Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Short box dually?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Short box dually?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/19 11:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have 12' TC on my Supercab truck and it is still shorter combo.
Point is that with Megacab you need triple slide to have the same floor-space what single single slide and LB.
Nothing wrong with the idea, but terrible costly as of today.

~DJ~

Boise, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/22/19 07:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GpnAZ wrote:

Hey DJ - Haven't heard from you for awhile but I don't check in here much either. I had the Ram 3500 SB dually with the AF 811 on it, took it to Alaska and back, worked great for us! It had the Cummins with Aisin transmission. We ended up getting a Host Mammoth last year so I traded my shortbed version in for a longbed with all the same options and color. I also have the factory rear air assist suspension which works great for me! If you have any questions you can always PM me also.

Hey Mark, thanks for the pics. This is getting more encouraging all the time. This is the heaviest camper I've had and I think it's too much for an SRW. Truthfully I'm on the fence right now between keeping the TC or getting a small C. Both have pros and cons.

That is a sweet rig you have now!!!

Hey, I know this pretty Lady!!

[image]

'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, twin Trojan T 145s, 400 watts solar.

GpnAZ

Phoenix

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/22/19 08:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yeah, we both always chuckle when we think back about her Death Valley experience with you! It's always fun figuring out what RV to get to suit your needs, whatever it is there is always compromises! I had our AF 811 on a Ram 3500 SRW for a year and then went to the dually and was glad I did! Good luck whatever way you go!

2018' RAM 3500 Laramie CC, DRW, 4X4, Cummins w/ Aisin transmission
2019' Host Mammoth, 480 watts of solar
2017' Jeep JKU Rubicon
2011' Airstream Avenue
http://www.flickr.com/photos/gpnusa
www.flickr.com/photos/gpnaz
www.flickr.com/photos/his_cross

bwlyon

View Profile

Posted: 09/22/19 08:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 15, 3500 SRW, megacab, 4x4. Considering the dual version is just that a dually version of the SRW truck with stiffer rear springs, weight transfer is not as good as would be with a crew cab model, but the difference is really quit small. I have a Ascent S85RS 8’ 11” which is Ascents version of the Arctic Fox 811, and I can tell you that the front end will get about 200lbs lighter on the front with no water, fill it full of water and the weight on the front axle is the same as when truck has no camper. In essence the camper fully wet adds all the weight to the rear axle with net zero weight transfer to the front. With all that said, my mega cab handles just fine with no extra weight on the front axle. If you want a dually under your 811, the mega cab dually is the way to go! It may look odd, but **** it will handle your 811 with ease! I have thought about moving up to a long bed camper which would necessitate a longbed truck. However, if we stay with our camper or move to an 811 we will likely upgrade to a dually mega cab. We love the mega cab trucks for the added room in the interior and behind the seat storage. We have the Laramie Longhorn model and love love it!

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/22/19 11:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jimh425 wrote:

I don’t think it’s any worse than having a 11 1/2 on an 8 ft bed.

It's not, unless you're comparing to Kaytegs 12' camper on his truck which apparently is notably "shorter" and has a smaller fuel tank than what Ford offers (from another thread).

But that may be because the Fords have the same rear overhang for both short and long bed, which keeps the center of gravity from being pushed forward on the short bed, combined with mysteriously less fuel capacity thus making a shortbed camper on a shortbed dually obviously worse than a longer camper on a longer truck!
Lol

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 09/23/19 07:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Host makes a triple slide short bed camper for those of you with the Mega DRW. If you want the most room without stretching your Mega to a long bed, this is the camper for it. My Arctic Fox 811 was too light for my DRW...

Chevy Sonic 1.8-Honda Passport C70B-Host Mammoth 11.5-Interstate Car Carrier 20-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX 8.75-Ram 5500 HD-Tank Urban Touring 150SE-VW TransBuggy 1200

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Short box dually?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.