cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2017 Ram 68RFE Question

mudfuel07
Explorer
Explorer
Was this a pretty reliable transmission? Looking at a 2017 2500 with it that has about 75k miles on it.
2020 Ram 2500 6.7 CTD 4x4 Tradesman(with a few toys)
2020 Puma by Palomino 32RBFQ for the kids!
28 REPLIES 28

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:

What you canโ€™t do is add 2 more gears to the 48, which is a real hinderance to the Cummins performance when towing, with only 4 gears.

Exactly.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Those of you that are โ€œpretty sureโ€ you canโ€™t do it are mistaken.
And yes you can build a 48 to hold insane power, same as you can build a 68 to do the same.
What you canโ€™t do is add 2 more gears to the 48, which is a real hinderance to the Cummins performance when towing, with only 4 gears.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ron3rd wrote:
Super_Dave wrote:
When my 48R dies can it be replaced with the 68R?

From what I've read, while you can't swap to the 68R, you can bring your 48 up to 68 standards with some heavy duty aftermarket parts

I'm pretty sure the aftermarket parts can make a 48 exceed a 68. Having said that our 05 dodge with its aftermarket 48 gave up the ghost a few months ago and got ditched for a standard mopar rebuild.

Having said that I would take a stock 68 over a pos 48 any day.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Super_Dave wrote:

From what I've read, while you can't swap to the 68R, you can bring your 48 up to 68 standards with some heavy duty aftermarket parts
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
wilber1 wrote:

... The 5.9 would be great with a six speed.

it is. ๐Ÿ˜„

my current tow vehicle - 2007 2500 5.9l Cummins 6 speed manual
'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
Super_Dave wrote:

There didnโ€™t used to be, too many computers involved between the 6.7 and 68RFE. Maybe someone has figured it out by now, The 5.9 would be great with a six speed.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Super_Dave wrote:

Anything โ€œcanโ€ be done but it wonโ€™t be practical or cheap. There are conversion kits and physically they are about the same length. But if youโ€™re going to go through the trouble of building a frankentruck, just swap an Allison into it.
Or a 6 speed manual if itโ€™s a dedicated tow rig.
68re would not be the top of the list if I was building a truck. Better options available.

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

mudfuel07
Explorer
Explorer
Ron3rd wrote:
I've got the same trans in my 2019 2500 and from what I've read over the years, it seems to hold up fine. Not many problems with that Trans or any other offerings from the Big 3. Live others said, the key is maintenance.

Ron, you were one of the reasons that I changed up from the Tundra since we were both in the same boat.

whjco
Explorer
Explorer
mudfuel07 wrote:
Thanks for all the info. I pick it up tomorrow afternoon. Can't wait to hook to the trailer for the first time!

Be forewarned. You'll have a really tough time wiping the smile off of your face after you feel how that Cummins pulls your trailer. ๐Ÿ™‚

I have a 2015 2500 CTD that has the same transmission. I've run up about 86k on it and the only problem I've had is an axle seal that needed replacement. The transmission has been trouble free.

As for the mileage, I'll echo the comments of a previous poster. The mileage on a truck of that age were probably highway miles. I wouldn't worry about it because that's not many miles for a truck like that.

Enjoy your new acquisition! Congratulations!

Bill J.
Lexington, KY
Bill J., Lexington, KY
2006 Starcraft 2500RKS 25' Travel Trailer
2015 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.7 Cummins.

mudfuel07
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the info. I pick it up tomorrow afternoon. Can't wait to hook to the trailer for the first time!

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Lwiddis wrote:
โ€œActually, they are all reliable IF you take care of them as in change the fluid and filter.โ€

Except on my 2019 Silverado...no dip stick.

So the trans canโ€™t be serviced? Lol

Yes it can. You just have to know how to do it

I know. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Haven't had a dipstick on the last 4 personal vehicles I've done a trans service on. The Mustang was/is unique, but super easy if you make an extension/valve for the drain/fill plug on the pan. It may be the first trans service I've ever done without spilling one drop of fluid, literally.

Ah! Missed the LOL.
I know the F150 is a pain. Youโ€™ll burn the skin off your hand trying to fill/check it!

On the 6 speed. The fluid needs to be changed more often than what the manuf recommends. At 60k miles itโ€™s black!!! Iโ€™ve seen the valve bodyโ€™s hangup due to the contaminated fluid. Keep it changed and you will not have any problem.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
I've got the same trans in my 2019 2500 and from what I've read over the years, it seems to hold up fine. Not many problems with that Trans or any other offerings from the Big 3. Live others said, the key is maintenance.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
dodge guy wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Lwiddis wrote:
โ€œActually, they are all reliable IF you take care of them as in change the fluid and filter.โ€

Except on my 2019 Silverado...no dip stick.

So the trans canโ€™t be serviced? Lol

Yes it can. You just have to know how to do it

I know. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Haven't had a dipstick on the last 4 personal vehicles I've done a trans service on. The Mustang was/is unique, but super easy if you make an extension/valve for the drain/fill plug on the pan. It may be the first trans service I've ever done without spilling one drop of fluid, literally.