Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: wood weight
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> wood weight

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Jebby14

Windsor Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/19 06:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

planning a local trip this weekend and for once we can bring wood instead of getting taken for park 'wood'. Anyone have a good estimate on how much a loosely stacked face cord of aged split hardwood weights?

If it moves and it shouldn't..... duct tape
if it doesn't move and it should.....WD40
if all else fails .....BFH

Campfire Time

Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/19 06:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are you really sure you want a full face cord?

An average seasoned cord of hardwood weighs more than 2 tons!! Unstacked it will take up to 200 cubic feet in space. An 8 ft. pick up truck would have to pile the wood uniformly at 5 feet tall to fit an ustacked cord. The average pick up truck can only haul 1/2 a cord of firewood at a time.

http://www.lifirewood.com/firewood-facts.php

Chuck D.
“Adventure is just bad planning.” - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid, 2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71

DutchmenSport

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/18/19 06:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A lot! I split my own wood at home as we use firewood in the house as a primary heat, so I have an ample supply stocked up aging and seasoning for 2 to 3 years rotation all the time.

When camping, I'll take the oldest, because the bark has fallen off or peals off very easy. And in Indiana, you can bring your own wood into the State Parks again, if it's been debarked.

With that said, I have 3 Army duffle bags I use to carry my camping firewood. Believe it or not, one is from my daughter when she was in the Navy - her original duffle bag (2005). I have my original duffle bag when I was in the Army (1982). And I have my Dad's original duffle bag from when he was in the Army, (1950 Korean war). Those suckers are indestructible!

I fill them with 15-24 pieces of wood, depending on how fine they are split. But when the bag is full, it's probably 50-60 pounds. And if the pieces are split bigger, or smaller, regardless of the number, the weight is about the same. These bags are about 3.5 feet long and maybe 5 feet in circumference.

An entire "cord" you are probably talking a thousand pounds or more.

EDIT:

Good info there Campfire Time! Thanks!

* This post was edited 09/18/19 06:55am by DutchmenSport *

Jebby14

Windsor Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/19 06:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fyi^ a face cord is roughly 1/3 a full cord. I am not bringing the whole thing. im buying a face cord and filling my truck until I have enough or run out of free payload, the rest will stay home. just trying to wrap my mind around the quantities im dealing with and see if I can get the face cord home in a trip with my short box (empty just bringing it a few miles home)

RobWNY

Jamestown, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/18/19 07:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hard to give you a precise weight. The species of wood and how much moisture content it has will make the weight vary but you'll be fine if hauling one face cord of wood a few miles. If I were to guess what a typical face cord (18" X 4' x 8') of aged split hardwood weighs, I'd say around 600 pounds give or take.

Life is a lot like a baseball pitch. Sometimes you get a fast ball down the middle of the plate and sometimes you get a curve ball in the dirt.

Jebby14

Windsor Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/19 07:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thanks for the guesstimate. I get it cant be exact and I appreciate you trying. that's sort of in the range I was thinking too. ill dump it at home and refill the bed of the truck to my likely. hoping to have around half of it.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/19 09:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jebby14 wrote:

fyi^ a face cord is roughly 1/3 a full cord. I am not bringing the whole thing. im buying a face cord and filling my truck until I have enough or run out of free payload, the rest will stay home. just trying to wrap my mind around the quantities im dealing with and see if I can get the face cord home in a trip with my short box (empty just bringing it a few miles home)

Yes that’s no problem.
I’m sure the googler has a more precise answer.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/19 09:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The volume and weight of a face cord depends on the length the wood is cut to. Hard wood weighs a lot.

That would be enough for a couple of months of camp fires and weigh around 600 pounds or more.

I measure wood for campfires by the wheel barrow. I usually take one for up to a week unless it is really cold.

ZINGERLITE

Union Lake

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/19 12:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I love that as well when we camp local. ill go to the local fire wood guy and get a heaping bed full usually like the Thursday before we camp. Its nice to have a rip roaring fire going all weekend long. Less smoke than they guys burning one log at a time from those cheap bundles.

Even if im not camping local i try to drive around for a bit when i get to where im going. theres always a local guy selling it at a better value than the camp ground or local gas stations.

Lwiddis

Lone Pine, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/18/19 03:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“Small fire is Ranger policy.” Glen Campbell line in True Grit. You must like John Wayne’s Deputy U.S. Marshall character...immediately builds huge fire.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2019 Chevy Silverado LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> wood weight
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS