Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Do you use a cargo trailer?

steelhunter
Explorer
Explorer
Do you tow a cargo trailer?

I was thinking about getting one for an atv and misc things. Might be nice for extra water, a nice barbecue, fishing and hunting gear, and tools.
12 REPLIES 12

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
In 2015 I bought a used 34', 18kgvw, 3 axle gneck to move two house holds from Az to Co. It towed terrific and it was very handy for much needed storage for another year but it was too much money setting around and I sold it and got my money back out of it. There's so much you can do with them! Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
I live in camper when traveling, and work out of the cargo trailer.

Trailer is nice for overflow stuff, gas, propane, tools etc. I like to put the extra weight on the cheap trailer and its tires ad not on the vehicle.

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
We towed a 6x10 Single Axle for years - carry dirt bikes, extra fuel, tools, etc. Seems we never need that space until we have it, then it fills up quickly. ๐Ÿ™‚

We like it for the easy of turning, tight spaces, and smaller footprint.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
I have an open single axle utility trailer. Don't use it much with the RV, but have a bit. I personally like the single axle because it is easy to move around by hand. Even with a good load on it, I can pivot it in the driveway.
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II

Here is a shot I took yesterday morning before leaving Angel Fire NM of our 10' {14' overall} cargo trailer behind my new Honda Ridgeline. Inside is my Polaris RZR although I also use it often to haul my Indian Springfield. Just got the Honda but have been using our 24' Nexus Class C for 5+ years to pull a couple of different motorcycle trailers and now my ultimate trailer... the cargo.

Both vehicles are rated to tow 5,000# and do so easily. Loaded with the RZR the trailer weighs 2,540# - with the Indian 2,220#. Having 7' of headrooms is a very nice feature that makes loading {with the rear drop down gate} very simple and easy. I use E Track and ratcheting tie downs to secure the load.

I'll never go back to an open trailer as it is so nice to have your own portable, private garage that follows you everywhere keeping the nice toys out of not only the weather but the prying eyes of the bad guys. It also provides secure storage for the RZR {parked behind my motorhome at the secure storage yard} when my garage gets full and my snowbird neighbors have returned. :B

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, we tow a 22'x 8.5 enclosed trailer when using the 40' rv in our signature. We haul a small suv, sidexside utv, and a 150cc scooter in the trailer. One suggestion I have is if you choose a double axle trailer large enough for a suv, it is a good idea to have a hitch on the suv so that the trailer can be moved around at a campsite if necessary. A smaller single axle trailer could be moved around with a utv.
hotjag1
2003 40' Allegro Bus, 3 slides, 400hp 8.9 liter ISL Cummins

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

185EZ
Explorer
Explorer
20' Haulmark car hauler. 8.5' wide
Nice to have the extra room with a 4 seat rzr
Overkill for the bike though lol
I put jacks under the ramp and use it for the bbq or just sitting back

IMG_20190822_151100_01_011 by 185 EZ, on Flickr
IMG_20190915_192131_031 by 185 EZ, on Flickr
20190821_132150_HDR1 by 185 EZ, on Flickr
1432322885045_temp1_zpslyhyhi0g by 185 EZ, on Flickr

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Tandems for the above reason(s) mentioned. Single axle if getting into tight areas or easy ability to turn around is important.
For camping if you are doing dispersed camping and getting up into the back country or tight or rugged areas with it, I think single axle deck over axle (snowmobile trailer basically) is the best for that application. High ground clearance and ease of turning around or moving it by hand if not loaded too heavy.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

winniman
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 7x16 I put my golfcart and four wheeler in. My friend pulls a 8.5x24 that he puts his small suv, and his atv in. He also carrys his small fishing boat and motor inside. He also mounted 600 watts of solar on the roof, with batteries inside. He hooks it to the rv for extra boondocking capability. Depending on what you want to bring, I definetly would recommend a tandem axle. More tires, but safer if a tire ever blows. Two 3500 lb axles are a good start. If you are going to go big time like my friend, I would suggest two 5000 lb axles. Cheers

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Yes, for multiple purposes over the years.
Just for personal use:
Tool Van
Mobile garage/shop
Moving household
Sno machines, bikes, atvs.
Camping trips for extra gear.
โ€œCamperโ€ for hunting trips.

Have had several from Single axle 6x14 and 8x12 v nose, basic 7x18-20โ€™ tandem axle to 8x32โ€™ v nose currently. Looking to downsize now because I only haul 3 sno machines.
Along with a few utility/flat bed trailers over the years.

Different trailers for different needs. They retain their value extremely well, so theyre easy to change out if a different need arises....and very handy.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes. Behind a truck n camper. Itโ€™s the garage.

Suggest a tandem axle even a light one they ride smoother than single wheelers.

Suggest one with brakes even if not required by law.

Suggest RV type walk-in door latch and an interior light.

A vent fan is nice.

You cannot spin a tandem around by person power in a tight spot or to point the door where you want it.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
steelhunter wrote:
Do you tow a cargo trailer?

I was thinking about getting one for an atv and misc things. Might be nice for extra water, a nice barbecue, fishing and hunting gear, and tools.

watch your weights. in general, the maximum amount of weight you can safely tow will be the lesser of the following:

- the GCWR (gross combination weight rating) of the MH minus the actual weight of the MH (defined as the sum of the actual weights on each axle) as it is loaded for travel (includes fuel, fresh water, food, clothing, people, pets, supplies, etc.)

- the weight rating of your tow bar

- the weight rating of your hitch

this is why it's vital to know what your MH weighs as it is loaded and configure for travel before choosing a toad. Your MH will not collapse if it is overloaded but you will experience handling issues as well as longer braking distances and accelerated wear on suspension, brakes, steering, etc.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle