Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: New to RVing
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> New to RVing

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
AJR

Close to Madison Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/19 08:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I spent well over $1000 to stabilize my E350 on the road due to wind and trucks passing and cut down on the engine noise due to down shifting on very moderate grades.

Pianotuna, I am happy you are happy with your modifications to your E450.

“Air Tabs”, must be very impressive.

2014 Leprechaun 290QB Chevy 6.0
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/19 08:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AJR,

I think the 450 may be inherently better than the 350 as far as cross winds due to the much stiffer suspension. I may be totally out to lunch about this.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

PatJ

Eastern WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/19 10:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I will add my opinion:

We also do a lot of "boondocking," but there are different types of boondocking. We are weekenders. We have school-age children and 40 hr/wk M-F jobs. Our "boondocking" is generally 2-5 nights "dry camping" in ORV parks or "primitive" state parks, NF, etc. If the trip is longer than that (rare) we will break it up with a night or two at a premium resort type place in between. There are others on this forum that go weeks or longer without hookups in very isolated areas. Those people would choose a different rig than we would, and make different modifications. Something to keep in mind while reading replies.

This spring we purchased a brand new 23' class C (24'10" actual) with no slides and a corner bed. This is our third RV since 1996 so we knew what we wanted and this floor plan worked best for us. We have been shopping for many years and all the manufacturers made this same floor plan so it was all in the details and the price for us. The smaller, simpler no-slide floor plans also have more towing capacity which is good for us as we tow ~4000-5000 pounds of ATV's often. But everyone's situation is different.

There is very little difference between the E450 and E350 after 2016 based on my research. They have identical engines, transmissions, cooling systems, transmission coolers, brakes, and axle ratios. My understanding is there are subtle differences in the frame thickness and rear axle width however this is more dependent on wheelbase and not E350 vs E450. There are also differences in rear spring pack rate and sway bar rate depending on wheelbase and final GVWR. Take this with a grain of salt as I can not confirm but this is my understanding after much research and discussion with Ford staff. You state you are looking for a rig in the 2014-2015 range and I am not as familiar with that era. I will say the 6 speed transmission (2016 and newer I believe) is amazing and worth considering.

My personal opinion is to select a floor plan you like first, as all manufacturers make all the same floor plans. Floor plan is most important and cannot be changed later. By "floor plan" I'm including inside/outside storage, wheelbase/overhang/tow capacity, etc.

After you selected a floor plan you can look at the different manufacturers options and compare the details (storage, tank size, number of batteries, construction quality, price, etc.) Once you have narrowed to a floor plan they will probably all have the same chassis with same specs so don't sweat that stuff.

All just my opinion

Patrick

camperdave

northern, California

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/19 10:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Congrats on retirement! I've got 4,061 days to go (but who's counting?).

2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

Powertour

Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/19 05:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We just bought ours in August & got what I consider to be a great deal.... private party to private party (no sales tax). After having purchased 2 brand new RVs at earlier points in my life I resigned myself to not do it again. I prefer to let someone else deal with factory gremlins/warranty & of course the depreciation is brutal.

Every platform has it's pros & cons, including the E350 & V10 units respectively. I don't find either the road manners of the 350 chassis or the noise of the V10 to be show-stoppers by any stretch.

I'm pretty happy with the Itasca/Winnebago build quality when I compare it to multiple other manufacturers' stuff I've owned over the years.

Durability is a huge factor for me. The V10 is a known good/reliable pkg & I like that.

Happy Camping!

2015 Itasca 25b Ford E350 V10

ron.dittmer

North-East Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/19 08:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PatJ wrote:

There is very little difference between the E450 and E350 after 2016 based on my research. They have identical engines, transmissions, cooling systems, transmission coolers, brakes, and axle ratios. My understanding is there are subtle differences in the frame thickness and rear axle width however this is more dependent on wheelbase and not E350 vs E450. There are also differences in rear spring pack rate and sway bar rate depending on wheelbase and final GVWR. Take this with a grain of salt as I can not confirm but this is my understanding after much research and discussion with Ford staff. You state you are looking for a rig in the 2014-2015 range and I am not as familiar with that era. I will say the 6 speed transmission (2016 and newer I believe) is amazing and worth considering.
I agree with Pat.

2007 Phoenix Cruiser model 2350, with 2006 Jeep Liberty in-tow

AJR

Close to Madison Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/19 05:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It all goes back to floorplan. My current rig has a lot of kitchen counter space that I love. It also has a walk in shower that I need now that I am older. Plus the bed is off set so one side gives me more room to get dressed.

Past that, I found the stock Chevy chassis handles better than a Ford on the road. I have had both. Live and learn. Both were on a class C measuring 30’.

sandblast

salt lake city utah

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/19 08:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

ron.dittmer,

Great post!

X2

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> New to RVing
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.