Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Folding Trailers: Stopped to help fellow camper
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Folding Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Folding Trailers

> Stopped to help fellow camper

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
shum02

Burlington ON CDA

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/19 12:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good on you! Karma does pay back pretty good sometimes [emoticon]

I had a incident with a bearing a few months back that a good samaritan helped me out with by going home to get a grinder for me.

There are still great people in the world that ask for nothing a give a lot.

2006 F350 Lariat FX4 CC 4x4 PSD
2007 KZ2505QSS-F Outdoorsman

ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/18/19 01:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bert Ackerman wrote:

azdryheat wrote:

I'll bet the RV dealer will (maybe) give her a new tire and nothing more. Insurance will cover the rest. So much for brand new Chinese will-pop tires. They should be outlawed.

"She had a shredded tire on her new to her Rockwood A-frame. She had just installed new tires on the unit about 50 miles before heading out for a 2 week trip.
According to her, the tire exploded"

RV forums are great are they not, gotta love em.

From the original post you came up with it was caused by a Chinese will-pop? You also were able to determine it was not caused by a curb strike, road hazard, overload, overspeed, low air pressure, or anything else?

Awesome.

Agree. There's more to this, but the OP's stopping to help her was the point of this post, I believe.

To the OP - Thank you for helping out!

2011 Bighorn 3055RL
2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley BD3
1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica and Mabel, both Rat Terriers!

ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/18/19 01:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

azdryheat wrote:

. . . So much for brand new Chinese will-pop tires. They should be outlawed.

What really caused the blow out (or tread separation) cannot be determined by the information given without seeing the tire.

We had a "blow out" which turned out to be a tread separation caused by tires that were way too old to be driving on - did about the same damage to our rig which was all completely covered by the comprehensive plan on our insurance. Even damage to the tire in proximaty was paid for, but not the offending tire. What did we learn? To inspect the tires annually, yes alignment affects their wear and account for that, and stay within ST tire speed limits.

noteven

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/19 04:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well done Bob.

Well done campground.

rexlion

Broken Arrow OK

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/19 07:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ReneeG wrote:

azdryheat wrote:

. . . So much for brand new Chinese will-pop tires. They should be outlawed.

What really caused the blow out (or tread separation) cannot be determined by the information given without seeing the tire.

We had a "blow out" which turned out to be a tread separation caused by tires that were way too old to be driving on - did about the same damage to our rig which was all completely covered by the comprehensive plan on our insurance. Even damage to the tire in proximaty was paid for, but not the offending tire. What did we learn? To inspect the tires annually, yes alignment affects their wear and account for that, and stay within ST tire speed limits.
Your post reminded me of the time my pickup's rear tire blew and took out the fuel filler pipe. My insurance company insisted that my tire collided with my truck, therefore the higher collision deductible applied (not comp). [emoticon] As one may guess, I changed insurance companies soon afterward.

OP, this was a great assist, helping the lady like that. We need more people like you out on the road!

Mike G.
--for now, using a cargo trailer for camping--
To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven... (Ecclesiastes 3)
Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

BarabooBob

Baraboo, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/18/19 09:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bob here.

What was left of the tire was spread out all over I-70. The core of the tire was still there but nothing of the sidewalls or tread. I was not going to go out into traffic to try to find parts of the tire to do an autopsy. I checked her other tire and it was at 50 psi just like it said on the sidewall. I did not look to see what brand or country of origin the other tire was.
I did not want to ruin her day and explain to her that she was probably out of luck as far as the dealer backing anything but MAYBE a new tire and rim. I have no idea if she had insurance or not. Unless she can find a handyman, she may find that repairs will exceed the value of the camper.

Bob & Dawn Married 31 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

galexander

Omaha,Nebraska

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/19/19 10:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank You for your kindness and your caring for your fellow traveler.
As a side note, DW and I stayed at the Moab Rim Campground on our trip to the Grand Canyon in June and on our way back. The owners are a family and they do take care of their guests in every way. Great campground and very reasonable prices.

2017 Chevy Colorado ZR1 3.6L 4X4 Crew Cab
2019 Flagstaff 206STSE
Tekonsha Brake Controller

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Folding Trailers

> Stopped to help fellow camper
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Folding Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS