cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rubber roof cleaning

HappyjackGum
Explorer
Explorer
What is the best (inexpensive) way to clean my 1996 companion 18r rubber roof?

I hear "Dawn" dish soap works good. That is what I plan to use this weekend. Any ideas?
7 REPLIES 7

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
grrr
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Mildew, moss, algae or pine sap would the only things I'd ever clean a roof for. Since I never get those things, I haven't cleaned mine in 15 years. Looks great.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

HappyjackGum
Explorer
Explorer
wildtoad wrote:
Dawn will clean it, but it also can remove wax on the sides of the RV. Spic and Span is good. For the mold/mildew, add some Clorox bleach to the bucket of wash water. ( I use a 2 gallons yard sprayer). Spray it on the roof, use a medium bristle brush to scrub, not too hard. Let it rest for 10-15 minutes for the bleach to work, rinse it off, really well. Go over the heard to clean spots.

I started using (Lysol all purpose cleaner) and it worked great until my wife flipped out and said that would hurt the rubber.
anyone used Lysol all purpose cleaner in the yellow bottle?

https://www.amazon.com/Lysol-Purpose-Cleaner-Breeze-2X32oz/dp/B07HB6YRQB/ref=asc_df_B07HB6YRQB/?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid={creative}&hvpos={adposition}&hvnetw=o&hvrand={random}&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl={devicemodel}&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583726545497113&psc=1

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dawn will clean it, but it also can remove wax on the sides of the RV. Spic and Span is good. For the mold/mildew, add some Clorox bleach to the bucket of wash water. ( I use a 2 gallons yard sprayer). Spray it on the roof, use a medium bristle brush to scrub, not too hard. Let it rest for 10-15 minutes for the bleach to work, rinse it off, really well. Go over the heard to clean spots.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

HappyjackGum
Explorer
Explorer
2012Coleman wrote:
I was given CamCo roof cleaner available at Walmart. It sat on the shelf for a long time, but then I went to clean the roof and didn't have my usual Spic & Span so I used it. Was not enthused while cleaning, but the rinse water was brownish. But when it dried, boy what a difference - very white and bright. Here is a picture I used for selling it taken after cleaning it and laying down caulk.

Don't use anything that lists petroleum distillates in the contents.

thank you very much for the advice.

I hear other people using Spic & Span. Is that better than "Dawn" or is CamCo roof cleaner even better?
Just trying to save a buck but still wanting the best product.

The roof really is not dirty. except some mildew. Since 1996 not one thing has been done to this trailer. so I'm removing all the caulk and then after everything is reseated, then I'm redoing the coating on the rubber.

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
I was given CamCo roof cleaner available at Walmart. It sat on the shelf for a long time, but then I went to clean the roof and didn't have my usual Spic & Span so I used it. Was not enthused while cleaning, but the rinse water was brownish. But when it dried, boy what a difference - very white and bright. Here is a picture I used for selling it taken after cleaning it and laying down caulk.

Don't use anything that lists petroleum distillates in the contents.

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Why are you cleaning the roof? For repairs? Maintenance? Solar install? Otherwise leave it alone IMO.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad