cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

height adjustment

machunt
Explorer
Explorer
i have a curt 5th wheel hitch and ive already made adjustments to it. while on vacation i had a couple occasions where the bottom of my 5ver bottomed out against the bed of my truck. how can i increase the didtance between my 5th wheel and rails of my truck, without getting everthing else out of whack?
20 REPLIES 20

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Does your truck have spacer blocks between springs and axle housing?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
machunt wrote:
Because ian not real familiar with what you guys are talking about i will take pictures and post.

as to my curt hitch it is adjusted to the heighest point. i have some adjustment on the pin box but not much. what if i lowered the pin head ?

You want your trailer to ride level for several reason.
1. Equal load on the axles.
2. Help prevent chucking.
3. Bed clearance.

Earlier in your thread I provide a link to a bolt on 'Correct Track' from Lippert that will raise the trailer 2", switching to taller tires can add a little more.

On edit: Looking at pictures of other similar models, it appears that you may already have the Correct Track setup.

Yes pictures would be nice. I try to error high at 8" of bed clearance. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes that will help with the bed clearance.

machunt
Explorer
Explorer
Because ian not real familiar with what you guys are talking about i will take pictures and post.

as to my curt hitch it is adjusted to the heighest point. i have some adjustment on the pin box but not much. what if i lowered the pin head ?

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
jaycocamprs wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
"I have my B&W set to the rear on this truck, helps a lot."

Curious why you are setting your pin behind the center of axle instead of in front?

Because I had the same problem the OP has. Entering or exiting my driveway with the 05 truck I had 1/4 to a 1/8 of inch between the bed corners and the underside of the overhang. The driveway slopes up to the road, the road is banked to the other side That truck set the hitch head 2โ€ ahead of the axle. I had 7.5โ€ over the bed rails. Now with the hitch moved back 3โ€, higher bed sides, and 6.5โ€ over the rails, I have more than an inch. It takes more of an angle to close the vertical distance when the horizontal distance is less. Trailer tows very close to level, takes a tape to tell itโ€™s not. Plus extra inches with the tailgate down. Whatโ€™s not to like?

Nice!
Does it take some weight off the front? Probably does. But Iโ€™ll bet I still have more weight on the front axle than a gas truck. And Iโ€™m a long long way from RGAWR. The benefit of having lots more truck than needed.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Curious why you are setting your pin behind the center of axle instead of in front?

Because I had the same problem the OP has. Entering or exiting my driveway with the 05 truck I had 1/4 to a 1/8 of inch between the bed corners and the underside of the overhang. The driveway slopes up to the road, the road is banked to the other side That truck set the hitch head 2โ€ ahead of the axle. I had 7.5โ€ over the bed rails. Now with the hitch moved back 3โ€, higher bed sides, and 6.5โ€ over the rails, I have more than an inch. It takes more of an angle to close the vertical distance when the horizontal distance is less. Trailer tows very close to level, takes a tape to tell itโ€™s not. Plus extra inches with the tailgate down. Whatโ€™s not to like?

Does it take some weight off the front? Probably does. But Iโ€™ll bet I still have more weight on the front axle than a gas truck. And Iโ€™m a long long way from RGAWR. The benefit of having lots more truck than needed.
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
machunt wrote:
as mentioned in other post 2011 outback, 2013 chevy 1 ton dually. ive only had issues on this trip. i am only looking for a couple inches. and yes trailer sits very level as is. not really wanting to get into axle flipping and all that

What is your 5er to rail clearance currently? Is the pin box cushioned or fixed?
We have right at 6โ€ clearance with level setup, we have one host site that exit is fairly sharp turn up hill, it gets close but doesnโ€™t touch.
What are you driving over or where that you are making contact.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
Does the Curt have any fore & aft adjustment? Moving the hitch head back will help keep the rear corners from hitting. I have my B&W set to the rear on this truck, helps a lot.
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
machunt wrote:
as mentioned in other post 2011 outback, 2013 chevy 1 ton dually. ive only had issues on this trip. i am only looking for a couple inches. and yes trailer sits very level as is. not really wanting to get into axle flipping and all that

Do the spring hangers have lower holes that the spring can be moved to? Also Lippert Correct Track will raise the trailer 2" inches.

https://store.lci1.com/correct-track-suspension-alignment
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

machunt
Explorer
Explorer

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Me Again wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Need more info!

One option is lower pin box.

A little poking around shows he has a dually(newer?) with LT235/80R17 tires and an Outback 5th wheel 2011. So a subframe lift would be good route to go, as he most likely does not need the full 5.5-6" that "flipping" the axles creates.

When I raised my Cardinal I had Smiley's flip the axles and lower the jack plates for a 3.5" increase. the old spring perches made a great jacking spots on the axles.

To bad axles do not come with perches welded on both top and bottom of axles. Of course they would need a "This side up labels"!

Chris

Why =any= mfr in the past decade would build FWs without "flipped" axles from the factory, is beyond me. :h

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
With out proper info we are all ASSuming.

Sure we can poke around to try to find more info but why should WE?

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
enblethen wrote:
Is the trailer sitting level when loaded for the road?
What pin box is the trailer equipped with?
Waht hitch is installed on the truck?
How much des the truck sink when trailer is connected and loaded for the road?

He said "without getting everthing else out of whack?" Which I assume means that he has it level now, without enough clearance.