Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Towing: Short Bed 5er Towing
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Short Bed 5er Towing

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
theboondork.com

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 09/22/19 04:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I tow an Arctic Fox 27 – 5L fifth wheel with a short bed crew cab GMC three-quarter ton pickup and have been doing so for over five years as a full-timer. And because of the shape of the nose of the fifth wheel and the extended pin box it doesn't hit the cab no matter how tight I turn.

theboondork.com

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/22/19 08:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gray, I'm not the weight police on here, far from it actually, but these guys do have a point, especially given your inexperience.
My big takeaway was, I beleive you said somewhere the "dry" posted weight of your new camper is 7klbs giver take and you just said your truck is rated to tow 2k more.
Doing the math and knowing pickup trucks perty well tells me you likely don't have a >10klb towing rated half ton. So you have an "average" 1/2 ton with a decent size engine option.
Since your trailer will likely be close to that tow rating all loaded up for a long trip, be especially cautious that you're on the upper end of what the truck is rated for.
Sounds like the truck may not be new or almost new, but icbw.
Either way, D or E load tires like 12V said, rear suspension help and making sure the trans and coolant temps stay in check are pretty necessary for your setup.
Have fun and safe travels!

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Blazing Zippers

North Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/23/19 11:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gray, a half ton is going to be light for a fifth wheel. As stated before on here, tires, springs, brakes, and weight of your passengers and stuff will use all the capacity of the truck. Yes, the truck will pull it---for a while. But safely?
Don't forget that the Toyota pulled the Space Shuttle!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Short Bed 5er Towing
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.