far, it's FAR better then the 2016 Keystone Cougar that I worked on for two years. That's just my opinion and understand others may think differently.

I'm with ya. No issues with my ORV. A call to the factory gets you pretty much anything you might need. Wiring Schematics, Plumbing diagrams. Parts, info. Pretty much any questions answered. Dealers? Don't really know....my dealer was in Los Angeles. Never took my trailer back for anything. If I was buying again, I'd look at ORV first. Also, I think for the most all the electronics and appliances pretty much the same quality and they all use the same ones. It's never gonna be perfect. I think anyone that expects perfection in an RV or at least and RV that's going to used as a camper should probably start looking a Hotels.
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

jnslprd
Explorer
Explorer
I am a new Rv'er and we shopped for over a year and looked at so many trailers it would make your head spin. My wife had watched all the Arctic fox videos and read whatever info was online and we finally decided to trek the 300+ miles to our closest dealer. We had gone to a few other dealerships that weekend before going to the Northwood dealer. Within 5 minutes we knew what brand we were going with.
It was a 95 degree weekend and every trailer we looked at was 120 degrees inside and smelled so bad of chemicals and fake wood, you couldn't stay in them for more than 5 minutes. When we went inside the first Arctic Fox it was 30 degrees cooler inside and there was nor particle board odor. Although the price was almost double some of the trailers we looked at, you can definitely see, feel and smell the difference. We ordered a 25w that day and got it about 6 months later. I am on my first season with it and it really is nice. It is insulated very well and stays at 65 degrees in 90 degree weather and is easy to heat with a small electric heater.

Here is a good video of the factory tour.

https://youtu.be/Y1YkfSLNtIE

mitw44
Explorer
Explorer
I am strongly looking at ATC, for many of the reasons you mentioned. Well made, qualit, without a bunch of frills.. Not because they are a toy hauler, but because of their quality construction, and because the garage area looks like it would make a very flexible living area. If I want to haul a couple bicycles, so much the better.
2009 F 250 XLT SC 4x4 3.73 LS 5.4L V8
2017 Forest River Salem Cruise Lite 171 RBXL

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad
wanderingaimlessly wrote:
Have not owned one, but have mat a couple that loved their Livin lite trailer, claimed well built and they are not as "frilly" as most others. Being in Ca. they should be relatively easy to locate some.
Look over the features, a lot of their plusses are not readily visible, windows etc.
CampLite

I've had a Camplite 21BHS for 6 years now and it has been excellent. Sadly, LivinLite, the company who manufactured CampLite was purchased by Thor, placed under KZ and destroyed. They finally ceased production this year. What a waste. Just got back from 10 days in TN last night and still really enjoy that camper.

2013 Camplite 21BHS Trailer, Ram 1500 Tow Vehicle

Daryl
Explorer
Explorer
JG wrote:
https://www.curbed.com/2019/9/18/20870828/rv-camper-repairs-poor-quality?fbclid=IwAR2OXQ6S6OQGiMYgAsJUWJLzpOPM2yI-x2C751tQUulUvqG7HY1pFGkTHvA

Thanks for that. Yes. This will be our 4th RV. Started with an old Fireball TT, then a Fleetwood Jamboree Searcher class C, then a Winnebago Brave Class A. None of them were purchased new. I don't intend for this to be the first. I'm not interested in being the QA/QC department for any manufacturer. I want it new-ish so it's not used up, but old enough that the original owner had all the problems sorted.

JG
Explorer
Explorer
JG wrote:
Daryl wrote:
Waunacamper wrote:
Try the Outdoors RV "Back Country series". Sister company to Northwood.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/RVHorrorStories/
2019 Casita Liberty
2015 Chevy Truck
Wonderful wife since 1969

JG
Explorer
Explorer
Daryl wrote:
Waunacamper wrote:

The list has shortened. After some shopping today we've tentatively decided it will likely be an Outdoors Back Country or an Arctic Fox (in that order of preference).

A good friend who's been in the RV industry as a Service Manager for almost 20 years shared his thoughts with us as well. Seems as though he believes they're almost all ****, just some less crappier than others ;). An earthquake on wheels. He suggested to add a Flagstaff to our list to at least check out in person before eliminating it from contention. He felt like next to Tiffin in the Class A world, no manufacturer stands behind their products any better when it comes to warranty work. He likes the Nash built products, just not how they treat their dealership network.

https://www.curbed.com/2019/9/18/20870828/rv-camper-repairs-poor-quality?fbclid=IwAR2OXQ6S6OQGiMYgAsJUWJLzpOPM2yI-x2C751tQUulUvqG7HY1pFGkTHvA
2019 Casita Liberty
2015 Chevy Truck

Daryl
Explorer
Explorer
Waunacamper wrote:

The list has shortened. After some shopping today we've tentatively decided it will likely be an Outdoors Back Country or an Arctic Fox (in that order of preference).

A good friend who's been in the RV industry as a Service Manager for almost 20 years shared his thoughts with us as well. Seems as though he believes they're almost all ****, just some less crappier than others ;). An earthquake on wheels. He suggested to add a Flagstaff to our list to at least check out in person before eliminating it from contention. He felt like next to Tiffin in the Class A world, no manufacturer stands behind their products any better when it comes to warranty work. He likes the Nash built products, just not how they treat their dealership network.

Daryl
Explorer
Explorer
patperry2766 wrote:
ATC

Looks like it meets most of your criteria, and I believe they have some customization capabilities up to what your wallet can afford

I am familiar with ATC. Strongly considered buying one and a tow vehicle years ago. We instead chose to buy the Class A and an enclosed trailer for the toys. As far as I know all the ATC's are haulers with rear ramp doors. Not looking for a toy hauler.

JG
Explorer
Explorer
Look at Fiberglass Trailers, Casita, Oliver, Bigfoot. Also Taylor Coach out of Canada. They custom build your trailer for you. Great price because of the Dollar vs Canadian Dollar. I think all units built in Canada are 4 season.
https://taylorcoach.com/
2019 Casita Liberty
2015 Chevy Truck

Daryl
Explorer
Explorer
Hondavalk wrote:
https://www.airstream.com/

Very pricey but high quality

No doubt they are high quality. I can't get past feeling like I'm hauling a big twinkie down the road, or in an episode of I Love Lucy. Absurd, I know.

Daryl
Explorer
Explorer
wanderingaimlessly wrote:
Have not owned one, but have mat a couple that loved their Livin lite trailer, claimed well built and they are not as "frilly" as most others. Being in Ca. they should be relatively easy to locate some.
Look over the features, a lot of their plusses are not readily visible, windows etc.
CampLite

Added to my short list to investigate further. Thank you!

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer
ATC

Looks like it meets most of your criteria, and I believe they have some customization capabilities up to what your wallet can afford
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation