Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: First TT advice
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> First TT advice

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/30/19 09:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I stand corrected on the solid rear axle. Was behind one today and saw A arms in back. Regardless, it will still pull, corner and stop better than pretty much any vehicle it's size.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

rbpru

North Central Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/30/19 10:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My F-150 has a max cargo of 1411 lbs. My 5000 lb dry weight TT is 6400 lbs across the CAT scales when loaded for the road.

The tongue weight is 750 lbs and my family and gear are right around 600 lbs. So my truck is at or near its max cargo weight.

We have towed 40,000 miles in 5 years and would not change a thing. The combo works great. But do not kid yourself, it is a lot of wear and tear; compared to just hauling air or light loads most of the time.

Our TT is 25 feet and perfect for winding through city streets to find shops and local attractions. But the next most important thing is the floor plan, it has to be right for your family.

Good luck.

Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

RobertRyan

Australia

View Profile

Posted: 12/25/19 02:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

I'd bet a weeks pay that a SRT Durango could out handle, brake quicker and accelerate quicker with a 4 ton trailer than a newer 3/4 ton gasser. Plus it weighs about the same as an average 1/2 ton pickup with only slightly less gvw.
Remember, the Europeans, Ruskies and our favorite Aussie Robert Ryan and his whole country tow the same size trailers with millions of much smaller, lighter, less powerful "trucks".

Tow vehicles are deceptive. GVWR and GCVWR are considerably higher than the equivalent US models. US 1/2 Tons get downgraded, in Australia. A RAM 1500 6.2 v8 is supposed to tow 4.5 Tonne 9,900lbs by RAM Trucks Australia , ( still lower than the US figure)but after a recent test it was recommended that because of the very low payload, the tow limit should be 3.5 Tonne 7,700lb towing a Caravan. RAM 1500 Ecodiesel is rated at 3.5 tonne ( 7,700lb), NOT 12,750lb
Looking at overseas comparisons you are not comparing apples to apples but apples to oranges.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> First TT advice
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.