Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Heading to the Rockies for 5 or 6 weeks.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Heading to the Rockies for 5 or 6 weeks.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
bid_time

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/19 05:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The minute my F150 is picking up speed while coasting (in tow/haul mode) and I touch the brakes, the tranny downshift (sometimes more than 1 gear) and engine braking comes in.

lbrjet

Gold Canyon, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/19/19 07:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Desert Captain wrote:

"I don't know how anyone could tell that I was not using tow/haul by what I wrote."

No offense intended but this is what you wrote, sounded like you weren't using Tow Haul:

"On the downhill runs however, the engine is still a 3.5 liter gasser when it comes to motor braking. I have to use my brakes more than I would like on the long high speed drops. Today I came down what is probably my steepest, curviest downhill in my driving experience. This road was handled well by the EB because the speed limit was 25 and I could use first gear and had very good speed control with engine braking."

If you are in TH you should not have to use your brakes much at all. A light tap of the brake pedal will downshift the trans one gear, no need to manually shift down unless that's what you like to do though it does seem a tad redundant.

On a long 5 or 6 percent grade I select a speed that is appropriate for the road conditions and set cruise control while in Tow Haul. This usually gets me to the bottom of the grade without ever touching the brakes or at most doing so lightly and not often.

As always... Opinions and YMMV.

[emoticon]

I believe the OP's point was that a 3.5L V6 doesn't have the same engine braking capability as a 5 or 6 liter engine. The turbo is great for going up, but doesn't help you going down.

2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

flguppie

Treasure Coast-FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/20/19 08:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is it the engine size or transmission?

I went from a: 2010 F150 5.4L V8 with 6 speed Tran that was slow on the uphill climbs but great with tow-haul going down hill

I now have a:

2018 3.5 EgoBoost V6 with 10 speed Tran that was awesome on the uphill climbs and OK on the downhills with tow-haul. I may be tapping the brakes a few more times going down to get it to shift to a lower gear because I now have more gears....I figure that is a transmission difference, not block size. I have noticed rpm stays higher longer at the end of the hill run and it takes longer to get the Tran to shift back to a higher gear after once down.

FL-Guppie "small fish in a big pond"
2014 KZSpree Connect 220rbk
2018 Ford F150 SuperCrew 3.5L Ecoboost, maxtow

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/19 10:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No, you just don’t get the same compression braking with less engine volume and cylinders, especially combined with forced induction.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Heading to the Rockies for 5 or 6 weeks.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS