Bus crash on Utah 12

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
27 REPLIES 27

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe this should have been posting in Around the Campfire or something, but I think it is interesting.

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
RV'ing subject? I thought it was a tour bus. Are we just supposed to gawk and look at the wreckage? Why post about a disaster where people were killed? What does a person learn about this wreck? Don't ride in a tour bus?

I belong to several motorcycle forums, one of which won't post links to motorcycle accidents, unless there is a definite point to the post.
I don't come on RV.net to read about bus/train wrecks - I go to FOX News for that.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
RV'ing subject? I thought it was a tour bus. Are we just supposed to gawk and look at the wreckage? Why post about a disaster where people were killed? What does a person learn about this wreck? Don't ride in a tour bus?

Well said.

Gee Whiz - another tragedy - better post it for the ghouls.

Same thing that was covered on local and national news..:S

*If* you missed it - you live in a cave, with no RV.

If you can't apply whatever "lesson" might be learned without seeing it *repeated* on an internet site.....it sure won't help (here).

IMO - rates an "auto delete"...:(

~

run100
Explorer
Explorer
Cloud Dancer wrote:
I'm ALWAYS interested in the forensics of motorhome and bus accidents,..... might learn something useful. I would love to be able to investigate each one.
I know it's almost always "pilot error", but I want to know exactly what the driver did wrong, and why.

Same here! Knowing what causes collisions can help in finding ways to prevent them. Also, the hope is that knowledge may change driver behavior.
2012 F350,6.7L Diesel,4x4,CC,SB,SRW
2013 Lance 855S

ryoung
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
RV'ing subject? I thought it was a tour bus.

fj12ryder wrote:
It has nothing to do with RV'ing.

By posing the question as to whether the post is an RV subject, you are, in fact, determining that it is not appropriate here.

That's why I said leave it to the moderator to decide.

ryoung
2018 Ram 3500 SRW Diesel
2019 Wolf Creek 840

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
ryoung wrote:
It's not that I don't like it, although I don't care for posting of accidents with fatalities, in general, I don't understand the posting of it in the first place. It has nothing to do with RV'ing.

Let the moderators determine whether the post is appropriate or not.
It's their job; not yours.

ryoung
I'm sorry, did I say that it was not appropriate, or was I offering an opinion about the content of the thread vis-a-vis RV'ing. Very similar to offering an opinion on gas vs diesel threads.

I opined that a thread about a fatal tour bus wreck in Utah, has very little to do with RV'ing in general. Keeping the thread open is not my question, but rather the point of the thread in the first place.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

ryoung
Explorer
Explorer
It's not that I don't like it, although I don't care for posting of accidents with fatalities, in general, I don't understand the posting of it in the first place. It has nothing to do with RV'ing.

Let the moderators determine whether the post is appropriate or not.
It's their job; not yours.

ryoung
2018 Ram 3500 SRW Diesel
2019 Wolf Creek 840

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
fj12ryder wrote:
It used to be that September/October was a great time to go places since school was back in session. But not any more, now it's a ton of old people out and about. I figure there's now three seasons: High Season, Low Season, and Geezer Season.

We were at Yellowstone a couple years ago during the last week of September and it was nearly as crowded as peak summer season. Lots of lines, no parking, and busy shops and cafe's. Crazy. We left the day before Fishing Bridge Campground closed for the season, and were just amazed at the number of people.

According to the State Patrol this was a tour bus full of Chinese tourists. Don't know if they were "geezers" or not.
As for crowds, we were in Yellowstone last September and the number of tour buses with foreigners was amazing. We stayed at a campground in nearby Idaho and every morning large numbers of buses were headed toward the park. It is happening in many parks.

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm ALWAYS interested in the forensics of motorhome and bus accidents,..... might learn something useful. I would love to be able to investigate each one.
I know it's almost always "pilot error", but I want to know exactly what the driver did wrong, and why.
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
Deb and Ed M wrote:
So sad to read about this - I read an article that quoted someone who witnessed the accident, that the bus had crept over one way, then it looked like the driver over-corrected and over it went in the opposite lane.

We drove through that same area going to Bryce Canyon NP last week and were stunned by how many tour busses were at the park, with LOTS of foreign visitors. They closed a whole section of the park due to traffic. We thought we were being clever going after school was in session, not realizing that Sept must be "Tour Season"?

If that is what happened it is fairly common and a good reminder do smooth driving maneuvers and not try and abruptly attempt to reenter the roadway.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not so mind-boggling when you watch people slow down so they can see an accident by the side of the road. People have always been fascinated by carnage.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
I don't open or read that stuff, however it is mind boggling when I see the thread title that that stuff is so popular.

Bert_Ackerman
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
It used to be that September/October was a great time to go places since school was back in session. But not any more, now it's a ton of old people out and about. I figure there's now three seasons: High Season, Low Season, and Geezer Season.

We were at Yellowstone a couple years ago during the last week of September and it was nearly as crowded as peak summer season. Lots of lines, no parking, and busy shops and cafe's. Crazy. We left the day before Fishing Bridge Campground closed for the season, and were just amazed at the number of people.

Geezer season is a good name for it. I've seen it at USACE campgrounds where they get the huge senior discount and can get a site for some ridiculously small cost. That discount should be nixed IMO.

At one we were at last year. A sawmill on the road in would bring out bins on pallets with free slab firewood a few times a day. The Fall geezers would camp out there all morning waiting for the next bin, then it looked like a riot going after it. God forbid you pulled in to get a few pieces, they would run right over you or push you out of the way. They would load their wifes arms up like they were loading mules lol. It was fun to watch however.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^ Yeah but itโ€™s still weird every time someone posts a RV accident. And now bus accident.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold