Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Off-Roading Tractor Trailer
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Off-Roading Tractor Trailer

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Wardster

Kingston, Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 09/16/19 05:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Was travelling to Paducah, Kentucky this afternoon for work and recorded the video below of a tractor trailer running off the road. He did a good job of recovering, but he peppered me with dust, debris, and part of a barrel that passed beneath the truck. This happened on I-71S just north of Louisville, Kentucky. Fortunately, there was no damage to my truck or the NL, but I can't say for certain if the same is true for the driver's seat.

https://youtu.be/mmVz4ojMao0

2016 Northern Lite 8'11" Q Classic Special Edition
2003 GMC 2500HD Crew Cab 4x4 - Duramax/Allison

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 09/16/19 05:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Following erratically driven semi so closely?
You deserve new underwear.

rexlion

Broken Arrow OK

View Profile

Posted: 09/16/19 05:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Everyone is lucky he recovered back to pavement ok. It could have been disastrous.

Mike G.
--for now, using a cargo trailer for camping--
To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven... (Ecclesiastes 3)
Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

Wardster

Kingston, Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 09/16/19 06:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

Following erratically driven semi so closely?
You deserve new underwear.

Not proud of that fact, and I chalked this experience up as a lesson for me too. Spent the next four hours being overly cautious from the comfort of the right lane.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/16/19 06:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow. At least he handled it right. Hammer down and yank that trailer straight!

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Lwiddis

Lone Pine, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/16/19 06:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You were tailgating IMO. And you were lucky. Very lucky. Introspection, my dear Watson.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2019 Chevy Silverado LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

Reality Check

North Bend

View Profile

Posted: 09/16/19 11:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

He made a decent recovery. Fact is, there isn't a one of us that drives "perfect". Note to guy following (which you acknowledge very clearly). Easy to cast stones, but reality is...we're humans.

Good vid for lesson's learned... thanks.

'07 F550 with Link Ultraride air under an '11 AF 1150. It's either a fishing boat, snowmobiles or dual sports; something is always being towed.

Switching over to a 2016 F550 with new Ultraride air...just need to get the flatbed built.

lakeside013104

North America

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/17/19 04:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It takes a big person to admit when wrong. Glad you did no further damage to your rig and yourself.

It all goes back to feeling certain that we can trust the drivers around us to be competent, safe, and able to make the responsible decision to do the 'right' thing. If you feel that you can 'trust' a complete stranger with your life, your safety, or that they will not damage your property, then 'throttle' back on the defensive driving.
Otherwise, always drive defensively, remembering distance is your friend, and be prepared for the unexpected by keeping your attention on the road and your head focused on driving.

I believe a very high percentage of highway crashes are preventable. If only we were not following too closely, if only I did not get mad when this person cut me off, if only I did not choose to 'show' him who is boss after he gave me the middle finger, if only I was not speeding, if only I was not texting, if only I had done my preventive maintenance to my vehicle, if only I had not been upset with my spouse before I left home, if only I had left earlier for work, and the list goes on.

The point is, driving defensively and preventing vehicle crashes is a full time job that requires all of your attention all of the time. We are all human and make mistakes, but being lucky and surviving your journey intact is not worth betting on. When we get behind the steering wheel attention to detail on the task of driving defensively and preventing all crashes before they happen should be our utmost priority.

Safe journeys to all.

Lakeside

otrfun

Desert SW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/17/19 08:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Very well said, Lakeside013104!

wnjj

Cornelius, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/19 08:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Anyone else really want to fold the mirrors down on the motorbike? I’m sure the view is a little clearer from the driver’s seat though. [emoticon]

Thanks for sharing.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Off-Roading Tractor Trailer
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS