cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2019 Keystone 330RL Wall Damage

DarylP
Explorer
Explorer
About a month ago while camping i noticed an image on the side of our camper that i hadn't seen before. upon inspection it looks to me like a repair job in the fiberglass on the camper wall. you can see in the picture where the "yellow" bondo is coming out. if you look close you can also see where they masked off a spot to make the repair and now there are now fiberglass shavings in the repair. i sent pictures to the dealer and the manufacture, and to my surprise they are both denying any repairs ever being done to this camper before we purchased this year. Has anyone seen this before? this is our first fiberglass camper, but i have done some repairs before
8 REPLIES 8

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Another Keystone issue. Ugh. At least youโ€™re within the warranty period.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Like new cars, RV's have lots of body repairs before they even leave the factory. If you know what to look for (as I have learned lately) then you'll see repairs everywhere.
You can imagine the same careless assemblers that haphazardly throw the inside together now handling the outside. They cant help but have damage.
The manufacturer should cover the repair, which will look like an ultra smooth, shiny spot when done.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Presume itโ€™s filon and never have repaired filon, but nothing should โ€œbleedโ€ through a gelcoat patch. Idk how youโ€™d match the texture of the filon, but yeah that looks like a half-@ssed repair.
Iโ€™ve fixed enough fiberglass boats that a seamless repair is not that hard to achieve with gelcoat
Just another experience to add to the list of shoddy dealer, supplier, mfg support in the RV industry. Seems one should just expect that itโ€™s a foregone conclusion and any โ€œgoodโ€ service/warranty should be considered a bonus not a right.
You can also bet that whoever you talked to could honestly claim plausible deniability and if they couldnโ€™t, they would anyway.
Itโ€™s jut like a lot of industries, claiming ignorance whether the truth or not, typically saves them money in the long run.

The easy fix is turn that area into a vent or cover it with something that looks like it should be there. Maybe a wall drug bumper sticker?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
DarylP wrote:
It's not that i'm worried about it, it's more that i'm upset that nobody told me i purchased a camper that had been repaired. It's not a very good repair!

Yeah, I would be ticked too. I've heard it is quite common with brand new cars too. I think I even owned one in a 1977 Datsun. I expect it would be similar with RV's, and they have no obligation to tell you.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

DarylP
Explorer
Explorer
It's not that i'm worried about it, it's more that i'm upset that nobody told me i purchased a camper that had been repaired. It's not a very good repair!

DarylP
Explorer
Explorer
thanks for the information. i will look at it next week when we open it back up to go camping and i'll let you know. i will let you know if i need her phone number

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
Looks like a repair to me.

Could have been done at the manufacturer, could have been knicked by the dealer and repaired there. Could have even been done by a delivery driver, and repaired to keep the info from the dealer.

Stuff happens. Why are you worried?
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
we bought this same model and year last november 2018. i have not seen anything like that. in case you aren't aware i will tell you about the gearboxes on the slide motors. they have a history of leaking oil. a google search of keystone slide motors leaking will give you details.

i was not aware of the issue until last month when my routine roof inspection i do personally once a month at least showed 2 of my 3 had leaked a small dime size amount on top of slide roof. it causes the membrane to bubble up.

keystone's answer is to install small drip pans underneath gearboxes. im told they gearboxes stop leaking when they leak down to proper oil levels. it took about 9 months for mine to leak on slide top.

my spots were small, i cleaned them with dawn dishsoap and they appear ok because i caught it early.

some posts mention factory warranty covering membrane replacement and drip pans no charge. others mention factory only approving small patch on affected spot and drip pans.

the pans can be purchased by owner but i have a direct line to a representative that will ship drip pans free of charge. i talked to her on a monday and received 3 pans by wednesday. i can share her phone number.

sorry, not trying to hijack thread but very important info and i try to share with anyone with keystone and slides.

they may have factory installed drip pans on yours but doubtful.