cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5th Wheel Rails in Truck Bed

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought a 2500 truck that has the two 5th wheel rails bolted into the bed of the truck.

I don't need the hitch rails, so how can I fill in the bed holes when I remove the rails?

I haven't checked out the bolts yet, but I guess they are carriage bolts which have the square neck under the head.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer
10 REPLIES 10

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
Gulfcoast, those were my thoughts when I removed the original rails. But since then we've had a truck camper, travel trailer and now our first 5er. Previously had 2 truck campers, 1 Travel trailer, 2 horse trailers, 2 car haulers, 1 enclosed. As you can see I've had a variety

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
I have a travel trailer and keeping it as long as I live... smile.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
When I bought my dually it had the rails and I took them out and sold them, I was never going to get a 5th wheel. Well 5 years later guess what. I bought a 5th wheel so had to go buy rails and mounting brackets. You might want to take a bit to think about future possibilities. What I did when I took the old rails out was small carriage bolts and used silicone over them. That worked fine as I put a bed mat in.

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
Gulfcoast wrote:
It has a LineX bed liner already.

Then I would put new short carriage bolts in the holes and do a touch up of the LineX over the heads.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
It has a LineX bed liner already.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
Remove the rails and put one of the premade bed mats or a bed liner in it. Don't worry about the holes.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
I will remove the rails
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

97chevor
Explorer
Explorer
Those carriage bolts are a PITA to remove.

What I would do is buy a rubber truck mat and just cut it out around the rails. If you ever have to haul something heavy, those rails are a much stronger tie down point than what the truck manufacturer provides.

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
Remove the rails but put the bolts back in or find some rubber plugs to fit.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
I have seen plastic plugs used for this purpose. I had some to put in previous truck, but ended up trading, and left rails intact. I think carriage bolts would work as well, but may need smaller size than currently in rails.

Jerry