cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Generator Won’t Start

Kevarino
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2007 Winnebago Tour with an Onan 8000 generator. I let the house batteries go too low and can’t start the generator. Does it use house batteries to start?

I have the Motor running to see if that will charge them enough.
Kevin and Barbara
2007 Winnebago Tour 40 TD
Cummings ISL 400
13 REPLIES 13

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Kevarino wrote:
Thanks everyone. And thanks for the aux battery button idea, I thought that was for starting the main engine with the house batteries.

Just after I posted, a friend came by and we ran a jumper from the positive side of the house batteries to the positive side of the chassis batteries and that did the trick.

In most rigs turning on the engine switch does the same thing (connects the two sets of batteries). You should consider testing whether your battery isolator is working properly.
Kevin

Kevarino
Explorer
Explorer
I think they were toast when I bought the rig, that is why I’m having all these issues. I’m planning on replacing them as soon as I can.
Kevin and Barbara
Cummings ISL 400

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Have the batteries load tested to see if they are still OK. Badly discharged batteries can have a very short life.

Keep the batteries fully charged or add full disconnect switches to the batteries.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Kevarino
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone. And thanks for the aux battery button idea, I thought that was for starting the main engine with the house batteries.

Just after I posted, a friend came by and we ran a jumper from the positive side of the house batteries to the positive side of the chassis batteries and that did the trick.
Kevin and Barbara
Cummings ISL 400

SAR_Tracker
Explorer
Explorer
while I don't have 2 different sets of batteries, I've had my toyhauler batteries go dead after running the furnace all night. I have a small, 2-stroke generator (~800 watts) that I carry for just such an emergency.

Rusty & Cheryl
2011 F250 2WD 6.2L Gasser
2008 Weekend Warrior FB2100
"Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education" - Victor Hugo (1802-1885)

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure your battery terminals are clean and tight. A little corrosion can cause problems.

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Generator usually need a fully charged battery to startup - many will turn on the engine to combine chassis/coach batteries to insure that max capacity is achieved. Charge your batteries b4 trying to start otherwise starting just further depletes batteries. Also - make sure all battery/ground connections are clean - including those attached to generator.
Kevin

smarty
Explorer
Explorer
i carry a small jumper box for this very reason. We boondock alot and had this exact same issue few years ago. Jumper box is the way to go

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
In my case both banks are charged from solar, shore and gen. Not sure why Monaco used the house battery for the gen. I'm doubtful that the chassis batteries are any better for gen starting than the house batteries given the much lower amps need for the gen vs the engine. Battery bank size might also be a factor.

Perhaps trying to keep the chassis battery charged and avoiding the potential of a running down the chassis battery due to gen start issues. It can take a lot of juice to start the engine especially in cold weather and certainly engine starting is more critical than gen starting.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
camperdave wrote:
yeah, starts off the house batteries. I had dead house batteries once (dumb mistake...) I started the engine, then waited 20 or so minutes until the house batts had enough juice in them to fire up the genny.

Stupid to have the generator start off the house batts, as when I need the generator is when those batteries are in need of a charge! Seems like it should be fired off from the chassis battery (which is a better starter battery anyway than the deep cycles).

The generator needs 12V power when it's running, not just to start it. If it were connected to the chassis battery and there were no provision for charging the chassis battery from the house battery (as is not at all infrequently the case), you'd run the chassis battery down using the generator for a somewhat extended length of time.

There are tradeoffs to every setup. Some might suggest that having a separate generator starter battery, dedicated just to it, with some means of charging it when the generator is running is the best option of all; but of course that adds complexity and is yet another battery to maintain.

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
yeah, starts off the house batteries. I had dead house batteries once (dumb mistake...) I started the engine, then waited 20 or so minutes until the house batts had enough juice in them to fire up the genny.

Stupid to have the generator start off the house batts, as when I need the generator is when those batteries are in need of a charge! Seems like it should be fired off from the chassis battery (which is a better starter battery anyway than the deep cycles).
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
You can push your aux battery (emergency) button on the dash to use the chassis battery to start the genny.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE