cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mountain Towing

GraySwain
Explorer
Explorer
The wife and I are about to purchase our first camper. Most likely a 5th wheel. A friend mentioned, since we will be towing in the mountains some, to stay small for weight and maneuverability. Considering the steep grades is a 3/4 ton necessary even for something as light as light as +/-7200lbs? Any and all opinions on towing in the mountains would be appreciated. Not opposed to a 3/4 if we have to but almost certainly not going the diesel route. Thanks
38 REPLIES 38

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
IdaD wrote:
I'd get a SRW 3/4 or 1 ton. More truck for similar money, and they will tow a lot nicer than a half ton. Only downside is a rougher ride and, if gas, poorer fuel economy. It also gives you the option of getting a larger trailer in the future without having to change tow vehicles too, which would save you money and hassle.

In addition to this the diesel after 2013 has a built in exhaust brake. If you do any amount of mountain driving you'll love the brake.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
The sentiments here are largely divided by the Mississippi River, lol!!
Iโ€™m a guy that pulls stuff with a little motor and gets p!ss poor mileage, haha......with my company trucks only. Itโ€™s the tool I got provided to me for the job, for free.
Having done that for a long time I can tell someone with certainty what the minimum is to get the job done. But it doesnโ€™t mean itโ€™s the best choice. However if itโ€™s the difference between getting out and seeing the country or enjoying yourself be sitting on the porch, financially, by all means rock whatcha got.
Personally, now that I can afford a truck that is more than adequate, I choose to because I understand the virtues of that too.

Now add in folks who need the definition of mountain driving explained to them even though they claim to know.....They canโ€™t see the other side of the coin because theyโ€™ve never flipped the coin. So they blindly defend the barely enough truck because theyโ€™ve never hit traffic on a 8% uphill at altitude and had to dead start a trailer 20x in 10 minutes.
Mr. Swain chose to buy the absolute minimum truck capable of pulling his camper. Itโ€™ll work, but heโ€™s a strong candidate to start another thread next year about what would be a better truck for his camper.
In the meantime, have fun and go camping.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
There's another old saying: buy a big engine a get piss poor mileage 100% of the time, or buy enough small engine and get great mileage 90% of the time and get piss poor mileage only the 10% of the time you are towing. BTDT got that t-shirt, never going back there.

richardcoxid
Explorer
Explorer
Getting back to the definition of โ€œmountain drivingโ€ in many areas of the east and the Ozarks of the Midwest, yes, some of the grades are 8%- 10% but they are short enough that you can almost coast up to the top, out west for example: Hwy 22 between Jackson, WY and Victor, ID is 10% for about 5mi each side with a couple of 25mph curves thrown in just for the pucker factor. In WY Hwy 14 and 14A between Lovell and Burgess JunctionI forgot the numbers but they both climb at 8%-10% for miles and miles with some hairpin curves, Hwy 16 a little south is a little better but not much. Between Laughlin and Las Vegas or between Laughlin and Kingman, AZ, I-80 between Cheyenne, WY and Laramie, I could go on and on! But there is no need of more examples.

There are a couple old RV sayings that nobody talks about anymore:

Have a small engine, go slow and get P*SS poor mileage, get a big engine go fast and get P*SS poor mileage!
There are many variables but often a small engine running at 4,000rpm at WOT (wide open throttle) wonโ€™t get any better fuel mileage than a big engine working less hard at 1/2 throttle.

The other saying is: Almost nobody complains about too much of a truck but, a lot of people complain about to little of a truck!
2017 GMC Denali 3500 4x4 Duramax
2019 Outdoor RV (ORV) Timber Ridge 24RKS

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some of the main highways in Canada are more like 11%. Some of the grades in the western US are 10 miles or more. A good test for any tow rig would the road to Death Valley coming from the southwest. Around ten percent grades and many thousands of feet up and down over several ranges. Even with a one ton truck it makes sense to pull over and cool down and rest the brakes.

I will never understand "just enough truck."
A one ton diesel gets just as good of mileage as a 1/2 ton gas truck, maybe better. Especially with some bolt on parts.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
GraySwain wrote:
Dave H M wrote:
:h I think we ought to describe what "mountain towing" is.

Like what type of grades and what duration. Always, seldom?

Probably around 3 months each year we will spend in NC,VA,TN mountains. We have purchased the 5er. Dry weight is 6710. The rest of the time spent towing will be mostly highways and predominantly flat. Was thinking a half ton with air bags and a tuner will get me by but I understand all the reasons above to go for the 3/4 ton. Trying to avoid the purchase and maintenance cost of a diesel (buying used) and would prefer the mpg of a half ton.
Not to be rude but folks who really know about towing never talk about a trailer's dry weight as that is a meaningless number. Nobody every goes camping with an empty trailer. Gross weight, GVWR, is the number that matters, as is hitch weight. Just how much weight is going into the bed of your truck?
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Always or seldom has not much bearing unless youโ€™re talking long term duty cycle of the vehicle. One bad trip up or down a hill is all it takes. Itโ€™s not โ€œoh itโ€™s ok to smoke the brakes on this grade because itโ€™s the only oneโ€.
On second thought, maybe we dooo need to define it for those who havenโ€™t experienced it.

richclover
Explorer
Explorer
GraySwain wrote:
Ok to specify a bit better. Yes, 6800-7500 would be dry weight. Looking in the 26-30tt range. Also, I have plenty of towing experience. And Iโ€™m aware of payload and towing capacity. However, I have no experience towing in any environment with major hills/mountains. Iโ€™m aware of using the gears on descent instead of constantly riding the brakes. Thanks for all the responses.

Weight is one thing, engine is another. After towing a full up toy hauler with the second ATV in the bed of a 3/4 ton gasser Dodge... I-80, SW WYOMING, 18 wheelers passing me on the hills, I went Ram Cummins and never looked back.

Weโ€™re now boondocking on the Hamโ€™s Fork Ridge north of Kemmerer, WY. Dirt/gravel forest service road, steep grades, possible mud/snow make 4WD and exhaust braking a must.

YMMV ๐Ÿ˜‰
Rich
2019 RAM 1500 Classic 4X4 Hemi
2021 CanAm Maverick DS Turbo
Southern NV

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
To answer your question, mountain towing is what you get if you hop on. I 70,80 or 90 in FIB land and 1000 miles later when yer rig starts suckin wind and the engine gets hot going uphill and the brakes get hot going down.

Need a description......

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
1320Fastback wrote:
Dave H M wrote:

To me mountain towing is 6%+ grade and miles long in duration. Not really a hill that momentum will take you up and over.
Depends also on the road speed due to curves. Expectations on a curvy 25 to 40 mph road will be different than a 70 mph interstate.

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
Dave H M wrote:

To me mountain towing is 6%+ grade and miles long in duration. Not really a hill that momentum will take you up and over.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

GraySwain
Explorer
Explorer
Dave H M wrote:

Probably around 3 months each year we will spend in NC,VA,TN mountains. We have purchased the 5er. Dry weight is 6710. The rest of the time spent towing will be mostly highways and predominantly flat. Was thinking a half ton with air bags and a tuner will get me by but I understand all the reasons above to go for the 3/4 ton. Trying to avoid the purchase and maintenance cost of a diesel (buying used) and would prefer the mpg of a half ton.

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer

Campinghoss
Explorer
Explorer
I would look at the srw 1 tons in whatever brand you prefer. No one can actually say you will do this BUT you may find in a year or two you would like a nicer fiver which means a little heavier. I don't think you will disappointed if you did not have to change tow vehicles.

No you don't have to have a diesel but if you do jump in you will be glad you did.
Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
MorRyde IS with disc brakes
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucie our fur baby
Lucky 9/15/2007 - 1/30/2023