Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: electrical calculation please
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

Open Roads Forum  >  Do It Yourself Modifications and Upgrades (DIY)

> electrical calculation please

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
camperdave

northern, California

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/19 08:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a small thermoelectric dehumidifier that I keep in my convertible since it always leaks a bit. Works well in that tiny space, can get about 1/2 cup a day of water out of it.

2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/19 08:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ScottG wrote:

Too weak to have any effect at all. I recommend you save your money.

agreed. if you have a humidity issue you likely will need to remove at least a few gallons of water/day. the device you mention is likely a peltier device, lucky to remove a cup of water/day.

Go to a big box store and look for a portable compressor driven unit. small ones hold 3-5 gallons have an external drain. Now, they will draw about 1-2A on 120V when running, 1A is about 120Watts, so at $.10/kwh, it will cost about 10-20 cents/day to run it for 8hrs/day.

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

riven1950

NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/17/19 01:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DFord wrote:

Dehumidifiers are commonly rated in "pints per day"

At only 20watts, I'd doubt if it could remove a pint in 24 hours.

How about sharing the brand and model of what you're looking at and we can give you a much better idea of what it can do and what you can expect. Without that information we're all just wasting our time guessing.

Ok, here goes: humidifier

I don't plan on using this as a whole house unit. A/C seems to take care of that. Also, the TT has 2 max air vent covers and I leave the vents open 24/7 and we have not had a problem.

Where I planned to use this unit is in my workshop / storage area under the house ( house on pilings ). It is approx 12x14. There is no standing water issue outside, it is built on slab, no leaks. Just trying to eliminate a musky smell / dampness that I think comes because the room is closed up 95% of the time. No window. No A/C, just portable heater.

BTW My man cave is adjacent to this space and same size. Small pool table. It has a window A/C /heat pump. It is used much more often and there is no musky smell there unless it is closed up for a week or so. I also have an exhaust fan I run there at times for air exchange.

So there it is, you wanted more info. What do you think?

DFord

Near St Louis, MO

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/19 02:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Amazon wrote:

REMOVES 18 OUNCES PER DAY: Optimal function in room sizes up to 2200 cubic feet (220 sq ft)
That's 1.125 pints/day. It doesn't sound like much. Before you put it in, buy a humidity indicator and let it sit in the room a couple of days. Then bring in the humidifier and let it run a couple of days (make sure to empty the catch pan so it won't shut off) and see if the reading on the indicator changes any. 55% humidity is enough to get a musty smell. You won't know if it works till you try it but don't expect much.

I bought a 20 pint/day Frigidaire dehumidifier from Lowes a few years back. I never thought it was working very well (I ran a hose to the floor drain in my basement so I didn't know exactly how much it was doing). The second season I could tell it wasn't doing anything. It had lost it refrigerant charge - everything was running but nothing was happening. I took it back, they gave me another one just as good and let me keep the first one. The second one didn't do any better than the first one. I sat them aside and bought one Harbor Freight was selling - $100 delivered. It worked great but after many years, I saw a recall notice (fire hazard) that covered it and they sent me another one that I'm still using today. I scraped the old ones out and got about $45 all total for the 3 compressors. The name brand units at Lowes weren't worth bringing them home. If you buy one be sure to get an extended warranty to cover it more than what the mfg does. They don't repair them so if it acts up (as they often do), you end up with nothing to show for your money. I've got the tools and experience to repair them but they're not made to work on.

Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

riven1950

NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/17/19 04:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DFord,

Thanks for the advice. Still thinking....

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Do It Yourself Modifications and Upgrades (DIY)

> electrical calculation please
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS