cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV Router

Kevarino
Explorer
Explorer
I want to build a network I can run my NAS and serve movies with a Plex server.

Is there a router that can do all this and bring in the campground WiFi and a Verizon Jetpack as well?
Kevin and Barbara
2007 Winnebago Tour 40 TD
Cummings ISL 400
27 REPLIES 27

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
Read this. It seems to be what I've done, at least the setting match. And I think is written better. It also explains the IP's better.
Client Mode
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
philh wrote:

192.168.69.1 is your gateway, or is it the subnet router address?

When I redid the configuration as a bridge, I couldn't see the router and I should have been able to

The intention is to have a wired client to a separate wireless router that all the devices will connect to.

I'm thinking I'm getting trapped on the subnet issue

192.168.69.1 is the IP of the DD-WRT router. Subnet is still 225.225.225.0 and gateway is 0.0.0.0 never been set anything.
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
jaycocamprs wrote:

192.168.69.1 But I don't think it matters as long as it different from that ahead and behind
I would guess that you not seeing the WRT54g because it's in client mode and not broadcasting, which it should be.
When you change IP it will kick you out. I would do a ipconfig to make sure it's set for what you think it is, fat fingers can cause a lot of grief.

192.168.69.1 is your gateway, or is it the subnet router address?

When I redid the configuration as a bridge, I couldn't see the router and I should have been able to

The intention is to have a wired client to a separate wireless router that all the devices will connect to.

I'm thinking I'm getting trapped on the subnet issue

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
philh wrote:

Couldn't get a solid light. Found my instructions for a repeater bridge, and could get a solid light, but as soon as I changed the address to 198.168.1.2, I couldn't get in at all, and when I turned wifi back on, not even seeing the WRT54g. I'm missing something here, and not sure what.

What gateway address are you using?

192.168.69.1 But I don't think it matters as long as it different from that ahead and behind
I would guess that you not seeing the WRT54g because it's in client mode and not broadcasting, which it should be.
When you change IP it will kick you out. I would do a ipconfig to make sure it's set for what you think it is, fat fingers can cause a lot of grief.
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
jaycocamprs wrote:
Iโ€™ll try.
The Netgear router is setup normal, just like I would at home. Only change I ever make to it is channel.

The DD-WRT router is basically just a network adapter that outputs via a LAN cable. The Linksys router feeds the Netgear with a short network cable from 1 of the Linksys LAN ports to the Netgear Wan Port putting us behind the Netgearโ€™s firewall.
The DD-WRT is set to Under Wireless> Basic Settings. Client and Mixed. My Sensitivity Range (ACK Timing) is at 2000, Mode is Bridged. Security tab disable SPI firewall. This stays the same
To get new network Go to Stats Tab> Wireless, Site survey at bottom of page. Click, select network from list and click the join button on right. It should take you back to Wireless Basic, and have SSID of network you joined. Next select the Wireless Security tab and select WIFI Security type and enter passphrase or key. Often itโ€™s disabled. I apply settings then save. It will take a minute to make the โ€œHandshakeโ€ but when the light on the front lights your in. I open a new tab and try a website, if I get it itโ€™s done.
I have my DD-WRT router set so I can not change settings wireless, I must use a LAN cable. This means that while doing this I must turn the laptop WiFi off.
DD-WRT router is a WRT54G-TM (sold thru T-Mobile)
DD-WRT router Firmware Version DD-WRT v24-sp2 (09/08/09) mega - build 12874

Most times the routers will sit on the top shelf in the front wardrobe of our 5โ€™ver Itโ€™s up high and there is 110 power there. But I have set them in the cabinet above the rear window. You have to look for the campground AP and work from there.

I do hope this makes sense.

Couldn't get a solid light. Found my instructions for a repeater bridge, and could get a solid light, but as soon as I changed the address to 198.168.1.2, I couldn't get in at all, and when I turned wifi back on, not even seeing the WRT54g. I'm missing something here, and not sure what.

What gateway address are you using?

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Me Again wrote:
Bill.Satellite wrote:
I have the same unlimited AT&T internet service for $24 with taxes. Great service and I don't use any external antennas, just a Netgear MiFi router. There have been a few places I think an antenna would have helped but they were just stop-overs so really not of any consequence.

Are you greatgrandfathered? Tell us more. Tablet simm?

I bought a Mobley awhile back and put the SIM in the Netgear router. I only mentioned the service to reinforce the fact that the AT&T service is great with excellent coverage. The still offer the connected car service with a somewhat different device but it appears to have some additional restrictions @$30/month. I have not looked into that recently.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Crabbypatty
Explorer
Explorer
I use the Hawkings Smart Repeater, which is also a router, with a 4 watt amplifier I picked on Amazon connected outside to a 15 db gain Hawkings omni directional antenna. I also have a 12 db yagi but thats harder to aim. Works well. We are WEP so you need my pass word. Separately I have rv extreme cellular repeater with the new wilson trucker antenna and it has an inside antenna as well. One or both will work depending on what signals are out there. We dry camp on the ocean and bays and I need a signal for work. Sometimes nothing works. This year wifi signals were to low to be meaningful and we were using the rv system.I placed both outside antennas on a painters pole ad can extend up 24 feet.
John, Lisa & Tara:B:C:)
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
jaycocamprs wrote:
We just got back from 2 weeks up north, 5 days at Aune Osborn and 4 at Mackinaw Mill Creek. Then back home where it's still upper 90's
Used this setup both places.

We were up at Mill Creek last week ๐Ÿ™‚

I was just surfing web and just used my cell phone hot spot.

NiceGuyNoah
Explorer
Explorer
Openwrt works great for stuff like this. It's an open source router firmware you can install an a large number of routers, check their website for a complete list before buying one.

It basically takes really limited routers and gives them all sorts of useful features through new software.
Ask me about fast, cheap, unlimited internet anywhere in the US today!

www.Neverthrottled.com

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bill.Satellite wrote:
I have the same unlimited AT&T internet service for $24 with taxes. Great service and I don't use any external antennas, just a Netgear MiFi router. There have been a few places I think an antenna would have helped but they were just stop-overs so really not of any consequence.

Are you greatgrandfathered? Tell us more. Tablet simm?
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
I recently purchased a MoFi broadband router with optional paddle cell antennas and put it on OTR Mobile. Unlimited on AT&T for $60 per month, no contract or credit check. We are on our last stop from NW to East Valley of Phoenix. It has worked great everywhere except Wahweap RV in Page. Streamed lots of movies. We are currently at Verde Ranch RV in Camp Verde, Az. If this works good at our park model then it is bye bye Mediacom this winter.

Check out my Speedtest results, here in the middle of nowhere How fast is your internet? https://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/5357417311

http://mofinetwork.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=199
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Wineguard has some devices that both bring in Campground Wi-Fi (If there is any) from a roof mounted antenna) Height and less obstructions are might)

ANd accept a SIM card from Cellular connection

What I know about them.. is.. Well what I just typed. Do not have. Do not know how well they work.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
It's been a long time since I've played with DD-WRT (over a decade), do you recall where the setting is to only allow log in via cat5?

Wireless> Advanced settings.

Bandwidth is a big issue, but my needs are low. Also early AM most everybody is still in bed. But getting a stable connection is step 1.

We just got back from 2 weeks up north, 5 days at Aune Osborn and 4 at Mackinaw Mill Creek. Then back home where it's still upper 90's
Used this setup both places.
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW