cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hooking up Fifth Wheel

skinnyme
Explorer
Explorer
If the Fifth Wheel is sitting on a level surface, and the truck is running uphill about 16 inches in the length of the truck, is this going to create a problem when hooking up. I have no trouble hooking up my travel trailer, but I'm wondering if this situation would cause a problem when hooking up a Fifth Wheel.
9 REPLIES 9

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
DutchmenSport wrote:
I've had a 5er for only 1 year now and been parked on some pretty uneven campsites, including trailer and truck being at weird horizontal angles to each other. It takes some minor raising and lowering of the front of the trailer, a pinch at a time, but apart from really taking my time to do so, not a problem. The secret is to just take your time, get out and check everything a little bit at a time. And make very, very minor moves, AND take your time. It's not a race. It's about doing it right.

I second this entry.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
rhagfo wrote:
The only issue I would see is if you have a tight rail to 5er clearance, the rear of the bed could get close to or touch the bottom of the 5er.

YUP! Beat me to it!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

rhagfo
Explorer
Explorer
The only issue I would see is if you have a tight rail to 5er clearance, the rear of the bed could get close to or touch the bottom of the 5er.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Campinghoss
Explorer
Explorer
You should be fine but I advise to ALWAYS do a quick pull test. I have been pulling fivers for many years and always take a few moments to do a pull test. Some folks argue that if the hitch is engaged properly by visually looking at it you are good to go. But I have seen fivers dropped into the bed with not so pretty results. It is cheap insurance.
Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
MorRyde IS with disc brakes
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucie our fur baby
Lucky 9/15/2007 - 1/30/2023

lmpres
Explorer
Explorer
If you do have trouble unhitching, try putting your tv in nuetral and keeping the trailer brake engaged. I never have trouble hitching, but at times when not level, unhitching can be problomatic.

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
The 5W hitch head should swivel to help with the angels. I think you find yourself hitching from side angels also, just insure the pins in the hitch & latched.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I've had a 5er for only 1 year now and been parked on some pretty uneven campsites, including trailer and truck being at weird horizontal angles to each other. It takes some minor raising and lowering of the front of the trailer, a pinch at a time, but apart from really taking my time to do so, not a problem. The secret is to just take your time, get out and check everything a little bit at a time. And make very, very minor moves, AND take your time. It's not a race. It's about doing it right.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Stop concerning yourself and give it a go!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
Nope. Just follow normal procedure.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver