cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Off-Roading Tractor Trailer

Wardster
Explorer
Explorer
Was travelling to Paducah, Kentucky this afternoon for work and recorded the video below of a tractor trailer running off the road. He did a good job of recovering, but he peppered me with dust, debris, and part of a barrel that passed beneath the truck. This happened on I-71S just north of Louisville, Kentucky. Fortunately, there was no damage to my truck or the NL, but I can't say for certain if the same is true for the driver's seat.

https://youtu.be/mmVz4ojMao0
2016 Northern Lite 8'11" Q Classic Special Edition
2003 GMC 2500HD Crew Cab 4x4 - Duramax/Allison
18 REPLIES 18

specta
Explorer
Explorer
NRALIFR wrote:
I also think weโ€™ve all done what you were doing.

:):)

I'd have to agree with you on this one.

Even the ones who think that they are the perfect driver.
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Iโ€™m glad you were mostly ok. It didnโ€™t seem like there was wind, but could have been turbulence from the truck passing the truck.

Besides the one guy here who brags about his MPG and โ€œslipstreamingโ€ trucks, I think the rest of us donโ€™t like to follow trucks close.

As you found, they can stir up a a lot of debris in a hurry, but can happen even if they donโ€™t go off the road. Of course, you also canโ€™t see what is going on in front of you which gives you much less time to react if needed. If you canโ€™t see in front of them, Iโ€™d say you are too close.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
Before watching the video, I expected to be able to read the semi trailers tag number. :W

Both from stripe spacing and counting seconds, it appears that the following distance was no less than 80 ft prior to the truck leaving the road. 2.0-2.5 seconds, maybe? Thatโ€™s technically closer than any driving instructor would recommend, even for dry road conditions but.............pretty typical.

I think the recommendation for 70 mph would be about 4 seconds. I also think weโ€™ve all done what you were doing.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Typical maneuver on the truckers part for discouraging tail gate'rs. It works also in the right hand lane when bimbo don't know how to safely pass on a 2 lanes hiway...but they have lots of experience of following too close.
I'm always on the wife for driving beside a big rig (she won't speed up and pass) or following too close.

Good vid ...glad you went straight and the roadside wasn't mud.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

huddlewalt
Explorer
Explorer
The video is interesting, but I don't think it will be the same in real life, lol
**** it, how much does a trailer like this cost?
I'd buy myself one! I recently bought myself a new tractor from https://www.heming-engineering.co.uk/tractors-and-machinery/rotary-and-flail-mowers and I like to run my farm on it.
So I think it would be nice to have such a small collection of equipment, haha
I wonder if it is convenient to drive such a car at the wheel. Of course, it is obvious that as a passenger it is convenient.
If anyone has ridden such a bike and has such a trailer-write to me, I would be happy to know any information about it!

northshore
Explorer
Explorer
You might have been following a little close, but none of us were there, you were. Videos can be a little deceiving and nothing can replace being on scene in my opinion. Thanks for sharing the video, Every one can learn some thing from this thread.

rhagfo
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
Following erratically driven semi so closely?
You deserve new underwear.

Up until he slid too far to the left he was traveling pretty stright, yes he was on the fog line, but not weaving.
I agree following a bit too close for me.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
otrfun wrote:
Very well said, Lakeside013104!

Thank you otrfun from the Desert SW

Lakeside

Wardster
Explorer
Explorer
wnjj wrote:
Anyone else really want to fold the mirrors down on the motorbike? Iโ€™m sure the view is a little clearer from the driverโ€™s seat though. ๐Ÿ˜‰

It's hardly noticeable as long as I remember to load it up correctly.
2016 Northern Lite 8'11" Q Classic Special Edition
2003 GMC 2500HD Crew Cab 4x4 - Duramax/Allison

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Anyone else really want to fold the mirrors down on the motorbike? Iโ€™m sure the view is a little clearer from the driverโ€™s seat though. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Thanks for sharing.

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
Very well said, Lakeside013104!

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
It takes a big person to admit when wrong. Glad you did no further damage to your rig and yourself.

It all goes back to feeling certain that we can trust the drivers around us to be competent, safe, and able to make the responsible decision to do the 'right' thing. If you feel that you can 'trust' a complete stranger with your life, your safety, or that they will not damage your property, then 'throttle' back on the defensive driving.
Otherwise, always drive defensively, remembering distance is your friend, and be prepared for the unexpected by keeping your attention on the road and your head focused on driving.

I believe a very high percentage of highway crashes are preventable. If only we were not following too closely, if only I did not get mad when this person cut me off, if only I did not choose to 'show' him who is boss after he gave me the middle finger, if only I was not speeding, if only I was not texting, if only I had done my preventive maintenance to my vehicle, if only I had not been upset with my spouse before I left home, if only I had left earlier for work, and the list goes on.

The point is, driving defensively and preventing vehicle crashes is a full time job that requires all of your attention all of the time. We are all human and make mistakes, but being lucky and surviving your journey intact is not worth betting on. When we get behind the steering wheel attention to detail on the task of driving defensively and preventing all crashes before they happen should be our utmost priority.

Safe journeys to all.

Lakeside

He made a decent recovery. Fact is, there isn't a one of us that drives "perfect". Note to guy following (which you acknowledge very clearly). Easy to cast stones, but reality is...we're humans.

Good vid for lesson's learned... thanks.
'16 F550 CC, 4x4 with Link Ultraride air suspension, '18 AF 1150. Just so we can play with our snowmobiles, dirt bikes and fishing boat. And new 20' tag along...kayaks, bikes, mc's and extra water and food!!

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
You were tailgating IMO. And you were lucky. Very lucky. Introspection, my dear Watson.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad