Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trekking poles

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
Thought I'd pass this along.
My husband walks with a cane and has a balance problem, but loves to hike. We use ADA approved trails but but I still worry. We joined a disabled hiking group and they suggested buying trekking poles. They come adjustable so that when you hold them your arms are at a 90 degree angle, but if you are over 6 foot, you need to make sure you get the right size and if in doubt go to a store like REI for expert advise and fix. They are under $40 bucks so worth the cost.

(Im probably the only one who didn't know this LOL)
5 REPLIES 5

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
See, I was right, only one who didn't know about them.

Trekkar
Explorer
Explorer
Trek poles are great. We use them all the time, as we hike various terrains. As said earlier, get a good pair with comfortable hand grips. Enjoy the trails!
2014 Dodge Ram 1500
2021 Salem SFX 167RBK

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
Don't forget good hiking shoes. Cheap hiking shoes/boots will kill your feet.
Chuck D.
“Adventure is just bad planning.” - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
We've been using trekking poles for at least 20 years. They have save our bacon more than once on rocky trails in Colorado and Arizona. At our age we now call the geezer poles. Wife got cocky in the Tetons in August and was walking on a trail that was an accessible trail. Decided she didn't need the poles. Guess what? She did a face plant and bruised her knee, ribs and wrist. She is ok but still kicking herself knowing she would have caught herself if she was using the poles.

Just an FYI on buying poles. Do not try to save money by buying bargain poles. Highly suggest carbon fiber for weight savings and strength. Black Diamond is an excellent brand to look at.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
Maybe you are the last one to know, but better now than never. I've been using them for years, sometimes even in town. People stop me in the medical building lobby and ask where to get these poles.
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed