Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: New trailer came off hitch!!
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> New trailer came off hitch!!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/17/19 01:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

philh wrote:

First time DW towed the trailer, she picked it up from the dealer by herself. She had watched me before, and I had her do it with my oversight, and never had to say anything. Her biggest fear, not getting it latched down. In her words, her itty bitty brain ciphered that if the front jack lifted the vehicle to put on the load bars, it was properly locked down... **** I love this woman.

Side story, after she had it all hooked up, dealership staff came out to inquire if they could help.

Good for her! She man shamed the staff!

2011 Bighorn 3055RL
2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley BD3
1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica and Mabel, both Rat Terriers!

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/19 08:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mikestock

Vestavia Hills, AL, USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/19 02:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

I always raise the trailer to try and force it to disconnect.. kind of like a fifth wheel pull-test.

Grit dog wrote:

^No, I never do that, but your process could be replaced with simply bending down and looking at the hitch to see that it’s set all the way down if you want verification.

Many years ago, when I had bumper pull trailers, I lifted my hitch with the jack to raise the "A" frame high enough to ease the latching of the tension bars. Must have done this a couple of hundred times, over the years, and never had a problem.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/19 05:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^Ok?
I’ve never had an electric jack either, couldn’t imagine cranking the jack back up significantly every time I hook up a trailer.
Let’s put this in perspective. Of the 100,000s? Of trailers that likely get hitched up every day, every year, how many come off?
Yes due diligence to make sure you hooked up the trailer right is warranted, but how many people check tire pressure every day or check the oil every day or check lights every day?
I’m sure a few will chime in and say “me”, but it’s risk vs reward type thing.
I suppose if one doesn’t have the confidence that they can actually latch a trailer right, then it is certainly a failsafe, but again, probability type thing.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

happy2rv

Huntsville, AL, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/29/19 06:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

^Ok?
I’ve never had an electric jack either, couldn’t imagine cranking the jack back up significantly every time I hook up a trailer.
Let’s put this in perspective. Of the 100,000s? Of trailers that likely get hitched up every day, every year, how many come off?
Yes due diligence to make sure you hooked up the trailer right is warranted, but how many people check tire pressure every day or check the oil every day or check lights every day?
I’m sure a few will chime in and say “me”, but it’s risk vs reward type thing.
I suppose if one doesn’t have the confidence that they can actually latch a trailer right, then it is certainly a failsafe, but again, probability type thing.

I can't imagine having a travel trailer that doesn't have an electric tongue jack. I'm sure I wouldn't do this with a manual crank either, but with the electric jack, its much easier to raise the trailer to get the anti-sway bars in place. It's a side benefit that its a pretty reliable test that the hitch is firmly in place.

2018 Forrest River Salem Hemisphere 282RK - 2017 RAM 1500 TV

Previous RVs and TOADS
2004 Fleetwood Bounder 32W on WH W20
2000 Four Winds 5000 21RB
1986 27' Allegro
TOADS
2005 Ford Ranger XLT 2WD
2004 Suzuki Aerio
1988 Chevrolet Sprint

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/30/19 10:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^ Sure, but it's looking for a problem where one typically doesn't exist.
I guess it all depends on people's knowledge, confidence or competence with the actions they perform. To me, once a person has hooked up a trailer a few times, it should be old hat, like riding a bike. Maybe that's not the case for everyone?

camperdave

northern, California

View Profile

Posted: 09/30/19 11:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After the hitch is down and latched, I stick my finger behind the ball and make sure the catch is where it is supposed to be, and didn't get stuck on top of the ball or something weird.

The surge brake mechanism on my boat trailer is especially tricky, it can look correct but the catch doesn't always retract when lifting the release so it's easy to get it on top of the ball. The release still goes back down and looks correct from topside after raising the jack, even though the catch is not under the ball.

2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

wing_zealot

East of the Mississippi

View Profile

Posted: 09/30/19 02:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

^Ok?
I’ve never had an electric jack either, couldn’t imagine cranking the jack back up significantly every time I hook up a trailer...
I did this for 12 years with my last trailer. It's really not much more effort. The higher the hitch the easier it is to hook and unhook the WD bars. So every time i hooked up or unhooked i would raise the trailer with the jack and hook or unhook the bars. Extra added benefit, I always knew the trailer was firmly connected to the ball.
Now i have an electric tongue jack, still do the same thing.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> New trailer came off hitch!!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.