cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hitch concerns

thehippie
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2015 3500 Ram cummins and i tow about 9000 lb trailer.

I bought a 17k lb rated shank and a 30k lb rated ball but is it too short? will i have problem on tight turns?

14 REPLIES 14

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Edit
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Tom man..... settle down. Moderate size trailer for the truck thatโ€™s pulling it.
No wdh actually needed to be safe.

He does have the WDH with torsion bars. Heck the trucks some pull with are way overloaded but that is not the case here.
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Tom man..... settle down. Moderate size trailer for the truck thatโ€™s pulling it.
No wdh actually needed to be safe.

thehippie
Explorer
Explorer
tomman58 wrote:
The picture I see isn't like any hitch I've ever seen for towing that much weight. Also as mentioned this hitch isn't adjustable it is important that the trail tows level. I should say very important. I also do not see any torsion bars or anti sway device.
You really need to go to a qualified TT dealer and have them set this thing up for you.
I have wd hitch with sway bars which I always use.

But when I camp just a mile away backroads I just use this other hitch and drive slow.

It tows level bec I put the shank upside down

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
The picture I see isn't like any hitch I've ever seen for towing that much weight. Also as mentioned this hitch isn't adjustable it is important that the trail tows level. I should say very important. I also do not see any torsion bars or anti sway device.
You really need to go to a qualified TT dealer and have them set this thing up for you.
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
He needs a 2-1/2" mount and a qualified mechanic to remove the sleeve.

thehippie
Explorer
Explorer
thehippie wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Looks like youโ€™re already towing with it?
Why not see how tight you can jack knife the trailer and decide for yourself.
None of us can see how tight you can back up from the internet.
Just as important, looks like you have a 2โ€ square hitch and the adapter sleeve.
That is not a good combo for longevity. At some point you will wallow out the hitch pin holes and bend the hitch pin. Adapter sleeves are a short term, occasional use solution for those that have a bigger receiver and donโ€™t have the right size hitch.
i know. i tried to remove the sleeve but can't. looks like the sleeve is so molded to the receiver i can't pull it out. its not rusted but its just molded in.

CURT 45340 Forged Trailer Hitch Ball Mount, Fits 2-Inch Receiver, 17,000 lbs. GTW, 1-1/4-Inch Ball Hole, 2-Inch Drop, 1-Inch Rise https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IIO42S6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Sk3HDbPJESRB0

CURT 40085 Raw Steel Trailer Hitch Ball, 30,000 lbs., 2-5/16-Inch Diameter Tow Ball with 1-1/4-Inch x 2-5/8-Inch Shank https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IWT83O6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Gm3HDb1P1SJF4

Itโ€™s my setup. I have wd hitch but when I camp just one mile away I donโ€™t use the wd hitch.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^No, itโ€™s a 2.5โ€ hitch with a 2โ€ adapter.

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
I've never heard of a 17,000 lbs rated drawbar/ball mount that was not of the configuration for mounting a weight distribution system head. So I learned something new today. And is it a 1-1/2 square bar with an adapter? And it's at the right height for the trailer to tow level on a 3500 truck? This all just leaves me scratching my head. Why not go with the traditional setup even if not using the WD bars? You can even get longer drawbars when going that way.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^ Thereโ€™s a reason for that.
Get it out of there. Itโ€™s already deformed. Just going to _____stuff up worse the more you use it.
Have had to cut a couple of them out.

thehippie
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Just as important, looks like you have a 2โ€ square hitch and the adapter sleeve.
That is not a good combo for longevity. At some point you will wallow out the hitch pin holes and bend the hitch pin. Adapter sleeves are a short term, occasional use solution for those that have a bigger receiver and donโ€™t have the right size hitch.
i know. i tried to remove the sleeve but can't. looks like the sleeve is so molded to the receiver i can't pull it out. its not rusted but its just molded in.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Test it carefully and with a spotter if possible.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

thehippie
Explorer
Explorer