cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Replacement Seals/O-rings for Portable Propane Cylinders?

Woodtroll
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, folks,

I have a 30-lb. propane cylinder that has a bad gasket/O-ring that is causing a leak. This is the seal that the nose of the fitting presses into and seals against. (It is the newer OPD valve on the cylinder, with an Acme fitting on the pigtail hose).

I've searched for a replacement and can only come up with replacements for fork lift systems, which I don't think are the same thing.

Are these seals universal, and are they available to the average person?

Safe travels!
Regan
2003 F250XL 4WD 7.3L Crewcab LB, 6 speed; Prodigy brake controller; Big Tex grille guard/ deer deflector. Canoe hauler and camping truck extraordinaire!
2003 Layton 242 Scout- Extra batteries, solar panels, LED lighting, and propane for boondocking.
8 REPLIES 8

joshuajim
Explorer
Explorer
My valves have both external and internal threads. One of these with itโ€™s own O ring might solve your problem.

Amazon
RVing since 1995.

whiteeye42
Explorer
Explorer
when mine started to crack and leak i took it to the propane dealer and they said no way to change out just the o-ring i that to get a new valve installed
Me,Wife two boys and two dogs
2008 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4x4 DRW 6.7 cummins
2008 Jayco Eagle 341 RLQS 37' with B&W turnover ball & companion hitch
using rotochoks
add state map

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Though the seal ring was on the adapter not the cyliner.. but as others have said any propane wholeseller, Most RV stores and hardwares.. A "Fireplace and grill store" all should have it.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have a brand and model number for the valve?

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Worse come to worse they can just replace the valve, I've had it done on a couple of tanks. Last time they didn't even charge me since I filled up several tanks. I actually think that the maintenance guy didn't write up a ticket and the women up front said 'to heck with it"...heh.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Woodtroll
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, Agesilaus. Like you say, I don't want to cobble this up since the risk is high. But yes, I am a big fan of the true "hardware stores" where you can buy just about any kind of oddball part you might need. Any RVer should be familiar with their closest hardware store (NOT the same as Lowes or Home Depot).
2003 F250XL 4WD 7.3L Crewcab LB, 6 speed; Prodigy brake controller; Big Tex grille guard/ deer deflector. Canoe hauler and camping truck extraordinaire!
2003 Layton 242 Scout- Extra batteries, solar panels, LED lighting, and propane for boondocking.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Call a local propane/gas business and find out which of the local shops does tank maintenance. Take it by there.

As an aside if you go to an Ace hardware store they will have a, what I call, a wall of parts. Row after row of cardboard drawers. Some Aces have bigger walls than other. And in some of those cardboard drawers you will find o-rings and gaskets. I don't recommend doing that for the propane tank since it's a safety issue. But next time you are in an Ace just take a look at the wall to see the wide variety of stuff they have. Sooner or later you will want a knob or spacer or who knows what else.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper