Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Short box dually?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Short box dually?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
MikeinSA

San Antonio

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/19 07:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have the exact setup you're asking about - '16 megacab, short bed dually with an Arctic Fox 811. We full-timed with this setup 9 months last year, and are getting ready to head out again in December for probably most of next year. I think we've probably done over 30,000 miles with this setup, including a run up the haul road to Prudoe Bay. You'll be fine [emoticon]

2016 Arctic Fox 811
2016 Columbus 375RL 5th Wheel (Full Time)
2016 Ram 3500, Cummins/Aisin, Mega Cab, SB, DRW

EfonFred

West Coast

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/19 08:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FWIW, old rig was a NL 811 sitting on a ’01 Dodge quad cab 2500 standard (short) bed SRW 4x4 CTD. Quite a few mods and still never felt real comfortable though we did ok over the 5 years we used it. New rig is a ‘15 Adventurer 86 SBS sitting on a ‘11 Ram Mega dually 3500 4x4 CTD. Added air bags, that’s it. Our new to us camper is configured for a short bed so it has the Inan gen.

COG is pretty much the same (about 1” diff) between the two rigs. Very comfortable ride, extremely happy with the stability on the road and when parked. TC’s are very similar in weight, just much more comfortable all the way around in the “new” rig. Some folks think the Mega Dually looks funny, we like the looks and interior space, personal preference.

2011 Ram 3500 Mega DRW
2015 Adventurer 86SBS

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/19 09:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So Ford is going to make a shortbed dually again for 2020?

Wasn’t that the original point of this thread? Or is the OPs camper not a shortbed only model?

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

noteven

Turtle Island

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/19 10:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some of us are saying if you aren’t worried about what people you don’t know care about the “looks” of your rig, S/B campers work on long bed trucks and have some nice advantages.

Ford and Ram 4x4’s have a good turning radius. My camper has a rear camera so I can keep the ass end out of harms way when going astern.

~DJ~

Boise, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/21/19 11:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

So Ford is going to make a shortbed dually again for 2020?

Wasn’t that the original point of this thread? Or is the OPs camper not a shortbed only model?

No, Ford is not. I was going to put it on a SRW shorted. Yes my camper is designed for shorted only. Yes, it will be overloaded but less than my 250!!

I just remember back in the day when I had an 05 Dodge dually with a large S&S camper and it handled so well.

'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, twin Trojan T 145s, 400 watts solar.

~DJ~

Boise, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/21/19 11:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MikeinSA wrote:

We have the exact setup you're asking about - '16 megacab, short bed dually with an Arctic Fox 811. We full-timed with this setup 9 months last year, and are getting ready to head out again in December for probably most of next year. I think we've probably done over 30,000 miles with this setup, including a run up the haul road to Prudoe Bay. You'll be fine [emoticon]

Wow that sounds encouraging!! Do you have any photos?

MikeinSA

San Antonio

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/19 11:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here you go:

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

~DJ~

Boise, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/21/19 09:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MikeinSA wrote:

Here you go:

Thanks so much for posting the photos. Sure looks weird perched on that short bed!! But with the amount of miles you have taken it and handles OK then I am OK with that. How long of a stinger would I need to tow a boat?

GpnAZ

Phoenix

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/21/19 10:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey DJ - Haven't heard from you for awhile but I don't check in here much either. I had the Ram 3500 SB dually with the AF 811 on it, took it to Alaska and back, worked great for us! It had the Cummins with Aisin transmission. We ended up getting a Host Mammoth last year so I traded my shortbed version in for a longbed with all the same options and color. I also have the factory rear air assist suspension which works great for me! If you have any questions you can always PM me also.

(2) pics of the 2016' Ram with AF 811
[image]
[image]

Picture of our new 2018' Ram with Host Mammoth
[image][image]

2018' RAM 3500 Laramie CC, DRW, 4X4, Cummins w/ Aisin transmission
2019' Host Mammoth, 480 watts of solar
2017' Jeep JKU Rubicon
2011' Airstream Avenue
http://www.flickr.com/photos/gpnusa
www.flickr.com/photos/gpnaz
www.flickr.com/photos/his_cross

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/19 10:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don’t think it’s any worse than having a 11 1/2 on an 8 ft bed.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Short box dually?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.