Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Refrigerator Outside Vents
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Refrigerator Outside Vents

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
stevemorris

ontario

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/17/19 05:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

we had a similar situation with a previous trailer, not the vents but the space above the fridge. the fridge "cabinet" was sized for a larger 2 door fridge but a smaller single door fridge was used. there was a 10 or 12 inch high space above the fridge unused and open to the "chimney" area.

i opened it up on the inside of the trailer and installed a box to close it in from the outside and added a cabinet door. bonus storage space!!

a side effect of this was a better running fridge!

our fridges are meant to be installed in a closed space with almost zero clearance except for the back which is technically "outside". the "chimney area is supposed to sealed from the rv living area

2017 Ram 1500 4door, 4x4, 5.7 l hemi, 8 speed
2008 KZ Spree 260

jkwilson

Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/19 06:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

opnspaces wrote:

Hey jkwilson, which piece, top (finished piece of dark wood exposing gap at top of refrigerator) or bottom (splintered piece exposing fins)? OP cut out two different pieces. Are you saying he should have left both pieces alone?

Both. The top of the refrigerator should be insulated and enclosed to prevent the hot air from collecting. The baffle should extend to the top of the plumbing on the back of the refrigerator to force the air to flow through it.

John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

lap527

Ocala, Florida

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/19 06:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Glad your fridge is doing so well. We had the rv fridge problems for 3 years and finally got it right. All about air flow and chimney effect. We added a piece of aluminum flashing at the top vent to direct the air out after we slowed the outside air turbulence down.

2006 Dodge 3500 dually 4X4 / 2013 Livin Lite 10.0 TC /Torklift talons, fastguns, stableloads, superhitch, and truss/
14'V Nose Trailer Hauling 2014 Tri-glide Harley Davidson, sold boat and razr 900, slowing down some!

powellmj

Benton, AR

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/19 08:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP here. Like always appreciate the feedback. I should have mentioned that I did fill space with a bat of insulation that ends at the edge of the fridge. So, there is no dead air space. As for the heat dissipating from the fins; I agree that the lower board directed the fan across it. But I have a hard time seeing that a fan in a enclosed space is more effective than a fan that is still focused on the fins with more access to air flow. The fan is still 6-7 inches below the edge of the board, so I don't feel like the air flow or direction was really affected. But I'm always open to you guys with the positive feedback and directions.

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/19 08:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Interesting, you can see where somebody in manufacturing started to cut the bottom out and then stopped. you have to wonder if a coworker saw it and stopped them before the cut was finished.

As far as the top piece if you look close you can see it is outside of the fins and there is a gap allowing hot air to flow up behind it and cause the bubble in the space on top of the refrigerator.

OP I would definitely create a new top seal that better blocked off the dead space. As far as the fin opening you should find the install manual online and see what the specs say. The manual will be very specific as to opening size and clearances from each side and back.

Which brings up another question. Can someone use some self stick foil ductwork tape (no not cheap $2 duct or duck tape) to seal all the edges of the baffles to the refrigerator? Or does the refrigerator put of too much heat?

1996 Suburban 4x4. 350, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/17/19 08:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I really don't understand why you don't read the installation manual and do what it says. Look for the one for your model number. For example: Page 9.

wnjj

Cornelius, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/19 09:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would add an angled baffle at the top and not rely on insulation batting to stay put. It will also create a smoother surface for air to flow past.

Also it looks like you need a vertical baffle to force the air over the top coil set.

Hurricaner

Hurricane Utah

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/19 09:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree that what you had is not right but what you have now is not right either. As was said earlier look at the install manual for your reefer and it will give very specific info on what is required to properly vent a side vent reefer, which is different than a top vent.

Sam

Sam & Kari
Hurricane, Utah

2019 Winnebago Sightseer 33C

Bert Ackerman

Palm Beach

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/19 10:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

More importantly, what was used to cut the plywood? A Rat?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Refrigerator Outside Vents
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS