Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: New trailer came off hitch!!
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> New trailer came off hitch!!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
cavie

Port Charlotte Fl/ Hindsdale MA

View Profile

Posted: 09/16/19 09:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

er78mph wrote:

I was saying that my current hitch ball size is 2 5/16, so maybe a coupler adjustment?

Yes, coupler must be adjusted to fit the ball snugly. you need to feel some tension when you lock it in place.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

ependydad

Here and there

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/16/19 10:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Has anyone mentioned...

Whenever I hitch up a ball hitch, I'll connect everything like I expect and then I'll crank up the camper using the tongue jack to put force between the ball and coupler to see if they pop apart.

I had a golf cart trailer (rental cart + their trailer) come off of my truck when I went to ride the 6-person cart up the ramp. Scared the hell out of me. Fortunately 3-4 big college guys came out and helped me lift it back onto the ball and someone familiar with ball trailers helped me get it hitched properly. From there forward, I always raise the trailer to try and force it to disconnect.. kind of like a fifth wheel pull-test.

2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/16/19 10:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^No, I never do that, but your process could be replaced with simply bending down and looking at the hitch to see that it’s set all the way down, if you want verification.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

er78mph

Chula Vista, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/16/19 11:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for ALL your replies, much appreciated! Scary experience and needed the feedback! I'll get to it prior to our next adventure! THANKS TO ALL!

Kevinwa

Western canada

View Profile

Posted: 09/16/19 04:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Weight distribution bars put an upward force on the coupler. They wouldn’t have prevented this from happening.

Boon Docker

Mountain Foothills of Southern Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 09/16/19 05:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kevinwa wrote:

Weight distribution bars put an upward force on the coupler. They wouldn’t have prevented this from happening.

It actually does the opposite, puts more downward force on the coupler.

troubledwaters

Potomac

View Profile

Posted: 09/16/19 06:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You're both right. The WDH is putting upward pressure on the cupling system as a whole, this is what transfers weight off the rear and onto the front. At the same time, it is lifting up on the ball and pulling down on the tongue; these forces balance out at some point.

* This post was edited 09/16/19 06:32pm by troubledwaters *

Walaby

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/16/19 07:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Guess that's the added benefit of the Blue Ox Sway Pro WD hitch. Lifting tongue and rear of TV with the tongue jack to hook up the bars. You have to lift it fairly high, so if the ball was gonna pop loose, it would do it while hooking up.

If it happened to me once, I would follow ependydad's comments, and lift tongue up every time to make sure Im connected properly. Takes minimal amount of time, and sure would ease my mind.

Mike

Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

1320Fastback

Vista, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 09/16/19 09:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I vote the hitch was sitting on top of the ball or a clasp failure as I've towed over 150 miles accidentally using a 2" ball for my 2 5/16 toy hauler without issue.

Since that day even though nothing happened I always double check the claps is on the underside of the ball and that I'm using the correct ball. I keep no other drop hitches in my truck either.

edit: I do not use WD hitch though so may of made the difference.

* This post was edited 09/18/19 02:18pm by 1320Fastback *

1992 D250 Cummins, 5spd, 4"' straight piped, sensors deleted, airbags, DAP injectors, 18cm.

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/19 10:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First time DW towed the trailer, she picked it up from the dealer by herself. She had watched me before, and I had her do it with my oversight, and never had to say anything. Her biggest fear, not getting it latched down. In her words, her itty bitty brain ciphered that if the front jack lifted the vehicle to put on the load bars, it was properly locked down... **** I love this woman.

Side story, after she had it all hooked up, dealership staff came out to inquire if they could help.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> New trailer came off hitch!!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.