Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: RV Router
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> RV Router

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Kevarino

No Cal

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/19 01:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I want to build a network I can run my NAS and serve movies with a Plex server.

Is there a router that can do all this and bring in the campground WiFi and a Verizon Jetpack as well?

Kevin and Barbara
2007 Winnebago Tour 40 TD
Cummings ISL 400

jcpainter

Crossville, TN

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/19 01:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kevarino wrote:

I want to build a network I can run my NAS and serve movies with a Plex server.

Is there a router that can do all this and bring in the campground WiFi and a Verizon Jetpack as well?

The WiFi Ranger GoAC router has Ethernet ports and will accept WAN input from a cellular hotspot. The company has an additional external radio/antenna that connects to the GoAC to pick up campground or other WIFI.

Ductape

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/19 07:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GL.iNet GL-AR750S-Ext Gigabit Travel AC Router. 70 bucks on Amazon.

49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

Kevarino

No Cal

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/19 11:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank You

jaycocamprs

Ringgold Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/19 06:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I run a old WRT54G Linksys with DD-WRT as a client bridge to access campground WiFi. It feeds a Netgear R6020 router that all our devices connect with. Through put is better with the client bridge setup than having the Linksys as a repeater. Campground network only sees 1 device, and we are behind a hardware firewall. Helps with signal strength, but bandwidth is still an issue.

2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/19 08:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jaycocamprs wrote:

I run a old WRT54G Linksys with DD-WRT as a client bridge to access campground WiFi. It feeds a Netgear R6020 router that all our devices connect with. Through put is better with the client bridge setup than having the Linksys as a repeater. Campground network only sees 1 device, and we are behind a hardware firewall. Helps with signal strength, but bandwidth is still an issue.

Care to explain the set up better with this somewhat tech savvy reader?

I have a WRT54G with DD-WRT that is not doing a thing right now.

How do you connect it to campground wifi? How is your net gear connected to the DD-WRT? Do you have to do anything special so that your devices are not visible through the firewall?

jaycocamprs

Ringgold Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 09/30/19 03:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’ll try.
The Netgear router is setup normal, just like I would at home. Only change I ever make to it is channel.

The DD-WRT router is basically just a network adapter that outputs via a LAN cable. The Linksys router feeds the Netgear with a short network cable from 1 of the Linksys LAN ports to the Netgear Wan Port putting us behind the Netgear’s firewall.
The DD-WRT is set to Under Wireless> Basic Settings. Client and Mixed. My Sensitivity Range (ACK Timing) is at 2000, Mode is Bridged. Security tab disable SPI firewall. This stays the same
To get new network Go to Stats Tab> Wireless, Site survey at bottom of page. Click, select network from list and click the join button on right. It should take you back to Wireless Basic, and have SSID of network you joined. Next select the Wireless Security tab and select WIFI Security type and enter passphrase or key. Often it’s disabled. I apply settings then save. It will take a minute to make the “Handshake” but when the light on the front lights your in. I open a new tab and try a website, if I get it it’s done.
I have my DD-WRT router set so I can not change settings wireless, I must use a LAN cable. This means that while doing this I must turn the laptop WiFi off.
DD-WRT router is a WRT54G-TM (sold thru T-Mobile)
DD-WRT router Firmware Version DD-WRT v24-sp2 (09/08/09) mega - build 12874

Most times the routers will sit on the top shelf in the front wardrobe of our 5’ver It’s up high and there is 110 power there. But I have set them in the cabinet above the rear window. You have to look for the campground AP and work from there.

I do hope this makes sense.

LittleBill

Scranton, PA USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/30/19 04:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mikrotik can do it as well, but not for the weak of heart.

Housted

Los Angeles, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/30/19 06:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just installed a TP-Link AC750 Wireless Portable Nano Travel Router connected to my Ubiquiti LocoM2 wireless to wired device. Both work really well. TP-Link was very easy to configure for my LAN in the 5er. All my devices can share the camp ground wifi.

Housted

TP link on amazon

2015 Dodge 3500 Laramie 6.7 CTD Tow Rig Integrated ball with Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel hitch
2011 Arctic Fox 29-5T 5th - 4 Pt Leveling, Disk Brakes, 1050 W Solar,
300 Amps of LiFePO4,3000 Watt Inverter
  • pic
    Too many mods to Truck and trailer to list.

• philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 09/30/19 07:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It mostly makes sense, but I'm extremely tired right now.

I put a high gain antenna on my WRT54G that allowed me to sit out on the lake and use the house wifi with my laptop [emoticon] The range was phenomenal. Also experimented with a script that automatically searched for "open" wifi. I found a business almost 1/2 mile away that was open. Don't find that too often anymore.

I'll have to try it this weekend where our park model trailer is located. I'm a bit on the fringe of receiving a good signal. Only problem, they have two different broadcast names, and sometimes one works and sometimes the other works.

Anytime you scan and log into the park wifi with the WRT54G, it's hard wired to your laptop then? Why do you do that? Guess I better figure out how to turn off wifi on my new laptop!

Any particular reason for netgear, or will any modern router work? I had a freaking awesome ASUS at my B&M, that one day decided it had enough. Running off the AT&T modem/router now.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
    Page of 3  
    Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> RV Router
    Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
    Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.