cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Short box dually?

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I know my sig is out of date. I bought a 2019 Arctic Fox 811 for short box. I've come to the conclusion it really needs a dually. Been looking at 2016 Rams. They have the Megacab and short box. They look just wrong!! Looks like the weight is too far back possibly causing handling problems? Any real world experience on here? Thanks.
'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.
55 REPLIES 55

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III

I just saw this thread, I know im a little slow haha, but I am still trying to figure out why a 2300lbs dry (so we will say about 3000lb wet camper needs a dually any newer 1 ton SRW should be more than up to the job

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

But neither of the campers asked about, 4 years ago or recently are 2300/3000. 
Like Bedlam said, their more like 3200/4000. 
Agree no dually “needed” but certainly not overkill to have a Dooley for 2tons. 

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

My AF811 was around 4000 lbs on my F250 with gear and water. The rear of my truck was 2750 lbs when empty. I ended up upgrading suspension and wheels since I also towed behind this combination which added hitch weight.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

ya on a F250 or 2500 that would be to much, maybe it is just me assuming the OP is talking about a 1 ton truck.   I wouldnt have any issues hauling 4K on my truck which is a 2014 1 ton, but that would max me out and if it was going to be permenant I would probably do like you did and add some rear suspension helper and a rear sway bar.  

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Except a 250/2500 is the same truck as a single wheel 350/3500, except for lighter factory rear springs so I don’t follow what you’re saying. 

lots of people say that, and it used to be true in the 1999 to 2002ish f350, but there are more differences than that like my truck the rear end is different, the gearing, the options for increased payload packages, the springs, leveling blocks.  but I am not following what you are saying either, since I said on a F250/2500 that would be to much weight..  and I'll stick with that, but modifications were done to make it ride better, but it still doesnt chage the "oficial" weight raiting of the truck, I wish it was that easy..  My truck has a heavy payload package with which I ended up with 4500lbs of space on my rear axel for payload, could I put 19.5" tires on and add a custom leaf or two can carry 6K, probably, but I still wouldnt be legal, but we are digressing from the original topic

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Ya, I know you guys get scrutinized more in BC by the real weight cops more than probably anywhere else. 
However it is not a matter of legality in the US. Despite the notion of that that so many have. It’s just not illegal to exceed the mfgs payload rating. 
You or anyone can continue to not understand that , especially in the context of this discussion, that 3/4 and 1 ton srws are constructed the same from a structural and largely from a drivetrain standpoint as well. Except as mentioned 3/4 tons generally or always have lighter rear springs. 
where that comes into real world play mostly imo is when searching for a new/used truck. Sure you can always “order” what you want. But for everyone else that doesn’t custom order their trucks or even buy new, 3/4tons are vastly more available in the US. Produced in much greater numbers. So when ya find the right truck, it’s usually a 3/4 ton. Thank goodness they’re the same as a 1 ton!
You are correct in that Frod uses different rear axles between the f250 and 350 models. However that is of no significance as the “Smaller” Sterling 10.5 in the 250s is still a 10klb axle giver take. 

@Grit_dog wrote:

It’s just not illegal to exceed the mfgs payload rating. 

Sure you can always “order” what you want. But for everyone else that doesn’t custom order their trucks or even buy new, 3/4tons are vastly more available in the US. Produced in much greater numbers. So when ya find the right truck, it’s usually a 3/4 ton.

I know you can register morg GVW in the US, and man I wish we could here also haha.  but your reply in the first part I quoted ... how can you not exceed the manufactures payload rating in a 3/4 tone and 4000+ lbs?  

as for the second part we have the opposit up here in both BC and Alberta, it is impossible to find a 3/4 ton.  in BC because of the luxery tax which doesnt apply to 1 ton trucks so a 1 ton is usaly cheeper in the long run.  

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Yes I’m aware of the luxury tax thing too. I’m not envious of a lot of ways yall get hosed for money up there. 
On the upside it at least negates some of the issues with payload enforcement. 

To the exceeding payload thing, yes you’re correct, it’s easy to exceed the “mfg rated” payload. Because the gvw and corresponding payload is reduced for basically registration purposes and other reasons that have nothing to do with the actual capability of the truck. (Back to the 3/4 vs 1 ton being the same basic vehicle)

But in recent years even that 10k max gvw has gone out the window and the mfgs are rating some 3/4 tons higher, which is great for RV sales and marketing to the uninformed. It does now cause vehicle classification issues on the commercial side. Another story, but the story is as dumb as Cali just figuring out that there’s 3x the weight of plastic bags going into the garbage dumps than since they (and stupid WA) outlawed single use plastic bags. Same concept. Stupid is as stupid does, lol!

I make these points about the trucks not to argue with you, but to dispell the false info out there, that it may help someone understand it in greater detail than “read the door sticker.”

cheers. 

I find the biggest issue is the diffeences across states and provences for what is actualy enforced (against the law) and what isnt.  And, what is allowd when travaling because your alowed to do it in the state/provence your registered in.  you would almost thing somthing that is safty regulated and can move freely across the country would be federaly controled, but there is a can of worms you don't want to open haha

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

And in some way, to at least continue a pertinent conversation to RVing, even though the forum is now on life support with the “new” configuration. 

I don't know about life support, we won't realy know for a couple months yet I figure..  it always dies over the winter.

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad

What I'm really wondering is how this thread about truck campers ended up in the travel trailer forum, when there is a forum for truck campers.  On the old RV.net, human moderators would move topics to the right forum if they deemed it necessary.  Is that still a thing, or do they rely on Artificial Idiocy to handle it (or not)?

2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

@rjstractor wrote:

What I'm really wondering is how this thread about truck campers ended up in the travel trailer forum, when there is a forum for truck campers.  On the old RV.net, human moderators would move topics to the right forum if they deemed it necessary.  Is that still a thing, or do they rely on Artificial Idiocy to handle it (or not)?

Just moved this to the Truck Camper Forum! Thank you for letting us know @rjstractor