cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Northern Neck of Va to Sturbridge, Mass

2_Retired
Explorer
Explorer
Need to go from Tappahannock Va to Sturbridge Mass next week for a family wedding. Will not be driving the RV. Most directions have us going Through Baltimore Harbor Tunnel, along NJ Turnpike (I 95), over GW Bridge to I 91 towards Hartford, then I 84, to U S 20. Anyone have suggestions how to avoid some of that congestion? Its at least an 8 hour trip and our time is limited. Thanks.
Two young retirees restless to GO!
Life is too short to wait too long to do all we want to do!!
Go and enjoy!!
3 REPLIES 3

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
One potential option may be to take Amtrak (from, say, Fredericksburg, VA to Springfield, MA, which requires changing trains in New Haven, CT). It would take 8-10 hours, it appears, with a few different reasonable connections throughout the day.

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here's what we do:

We usually take the loop around the west side of Baltimore when towing: in a car, the tunnel is fine - just a small toll.

Get off I95 north of Baltimore (like jog over to US 1 at Bel Air, MD), the objective being to get to US 209 up to I84. We then cross the river at Newburgh and chart a course for wherever we're going in New England. If you don't have an EasyPass, make sure you have cash on you for tolls at places such as the I95 bridge across the Susquehanna River leaving Maryland.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

Airdaile
Explorer
Explorer
I-95 to the GSP to I287 over the Tappan Zee.

1. Take I-684 to I-84 to the Mass Pike/US20 or
2. If you're in a car stay on I-287 to the Merritt Pkwy to I-91

Avoid the section of I-95 from the Cross Bronx to New Haven if at all possible.