cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

wood weight

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
planning a local trip this weekend and for once we can bring wood instead of getting taken for park 'wood'. Anyone have a good estimate on how much a loosely stacked face cord of aged split hardwood weights?
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....
14 REPLIES 14

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
^ this is exactly what we usually do (pallet place across from work puts them out) but it was slim pickings this week. they put some out Wednesday so I filled the truck with them. worked out well.

_1nobby
Explorer
Explorer
I have a small business that builds shipping crates.
I keep all the cut offs and store them in Rubbermaid totes.
4x4s, 2x6s 2x4s...that sort of thing. Kiln dried....no park can refuse, theoretically.
I usually burn 1.5 totes a night.
Easy to pack in the bed of a truck....and if I need more for longer stays I might throw one or 2 in the TT.
Each tote probably weighs 50 Lbs.

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
sorry to disappoint but we will never know haha.

the pallet place across from my work put out bins of trimmings last night so I filled the bed with that instead.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Try building smaller fires and sitting closer to them.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I`m guessing around 400lbs? GUESSING!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
โ€œSmall fire is Ranger policy.โ€ Glen Campbell line in True Grit. You must like John Wayneโ€™s Deputy U.S. Marshall character...immediately builds huge fire.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

ZINGERLITE
Explorer
Explorer
I love that as well when we camp local. ill go to the local fire wood guy and get a heaping bed full usually like the Thursday before we camp. Its nice to have a rip roaring fire going all weekend long. Less smoke than they guys burning one log at a time from those cheap bundles.

Even if im not camping local i try to drive around for a bit when i get to where im going. theres always a local guy selling it at a better value than the camp ground or local gas stations.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
The volume and weight of a face cord depends on the length the wood is cut to. Hard wood weighs a lot.

That would be enough for a couple of months of camp fires and weigh around 600 pounds or more.

I measure wood for campfires by the wheel barrow. I usually take one for up to a week unless it is really cold.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Jebby14 wrote:
fyi^ a face cord is roughly 1/3 a full cord. I am not bringing the whole thing. im buying a face cord and filling my truck until I have enough or run out of free payload, the rest will stay home. just trying to wrap my mind around the quantities im dealing with and see if I can get the face cord home in a trip with my short box (empty just bringing it a few miles home)

Yes thatโ€™s no problem.
Iโ€™m sure the googler has a more precise answer.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
thanks for the guesstimate. I get it cant be exact and I appreciate you trying. that's sort of in the range I was thinking too. ill dump it at home and refill the bed of the truck to my likely. hoping to have around half of it.

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
Hard to give you a precise weight. The species of wood and how much moisture content it has will make the weight vary but you'll be fine if hauling one face cord of wood a few miles. If I were to guess what a typical face cord (18" X 4' x 8') of aged split hardwood weighs, I'd say around 600 pounds give or take.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
fyi^ a face cord is roughly 1/3 a full cord. I am not bringing the whole thing. im buying a face cord and filling my truck until I have enough or run out of free payload, the rest will stay home. just trying to wrap my mind around the quantities im dealing with and see if I can get the face cord home in a trip with my short box (empty just bringing it a few miles home)

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
A lot! I split my own wood at home as we use firewood in the house as a primary heat, so I have an ample supply stocked up aging and seasoning for 2 to 3 years rotation all the time.

When camping, I'll take the oldest, because the bark has fallen off or peals off very easy. And in Indiana, you can bring your own wood into the State Parks again, if it's been debarked.

With that said, I have 3 Army duffle bags I use to carry my camping firewood. Believe it or not, one is from my daughter when she was in the Navy - her original duffle bag (2005). I have my original duffle bag when I was in the Army (1982). And I have my Dad's original duffle bag from when he was in the Army, (1950 Korean war). Those suckers are indestructible!

I fill them with 15-24 pieces of wood, depending on how fine they are split. But when the bag is full, it's probably 50-60 pounds. And if the pieces are split bigger, or smaller, regardless of the number, the weight is about the same. These bags are about 3.5 feet long and maybe 5 feet in circumference.

An entire "cord" you are probably talking a thousand pounds or more.

EDIT:

Good info there Campfire Time! Thanks!

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
Are you really sure you want a full face cord?

An average seasoned cord of hardwood weighs more than 2 tons!! Unstacked it will take up to 200 cubic feet in space. An 8 ft. pick up truck would have to pile the wood uniformly at 5 feet tall to fit an ustacked cord. The average pick up truck can only haul 1/2 a cord of firewood at a time.

http://www.lifirewood.com/firewood-facts.php
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)