Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Vent fans and a/c at the same time
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Vent fans and a/c at the same time

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Lwiddis

Hearst San Simeon State Park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/15/19 05:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For a very few minutes beginning when the A/C is initially started...possibly.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2019 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/15/19 05:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Stirring the air is a good idea. A couple of fans is a good idea. The AC system in RV’s is a closed system just like pressing Recirc on the dash AC system in your car. If you turn on a powerful exhaust fan to send air out from inside the RV that air has to come IN from somewhere. That air will be warmer than any air going out the top. It MAY help raise the vent cover a smidge to allow hot air to naturally escape, but don’t use the fan.

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/19 07:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've always figured that the air going out has to be replaced by air coming from somewhere, and that somewhere is going to be from outside. If it's hot outside it's pulling hot air into the camper. Seems kind of a self-defeating cycle.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Rick Jay

Greater Springfield area, MA

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/19 07:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would think it would help for initial cool down to get rid of most of the heat, but once the interior temp drops much below the outside temp, I'd shut off the fan. As other have said, the air being exhausted will be replaced with warm, possibly humid, outside air, so there's no benefit to that.

Without any testing to backup my claims, my fans allow me to run the fan with the vent CLOSED. This might be helpful in "stirring" the air somewhat, though, I've never used them for this purpose.

When spending the summer in Florida a couple of years back, we DID have a small box fan blowing cool air from our bedroom down the hall into the main living area of the RV up front during the hottest parts of the days. THAT made a difference.

~Rick

2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (22-Angel, Lexi96.org), 1 girl (17), 2 boys (19 & 16).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

wopachop

lb

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/19 07:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I do it all the time amigo. Nice to have fresh air coming in. I actually have a blower that blows in fresh air. Also have a computer fan blowing out the roof vent.

I adjust their speed as I see fit. Sometimes they're off. Sometimes full blast. Sometimes just barely on low.

larry cad

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 09/16/19 05:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

I've always figured that the air going out has to be replaced by air coming from somewhere, and that somewhere is going to be from outside. If it's hot outside it's pulling hot air into the camper. Seems kind of a self-defeating cycle.

I think we have lost track of one important detail: We need to be talking about "HEAT", not necessarily just air. Heat comes in regardless of whether the exhaust fan is running or not. It certainly comes in via the roof, and via the window glass, and via the side walls. That heat can either be cooled by the A/C, or by venting it out the roof, since it rises to the ceiling naturally. Since the ceiling is where the A/C gets its air to cool, it makes sense that if that air is cooler to begin with, the A/C has to work less. The cool air from the A/C naturally drops and heat rises. Suck a bit of that hot air out the roof and the cool air below will rise a bit, making it easier to cool down to an even lower temperature. As was stated earlier, similar to a recirc system in a car.

Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 09/16/19 05:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok. I know some fans can be run with the vents closed and this acts as a ceiling fan. Otherwise with the AC fan running the air doesn't have a chance to stagnate and get hot.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

prichardson

Lafayette, La

View Profile

Posted: 09/16/19 07:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To the OP - Are the units cycling, ie satisfying the thermostat? If so set a little cooler. Also if you set the fan to on rather than auto it will keep the air circulating thus feeling cooler.

Sam Spade

North Central Florida

View Profile

Posted: 09/16/19 08:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

You figured right.
Think about those portable air conditioners.....that have only ONE hose that you stick out the window.
They are a cruel joke, because they are sucking in replacement air that is HOT through all the air leaks all over the house.
Their actual efficiency is about half what is claimed because of that.

'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

Sam Spade

North Central Florida

View Profile

Posted: 09/16/19 08:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

larry cad wrote:

Suck a bit of that hot air out the roof and the cool air below will rise a bit, making it easier to cool down to an even lower temperature. As was stated earlier, similar to a recirc system in a car.

You are missing a critical point here.
You accomplish "recirc" when all windows and doors and vents are CLOSED.
IF....you are sucking hot air out, the air that seeps in to replace it likely is even HOTTER.

Summary: It is NOT a good idea....unless the interior is hotter than it is outside.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Vent fans and a/c at the same time
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS