Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Short box dually?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Short box dually?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/19 11:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DJ, Mega dually is pretty much the ultimate vehicle for a heavy short bed only camper. (Unless you count the guys that stick a short bed camper in a log bed with a big gap in front of the camper. Doesn’t hurt anything, but, well, it looks really silly)
FWIW, been carrying basically the same camper as yours on a srw Mega cab 2500 for years. Works great. Dually would work even better.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

southernsky

Ponchatoula La.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/19/19 05:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've had two Mega Cabs and tow the 40' 16000 lbs 5th wheel with no problems. Many many miles towing from coast to coast and all points in between. The larger cab is great for the room for adults or grandkids. The bed looks shorter because of the large cab but it is 6'5"....just like any short bed truck. We would have bought another one if we could have found one with the options in the new truck.

2019 Ram 3500 Laramie DRW Crew Cab 6.7 H.O. CTD 4X4
2016 Grand Design Solitude 369RL

noteven

Turtle Island

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/19 08:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Standard (“short”) bed and long bed trucks have same inches rear axle to end of frame so the suspension fits.

The spare space ahead of a s/b camper is handy and the overhead sitting back increases visual enjoyment of mountains and skyscapes and traffic signals. Water runs off the overhead down your neck when it’s wet out and you get in and out the door. Aerodynamic racket seems less in cross wind but you get some drag from the gap unless you Fair it in with stuff or custom bodywork.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/19 09:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Kayteg1 wrote:

Coming to loading TC on short bed, I had my heavy camper on short bed pickup.
If you measure it, you will find that rear overhang on SB is shorter than on LB, so COG moves forward comparing to axle. That is good thing.

If you measure it, you’ll find that Kayteg is 110% wrong about the distance from the axle to the back of the truck. Any truck, short and long bed are the same length behind the axle. At least any truck save for them special old Ford camper specials with the rear axle further back
Kayteg do you actually believe all the c rap you post or do you just lob random obvious false statements into your posts for fun?

Here comes 2nd grade education.
The best I could find in quick search.
Ram short bed has 1216 mm rear overhang, Ram long bed has 1269 rear overhang. That makes 50 mm difference.
I vote Grit dog for BS of the year

[image]

[image]

* This post was edited 09/19/19 09:21am by Kayteg1 *

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/19 11:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You’re actually correct in part of your original statement Kayteg, as in the rear over hang of the truck body/bed is slightly different on different trucks. I apologize. It’s also the same on some.
However the difference in wheelbase between short and long bed trucks, cab to axle and axle to end of frame is generally the difference in bed length of the truck. The rear axle of a short bed truck is not set further “back” proportionally compared to a long bed.
And the difference of a couple inches of “overhang” of the truck bed and bumper doesn’t do squat for center of gravity. Talking less than 100lb ft of moment.
BUT, the significantly larger distance from back of cab to rear axle on a long bed can or will help more significantly in allowing the CoG of a given load to be moved forward putting more of the load on the front axle.
Thus the statement that a short bed truck helps with CoG compared to a longbed is still false. Not debatable. If you shove the same camper in a short and long bed truck, all the way forward to the front of the bed, the long bed will see more load on the front and less onthe rear compared to a short bed 100% of the time.
Point of my original post was just like others, your statement that a short bed helps with pushing center of gravity forward is misleading and false. Whether the rear over hang is the same or not.
Maybe a bit more than 2nd grade level understanding though....(to use your words)

CapnCampn

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/19 11:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you're concerned about recommended weights & COG locations, etc. Swing by your local ram dealer. They'll have a book EVERY configuration of Wheelbase, engine, trim level and the recommended locations for COG & weight limits. I picked one up at my dealer when I was buying my truck. The 2018 version is about paperback book size & 1/2" thick. I'd expect they'd be able to give you either an old book for a '16, or pull up the info somehow.

CC

~DJ~

Boise, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/20/19 08:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks so much everyone for your input. I have actually decided against the Dodge. May be different if it was a 6.4 Hemi. I've decided to wait for the 2020 Super Duty F 350 with the 7.3 gas to come out. See what it is going to have for numbers. Thanks again, DJ

'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, twin Trojan T 145s, 400 watts solar.

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/19 09:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

~DJ~ wrote:

Thanks so much everyone for your input. I have actually decided against the Dodge. May be different if it was a 6.4 Hemi. I've decided to wait for the 2020 Super Duty F 350 with the 7.3 gas to come out. See what it is going to have for numbers. Thanks again, DJ

In another thread, LosAngeles posted this ..

Update - so a little digging on the internets…. i found that the current
6.2L V8 produces 385 HP and 430 lb.-ft. of torque,

and the new 7.3L V8 produces 430 HP and 475 lb.-ft. of torque,
according to #’s just released by Ford, according to this (and a few other) websites.
https://www.motor1.com/news/362862/2020-ford-f-series-engines/

But, considering that the 7.3 has a lot more displacement. I think it’s potential should be way over 500 HP, and I’m sure the tuners will push it that high shortly after release.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/19 10:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When buying 1st year of production brings some risk- that's what the warranty is for.
New engines beside higher HP bring also better fuel economy.
I drive diesel sedans for long years and switching the same model from year 2008 to model 2014, where newer engine delivers only 10 HP less than older one, my MPG went from 27 up to 36 mpg.
When buying truck- good gas mileage is not priority, but I spend about $2300 on fuel for single trip to Alaska.
Would I drive gas engine that would make well over $3000.
You can ignore those expenses only to some point...

TCINTN

USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/19 06:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Over the past 9 years we have driven a 06 Dodge Mega Cab SRW CDI. Recently we had the opportunity to get a great deal on a 16 Dodge Ram Mega Cab DRW CDI to carry our Northern Lite 811. We have just returned from a 12 week fishing trip to Colorado. The things I like about the newer truck is That fully loaded and full of water I wam now 1000 lbs. plus under the GVWR of 14,000 lbs. The stability of the DRW is much better plus the exhaust brake and tow haul is much safer on all of the mountain passes in Colorado especially the 16% grade going down into Black Canyon to fish. I like the truck and the safety it gave me.

"But if not"
"Nevertheless"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Short box dually?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.