cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

insurance company

monde48
Explorer
Explorer
Okay, this is for Canadian snowbirds. We had been talking to our insurance company about insurance for our time down south, and it has gone quite high, so we are wondering what other companies snowbirds use. Any help would be much appreciated
10 REPLIES 10

monde48
Explorer
Explorer
I want to thank everyone for the help. I think the secret is to stop having birthdays once again, thanks everyone

Flyboy320
Explorer
Explorer
We have been using Travellers Choice(travelinsuranceoffice.com ) for years. Have compared it to others but always gone to this company. We buy 142 day top up to my pension coverage. $99 deductable for $10 million coverage each. 62 yr old female and 69 yr old male with pre-existing & stable conditions will run us about $1550 this year for the 142 days.
Others may be cheaper BUT coverage is usually lower... ie $ 5 mil vs 10.

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Fizz wrote:
This should help you make a choice.
Basically there is not much difference between companies.

https://www.snowbirdadvisor.ca/how-much-does-travel-insurance-cost-canadian-snowbirds

True. Even the most costly policy for the highest risk condition is worth the money, when considering the alternative, which is buying a policy that doesn't cover you properly in the event of a major claim.

Or, as stated at the end of your linked article,

"Remember, although itโ€™s tempting to buy travel insurance based solely on price, you could end up with a financial disaster on your hands if you need to make a claim only to find out that your low cost travel insurance wonโ€™t cover you."
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
This should help you make a choice.
Basically there is not much difference between companies.

https://www.snowbirdadvisor.ca/how-much-does-travel-insurance-cost-canadian-snowbirds

almcc
Explorer
Explorer
While I don't use them for medical coverage (they insure our RV) Wayfarer has good rates and service, they also do out of country medical insurance.

Wayfarer link

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
I've used Medipac recently. This year I've had to apply for personal insurance instead of the more common group insurance. Waiting to hear if they'll cover me and for how much.

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Assuming you're talking out of province (Ontario) medical coverage, they're all pretty high as you get older, have pre-existing conditions, and length of time away, all increase premiums. Ford deciding to drop OHIP participation in out of province coverage, will also probably give insurance companies reasons to raise rates, if they haven't already.

Try your bank, and see if they offer travel medical out of province insurance. They may give you a better rate as an existing banking customer.

I know of no other "cut rate" insurance options out there.
Maybe someone else knows of a "great deal" out there?
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer
monde48 wrote:
Okay, this is for Canadian snowbirds. We had been talking to our insurance company about insurance for our time down south, and it has gone quite high, so we are wondering what other companies snowbirds use. Any help would be much appreciated

Insurance for what?
2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB
2022 GD Reflection 337 RLS

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe a health insurance rider?
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

Flyboy320
Explorer
Explorer
RV or personal? Who are you with now?