Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Big Brother- Tag on your TC?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Big Brother- Tag on your TC?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/19 07:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Like Utah,Idaho truck campers do not have a license plate..They have an RV sticker..I put my rear licence plate on the TC each time I load it so it can be clearly seen by the officers that pull me over..

The police get kinda crazy when they can't see your plates to find out who you are and a tiny RV sticker isn't a replacement for a license plate.

Idaho changed it's truck camper status a few years ago from cargo to an RV which is an RV sticker but no license plate..So when yo put that TC that hangs over the bumper on,the rear license plate is covered and not in "clear site"..From the rear any officer has no idea whom they are dealing with prior to contact with that person..Not a good thing for officers..

I believe Idaho requires both license plates of a vehicle to be in clear site and displayed in such a manor.Front and rear...That's my take anyway..

1994 F-350 DRW /460/k&n intake /415# torque/lance 9.6/Engel compressor fridge/3 gr 27 batteries/Honda 2k/Honda 3K/WH Camo 2250/Reese solid bar extension/Buddy heater/3 inverters//Happi Jack tie downs /Firestone bags/Yamaha Rhino/Winch and Lockers

ajriding

st clair

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/19 08:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My TC has a rear bumper (holding tanks) with two license plate lights and two screw hole mounts for a plate.
Officer would be hard-pressed to argue that my plate belongs on the truck, not the camper.

Define "permanently mounted", as mentioned in previous post, as far as "tag must be placed on a permanently mounted part of the truck"…

The TC is held on with 4 chain buckles. The truck bed with 4 (or 6) bolts. Either one can be removed with a wrench and some sort of way to lift it. Which is permanent? haha.

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/19 08:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

My TC has a rear bumper (holding tanks) with two license plate lights and two screw hole mounts for a plate.
Officer would be hard-pressed to argue that my plate belongs on the truck, not the camper.

Mine also and it sucks when I forget to move the plates..Atleast mounted in this way,any officer can run the truck plates(mounted on the TC) and see whom he is dealing with and there prior's..I doubt the officer cares much if your up to date on your tiny little RV sticker.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/19 09:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

5 pages later, aside from Bedlam’s example of the overzealous cop and trailer hitch ball on the bumper, has anyone actually had an issue with this over the 100,000s or 1,000,000s of Miles driven collectively?
Another rvnet solution looking for a problem that doesn’t exist for the most part.
And the weird part is unless you folks are thugs, in the unlikely event you’re pulled over for it, there’s still a 99% chance the cop won’t care.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

devildog1971

Rome

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/20/19 10:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Facial recognition, that is why I have tinted windows, a truck camper is considered cargo, you do not mount your tag on other cargo loads that might obscure your plate glad Georgia does not have front plates.

2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EXCDSE Dry Bath 2007 G M C dually crew cab and 2018 Harley Davidson Limited Low

MrPhelps

Huntsville, AL

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/19 05:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

devildog1971 wrote:

Facial recognition, that is why I have tinted windows, a truck camper is considered cargo, you do not mount your tag on other cargo loads that might obscure your plate glad Georgia does not have front plates.

Exactly! If I get a bill that is the only possible explanation.. NY or Pennsylvania authorities using a national data base and AI to establish the ownership connection...

- 2018 RAM 3500 Laramie DRW
- 2018 Host Cascade Dual Slide

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/19 07:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’ve been hauling TC’s for over 30 years, with trucks registered in OK, GA, and for the last 20 years in AR. None of those states have front plates, and all of my TC’s have blocked the rear plate unless you bent down pretty low.

In all those years, I’ve been stopped twice. Both times were in MO coincidentally. I don’t know if the tag not being visible was the reason for the stop, but they both asked “where’s your tag” during our short conversation. When I told them that my state doesn't tag or register TC’s they just said OK. They also both asked if I would let them look inside the camper, but then didn’t even though I said sure. Neither stop resulted in a ticket or warning being given. So what was going on there? No clue.

I still don’t move the tag, but I did buy some 2” reflective letters/numbers and put my tag # and state abbreviation on the camper’s bumper. I figured any LEO worth their salt ought to be able to figure that one out.

[emoticon][emoticon]

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/19 09:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NRALIFR wrote:

I still don’t move the tag, but I did buy some 2” reflective letters/numbers and put my tag # and state abbreviation on the camper’s bumper. I figured any LEO worth their salt ought to be able to figure that one out.

[emoticon][emoticon]

Displaying double plates is against the law.
Ask me how I know that?

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/19 12:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

NRALIFR wrote:

[emoticon][emoticon]

Displaying double plates is against the law.
Ask me how I know that?

He's not displaying duplicate plates.
He's only putting some 2” reflective letters/numbers on the back of his camper.

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd
Regular cab. The best looking trucks.
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
6580 lb truck 10540 fully loaded

SidecarFlip

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/19 06:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My Torquelift Glo Steps completely obscure my plate, no way you could ever see it unless you got down and looked under the folded steps, why I added a license plate bracket to the bottom of the camper and mount the truck plate there.

After reading along, I called the Michigan State Police and asked them for a verification and the trooper on duty told me if I want to mount the plate in plain sight, Michigan was good with that. We don't have camper registration either nor do we have a front plate. I sure as heck don't want any LE getting his (or her) knees dirty crawling under my camper to check the plate, if, I got pulled over for something which not being stopped for at least the last 20 years is pretty slim.

So, I'll keep my tag in plain sight when I have the TC in the bed and you can do as you wish.

Far as wanting to 'see' in your camper, I suspect the officer was 'feeling you out' to ascertain if you might be carrying something illegal inside. He wanted to see your reaction before proceeding. When he got a neutral reaction, his training told him you were clean.

if I got stopped and an officer want to see 'inside', I'd invite him in for a cold soda.

2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Big Brother- Tag on your TC?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.