cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Havent camped in 2 years

Prowler_Doug
Explorer
Explorer
I really hurt my back 2 years ago.I have been going to physical therapy and seeing a Chiropractor. I was forced into early retirement also. I have some real anxiety going on about the setup and towing my TT to the campsite. I hope when I get on the road next week these feelings will subside. My future plan is to sell the TT and buy a class C I think that would be a easier setup for me. I camp mostly by myself with my dog.

Thanks maybe I will see you out there, Doug.
2005 1500 Hemi Ram
2007 Fleetwood Prowler Classic 240 RKS
12 REPLIES 12

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
As people mention weight distributing hitches, it occurs to me that the Equal-I-zer brand doesn't have to be removed. The bars can be pushed up close to the rear bumper of the tow vehicle to be out of the way, and you can drive all over with them still attached. I've done it quite a bit. I swapped out the small cotter pins that hold them on for small locks typically used on luggage. That way they don't grow legs unless somebody is dedicated to the cause.

Good luck with what ever you choose. Growin' old ain't for wimps!
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

Heymon
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with what brantlyj said, if you camp in places such as an rv park there is bound to be someone to help or even park staff might assist with stabilizer jacks or the like.

You might also consider joining a group, that way you would have people camping with you that could help you get set up. I group camp and solo (with my 12 year old son and my dog) and I really enjoy the group outings for all the chit chat around the campfire and so forth.

brantlyj
Explorer
Explorer
I might add, don’t be afraid to ask for help. I just put a deposit on a trailer so other than a tent I haven’t been in an rv park. But I would have no problem helping someone with set-up.

As long as I have the ability or something so pressing I can’t stop I have never turned down a request for help.

JG
Explorer
Explorer
Prowler Doug wrote:
I really hurt my back 2 years ago.I have been going to physical therapy and seeing a Chiropractor. I was forced into early retirement also. I have some real anxiety going on about the setup and towing my TT to the campsite. I hope when I get on the road next week these feelings will subside. My future plan is to sell the TT and buy a class C I think that would be a easier setup for me. I camp mostly by myself with my dog.

Thanks maybe I will see you out there, Doug.

Research ordering a RV directly from a Factory. The quality is very good & they can help you build something that may help you. Look in the US & Canada. Research the smaller Fiberglass Trailers. Oliver, Casita, Bigfoot, Etc. They hold there value, light weight, resale very fast, and built very well. Also there is http://www.lazydaze.com/ they will build you one & they have been in business 50 years and are well built. In Canada there is https://taylorcoach.com/ I think all Canada Rv's are 4 season. Wish you the best.
2019 Casita Liberty
2015 Chevy Truck
Wonderful wife since 1969

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Seems the toughest parts on a persons back would be the wdh if you use one and cranking the jack.
If you can pull it without a wdh with some simple mods to the truck suspension and get an electric jack, there’s no other heavy work I can think of to setup and tear down.
Use a drill for leveling jacks
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

happy2rv
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry to hear about your back issues. Wish you well.

I'm sure it goes without saying, but I would go think through things methodically to anticipate the potential trouble spots. You hopefully know your limitations and therefore can see where the issues might be. For instance, I would think the biggest problems would be handling the weight distribution hitch and sway bars. Hopefully you have help getting them installed before you go, if not, what can you do to help minimize the trouble with these. I posted a WDH storage caddie made from a harbor freight rolling mechanics seat about a week ago. I only have minimal periodic back strain issues but I hated having to lug that hitch around and store it. While traveling we leave the WDH on the truck. The sway bars are a different issue. Will they be a problem to lift? If so, you will need to come up with a way to handle this since they can't easily be left attached. Anyway, walk through every step you can think of and look for the "hot" spots and devise a way to deal with them.

A class C might be easier in some respects, but it will bring challenges of its own. If you don't tow a car, you will have to break camp or Uber every time you need to go somewhere. If you tow a car, it brings its own weight challenges. Leveling a class C without automatic jacks adds two more tires to level vs a TT, etc...

Good luck and happy camping!
2018 Forrest River Salem Hemisphere 282RK - 2017 RAM 1500 TV

Previous RVs and TOADS
2004 Fleetwood Bounder 32W on WH W20
2000 Four Winds 5000 21RB
1986 27' Allegro
TOADS
2005 Ford Ranger XLT 2WD
2004 Suzuki Aerio
1988 Chevrolet Sprint

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
Sorry about your back. I was diagnosed with a congenital problem in my back at age 20. Doctor told me no surgery then because I would end up in worse shape and to wait till surgery techniques improved. 46 years later (2 years ago), and many MORE problems, I had surgery. I had tried everything on the books to relieve the pain and problems, but all that didn't work at that point. So I set time out in our fulltiming schedule to have the surgery. Two months later, I was back driving our big rig (I do all the driving, DH navigates). This summer we cleaned out a house where we had stuff stored and I carried boxes, etc., up out of the basement at least 15-20 times a day. Back in great shape now. I decided I didn't want to spend the rest of my life in pain and discomfort and I'm so glad I had the surgery.

Physical therapy worked for some time with me. You might try that.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

LarryJM
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
Don’t fret camp setup with your TT, Go slow, take breaks, devise a setup procedure. It’s mental, not physical.

IMO the "GO SLOW and TAKE BREAKS" is the whole key. Now in my 70's I've learned you can do just about everything, it just takes much longer and not trying to do it all at once is a real key. It takes some retraining to get into a new rhythm of doing simple tasks in stages. For instance I used to wax my entire Van at once, then it was 1/2 one day, take a day off, 1/2 the next day, another day off and then the roof. Now it takes about 6 days, 1/4 each day and two days for the roof. I also almost always do stuff outside early in the A.M and never fight the heat if it's going to be hot that day.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Don’t fret camp setup with your TT, Go slow, take breaks, devise a setup procedure. It’s mental, not physical.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

kearlms
Explorer
Explorer
I know the feeling. This last winter I took a spill and tore up my rotator and had to go in for surgery. Haven't been able to get out this year and I am kitchen to go. Hope recovery has been good to you.

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
I could certainly see where a Class C would be easier without having to hitch and unhitch. I wish you all the best. I have had just enough back problems to know how very difficult it can make the simplest things.
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Hang in there. Don't let it get the best of you. Adjusting your camping style may be just the trick.