Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: 4.10 rear in new Ford F350
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > 4.10 rear in new Ford F350

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
dodge guy

Bartlett IL

Senior Member

Joined: 03/23/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/21/19 11:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wnjj wrote:

Grit dog wrote:

^So this is just for the sake of argument, that if you cherry pick the exact weight, speed, torque curve, grade and scenery out the passenger window, you can find a spot where taller gears are slightly more efficient than lower gears?
What happens the rest of the time when the scenery changes?

The only variable involved is speed. For each speed you pick, one rear axle ratio or the other will have an advantage given the same transmission ratios. Pick the one that has the advantage at the speed you travel most often.

Low geared rear axles are great, until you are rev’ed out and can’t pull the next gear.


And that's not going to happen until you are well over 100mph. There is no way you can be rev'ed out at highway speeds, unless your under powered, in that case all the gear in the world isn't going to help you!


Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!


spud1957

NB

Senior Member

Joined: 01/08/2014

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/21/19 12:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

^ And this example is for the Diesel. OP hasn’t even said what engine he’s looking for, I think.
Surmising gasser since Ford doesn’t currently offer a 3.73 in the diesel though.
Does that change things?


He is looking at a diesel. 2010 was the last year 4:10s in a gasser.

* This post was last edited 09/22/19 03:57pm by spud1957 *   View edit history

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

Senior Member

Joined: 02/12/2011

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/21/19 04:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wnjj wrote:

Low geared rear axles are great, until you are rev’ed out and can’t pull the next gear.


WTF.... Back away from the booze and the keyboard.


'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs
"Built Ford Proud"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"


wnjj

Cornelius, Oregon

Senior Member

Joined: 01/11/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/21/19 06:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FishOnOne wrote:

wnjj wrote:

Low geared rear axles are great, until you are rev’ed out and can’t pull the next gear.


WTF.... Back away from the booze and the keyboard.

Ever been tach’d out in 2nd pulling a steep hill but can’t hit 3rd? The lower geared truck will be moving slower than its higher geared counterpart. That was my point.

My 8.1L 4.10 revs hard at 60 when loaded down on a couple of I-5 hills in southern Oregon. It would rev a bit higher if I wanted to go a little faster but wouldn’t stay in the next gear. It has enough power to go 65-70 but the wrong gearing. For the record, I chose the 4.10 and would again. Just saying that nothing is perfect for all situations.

However with more transmission gear choices, towing gets easier. [emoticon]

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2013

View Profile


Online
Posted: 09/21/19 09:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

spud1957 wrote:

Grit dog wrote:

^ And this example is for the Diesel. OP hasn’t even said what engine he’s looking for, I think.
Surmising gasser since Ford doesn’t currently offer a 3.73 in the diesel though.
Does that change things?


He is looking at a diesel. No 4:10 gears in a gasser since 2010.


You’re correct. Solved the mystery!
Now what wuz the question again? Lol


"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

Senior Member

Joined: 03/23/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/21/19 09:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wnjj wrote:

FishOnOne wrote:

wnjj wrote:

Low geared rear axles are great, until you are rev’ed out and can’t pull the next gear.


WTF.... Back away from the booze and the keyboard.

Ever been tach’d out in 2nd pulling a steep hill but can’t hit 3rd? The lower geared truck will be moving slower than its higher geared counterpart. That was my point.

My 8.1L 4.10 revs hard at 60 when loaded down on a couple of I-5 hills in southern Oregon. It would rev a bit higher if I wanted to go a little faster but wouldn’t stay in the next gear. It has enough power to go 65-70 but the wrong gearing. For the record, I chose the 4.10 and would again. Just saying that nothing is perfect for all situations.

However with more transmission gear choices, towing gets easier. [emoticon]


Seriously! Back away from the keyboard

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > 4.10 rear in new Ford F350
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.