cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Chassis-E450 VS E350

Road_Dog
Explorer
Explorer
What chassis rides better in a small class C 24 to 26 feet. Every class C I owned on 450 rode very harsh. I believe its because the 450 is heavy duty. Am I wrong? What has been your experience? Thank you for any input! Road Dog
10 REPLIES 10

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
Road Dog wrote:
Test drove a 2019 Winnebago Outlook 25J today on the E350 chassis. Drove like a dream. It has a 58% wheelbase to length ratio and is not Stiffly sprung. Couldn't believe the nice soft ride. I was so impressed that I bought it! This coach will be used for touring only and not long term living. Pick it up next Thur. Now I know the answer to my original post! I won't be towing either. Thanks for all the replys. Road Dog
Congratulations!

Road_Dog
Explorer
Explorer
Test drove a 2019 Winnebago Outlook 25J today on the E350 chassis. Drove like a dream. It has a 58% wheelbase to length ratio and is not Stiffly sprung. Couldn't believe the nice soft ride. I was so impressed that I bought it! This coach will be used for touring only and not long term living. Pick it up next Thur. Now I know the answer to my original post! I won't be towing either. Thanks for all the replys. Road Dog

Expyinflight
Explorer
Explorer
Our 25 footer (26 bumper to bumper) on the E450 seems to be the sweet spot, to me. The 182" wheelbase helps. Not a lot of rear overhang to drag on driveways or gas station entrances. OCCC of 4,209 lbs. We take along all we need, for weeks at at time. Typically carry 1/2 tank of fresh water. No chance of it ever being overloaded.
I had a front end alignment when it was new and loaded for travel. It has been smooth as can be from that day forward. No handling issues, even in pretty high wind. Blow by from big trucks doesn't bother at all. I'm comfortable driving it all day without arriving at the destination worn out.
2017 Winnebago Spirit 25b

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
cbigham wrote:
Pick your horse for your course.
So true.

For us, our course is very consistent. We always travel with too much front-end capability. It is unnecessary to jar the front half of the rig so much. We sit right above it too, so we feel the worst of it. I really want to tame the front suspension (with lower-rated front coil springs) to match the actual load.

cbigham
Explorer III
Explorer III
When it comes to bigger truck vs smaller.."better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it"

Frequently ours is loaded to the gills, with a motorcycle hanging off the rear rack. Close to load limits e450 for a 23u. OOn occasion lesser.E450 has a different brake actuator system, slightly bigger drums, and a bigger ring gear rear end. Fuel mileage reportedly 1 mpg worse. That rear end helps me pull the jeep with the bike on it (if I take it) up mountain passes easier. Pick your horse for your course.

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
camperdave wrote:
Ever drive an empty uhaul? Rides like **** with no weight in it. You need enough carrying capacity for all your junk, but don't want Overkill capacity.
Well Stated!

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
It's about the right match. Ever drive an empty uhaul? Rides like **** with no weight in it. You need enough carrying capacity for all your junk, but don't want Overkill capacity.
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
I feel our 2007, E350, 11,500 GVWR chassis is okay in back and harsh up front because the front is too light for the Superduty E350 front coil springs. I bought lower rated front coil springs to closer match the actual load with consideration to trip weight including us two people in the front seats. I don't think I will get to the spring-swap project until next spring.

This diagram of our rig visualizes the load distribution. Our rig here has the 158" Ford wheelbase. I think the condition would be greatly improved if it was built on the Ford 176" wheel base. Unfortunately the floor plan could not accommodate it.

Road_Dog
Explorer
Explorer
Your right! The one FourWinds I owned on a Chevy 6.0 was the best riding out of all the class C's I owned(5) Handling was also great! The unit I am looking at on Wed. is a Winnebago 25J 2019 no slide. It is only available on the Ford E350 chassis!

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you really want a good ride on a small Class C one on a Chevy Chassis would be the best choice.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C