cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Valve extenders safe?

steelhunter
Explorer
Explorer
I have to remove the wheel simulators to reach the inside dually valve stems.

Is there a way to check the inflation and get air to these tires without the hassle of removing the simulators?
20 REPLIES 20

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
I installed the Borg dually valves several years ago when first got our Class A Motorhome 7 years ago. On the inner tires mostly, those long stems leaked and leaked, no matter what I did. Very slow leak, though, was just enough where I always seemed to have to top off the tires by a few pounds before every trip. Had tire shop remove the tire from the rim, check the valve (and seals inside) numerous times, they never could find why it was leaking.

Something about those really long valve stems just isn't right, and I found they always leak gradually.

One day I finally had had enough with those long dually valve stems and their slow leaking. Had the shop take them off and put on regular valve stems, with AIRLESS braided extensions. Never had a problem again, and I've been using those braided extensions for several years now. I still use the Dually valve U shaped valve stems on the outers, they work fine. However, the long ones for the inners always leaked, so I did away with them.

Whatever extension you use, its very important if you use extensions, that they are airless extensions. Airless as in, extensions have no air pressure in them except when you put a gauge or air hose on it. That way, if it works loose, you aren't going to lose any air. I won't use any kind of extension that has air pressure in it all the time. Those are just asking for trouble, IMHO.

Not really sure why those Borg dually long valve stems always leaked on the inners, but they did. Is unfortunate, as otherwise those dually valve stems are a great product. They work great for the outer duals.
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
Use the Borg one piece extended valves. They are solid and quality. No issues with leaking.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
It depends on whether it's a mid-year Cayenne, the Cayenne's made after October 27th will not accept any air with an oxygen level of more than 7.2%. This occurred for the three months after that date, any Cayenne's made before or after that date have no issues with standard air. Although they may be down a bit on pepper, and acceleration may suffer.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Jennifer_Koper
Explorer
Explorer
Dear all, I am waiting for the below updated information.
I want to add air to tires for 2013 cayenne. Is it ok to use ordinary air?

cwit
Explorer
Explorer
I have the braided stainless , been on the 5 years I have owned and weโ€™re on when we bought it.. I can check both Dulles no problem.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
mgirardo wrote:
Our Jayco Class C came with valve stem extenders. They worked okay. We had a problem once when I went to air up one of the inner dual tire and it wouldn't take air. I had to pull the simulator, remove the extender and put it back on. I had to do this twice before it finally started to work properly.

When we replaced the tires, we had the tire shop install Tire-Man Dually Valve Stem kit. These made checking and airing up the tires so much easier (even easier than with the valve stem extenders).

-Michael

I also purchased the Tire Man extended Valve Stems,several years ago and I am very happy with them.

The problem is that Chuck,the original designer of them has passed away and it seems that His business has passed with him.

The only alternative to his is the BORG line. They are a copy of Chuck's original design,and I am told they work well.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
Our Jayco Class C came with valve stem extenders. They worked okay. We had a problem once when I went to air up one of the inner dual tire and it wouldn't take air. I had to pull the simulator, remove the extender and put it back on. I had to do this twice before it finally started to work properly.

When we replaced the tires, we had the tire shop install Tire-Man Dually Valve Stem kit. These made checking and airing up the tires so much easier (even easier than with the valve stem extenders).

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Every braided steel extended I've use has either leaked or the pop rivets have pulled out of the hub. With and without TPMS sensors. Next time I buy tires, I'm having the shop put in these.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Airdaile
Explorer
Explorer
The stainless braided ones tend to leak if under constant pressure.

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
Buy quality, install correctly and you are fine. Two years and 10,000 miles and no crises yet.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
The last thing you want to do is put those flexible extenders on your valve stems. They have a tendency to leak and if they get loose from the anchoring point they can flop around and not only do damage to your wheel but suddenly deflate the tire causing a catastrophic loss. I can speak from experience,this happened with my old Class A.

What is needed is a extended valve stem that will let you quickly check your tire pressure. They add no extra weight like the Extenders would and balancing is no problem, TPMS works on them as well

Something like the Duallyvalve I have a set like them and I never have to take my simulators off to check the air pressure.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

harley-dave
Explorer
Explorer
I have the long valves on my Itasca with TPMS. Its not recommended to run extenders if you plan on using TPMS as they pressurize the extender all the time instead of only when airing up. They tend to not seal well and leak.

Dave
2005 Winnebago-Itasca Sundancer 31C
2010 Harley-Davidson Soft tail Deluxe
2014 Harley-Davidson Street Glide Special
1999 Chevrolet Tracker 4X4
SKP # 121272

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
I knew the braided valve stem extenders were problematic so I made sure to purchase what I though was the best (Wheelmaster) at CW. I've used them on previous motorhomes without an issue. This July, as I was about to leave a campground to come home after a week away, I checked the tires by bouncing a hammer off them. Sure enough the inner dual was flat. I'd noticed as I left home on the way to the campground I wasn't getting a reading on my recently installed TPMS from that tire but figured it was a transmitter/battery/receiver issue. Sometimes it takes awhile for all the sensors to connect/show up on the display. Using my compressor, I tried putting some air in but from all the hissing, I thought I didn't have the chuck aligned right. Then as I ran my hand down the extender, I felt the air escaping just under the extended valve stem where the inner tube failed and let all the air out of the tire. The extenders were about 3 or 4 years old.

I called my roadside assistance number and they told me they'd have someone there in 1-1/2 hours. I figured rather than sit around doing nothing I'd take the wheelcover off. After I had it off, I thought maybe I'd use the jacks to get the tire off the ground. Then I used my (favorite) Ryobi 18v battery Impact Wrench to spin off the lugnuts. I kept hoping help would arrive soon. I wrestled the outer tire off and then managed to get the inner one off too. That's when I noticed the tire had come loose from the rim! Putting air back in was no easy feat but after several failed attempts I spayed the rim & tire with the wife's "Shout" and managed to get it to hold the air I was putting in. 20 minutes later (small compressor) I had 90psi in and it was holding it! Still no help, may as well put the tires back on while I waited. Got them back on and fastened with the impact wrench. I called a cancelled the service call about that time (about 1 hour after I called) only to look out toward the entrance to the park and see the tow truck sitting there for a few minutes before turning around and leaving - never even came back to say hi or give me a good cussing! At least I wasn't stuck along the road. I managed to force my hand through the handhole several times and screw the TPMS sensor back on (on the 3rd or 4th attempt). It's doable but not easy and I don't have big hands :M. I wish the hole was a bit larger and see no reason it shouldn't be.

I'll run with the 1 inch valve stems with my TPMS sensors screwed on them until I can get some solid extension tubes but I won't be using the flexible extenders anymore - lesson learned! Use them at your own risk and if your TPMS isn't communicating with one tire, take time to check the air in the tire before continuing on down the road. I've been on a couple of trips since that event and the tire seems to be okay but running them flat like I did is not a good idea.

The TPMS will let me know when I need to add up the tires and I'll just need to pull the wheelcovers off to do that.
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of people use extenders without issue. Personally I solved the problem by putting my wheel simulators in the garage. :B
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v