Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No more GM diesels?!

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
GM goes 100% electric

And Ford has made similar announcements. Is this the end of pickups? I haven't seen a glimmer of a electric p/u with 500 mile range and 3500 pound carry capacity have you?
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper
69 REPLIES 69

whjco
Explorer
Explorer
noteven wrote:
I suppose the next thing will be hybrid railroad locomotives. That’ll never work.

They already tried that. One of them caught on fire and was a major environmental mess.
Bill J., Lexington, KY
2006 Starcraft 2500RKS 25' Travel Trailer
2015 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.7 Cummins.

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
What is really amusing is that a 7 + page thread about electric cars emanated from some blowhards wordpress blog called "Musings from the Chiefio".
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's entirely possible that I might enjoy driving one. I'd like driving a Porsche too, if I didn't instantly wreck it. But I still would never buy one. I does not fit my driving needs.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
Grit dog wrote:
All in good humor my friends!

"If you are legitimately curious take a model 3 Tesla for a drive and report back to us. Not for everyone but most love the drive"

I'm actually afraid to or I might have an overgrown 100kwh toaster in my garage where the SRT should be!
Seriously, I get it and I like the idea of alternative fuels. He!! if Clessie Cummins hadn't invented the first ICE powered car that we all know and love today as the mighty Cummins truck......wait I think it was Carl Benz but Mercedes are a little too yuppy for me, so we'll go with Clessie, we'd all still be behind the south end of a northbound hay burner and high performance would mean an extra bag of oates and some carbon fiber horse shoes!

Not a fan of super dooper commuter micro mini cars though. Then things'll get you killed in a fender bender and they're kinda like umm, nevermind, not a family friendly comparison.... But you know, makes you feel good until your friends see you driving her......I mean it!
Tesla is the freakin Albert Einstein of the 21st century and I'd actually love to have one of his cars. Have even considered it for the wife's soccer mobile, but just can't part with that many greenbacks for even a used one with new motors and a fresh set of Duracells.

🙂

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
All in good humor my friends!

"If you are legitimately curious take a model 3 Tesla for a drive and report back to us. Not for everyone but most love the drive"

I'm actually afraid to or I might have an overgrown 100kwh toaster in my garage where the SRT should be!
Seriously, I get it and I like the idea of alternative fuels. He!! if Clessie Cummins hadn't invented the first ICE powered car that we all know and love today as the mighty Cummins truck......wait I think it was Carl Benz but Mercedes are a little too yuppy for me, so we'll go with Clessie, we'd all still be behind the south end of a northbound hay burner and high performance would mean an extra bag of oates and some carbon fiber horse shoes!

Not a fan of super dooper commuter micro mini cars though. Then things'll get you killed in a fender bender and they're kinda like umm, nevermind, not a family friendly comparison.... But you know, makes you feel good until your friends see you driving her......I mean it!
Tesla is the freakin Albert Einstein of the 21st century and I'd actually love to have one of his cars. Have even considered it for the wife's soccer mobile, but just can't part with that many greenbacks for even a used one with new motors and a fresh set of Duracells.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
Question though, does the EV keep going full speed until it’s dead, or is it more like my cordless Dewalt drill that just keeps getting a little slower and less powerful until I pull the spare battery out of the charger?
I might be on to something why the granola munchers in their Leafs drive 50mph in the ETL lane around here. Maybe the battery is just getting low??
Full speed until maybe the last mile. Could be limited accelerating power last 10 miles but will generally go full speed until the last mile then limited to maybe 25 mph just to safely pull over. That limited speed is called turtle mode. Many multiple warnings long before that moment. Then the battery contactors open and you get to coast or push.

Petrol or electric going slower than traffic should be in the right hand lane. Seen plenty of both.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
Every parking spot was full except for one EV spot.
So as not to call attention to my illegally (not sure if it’s actually illegal, that would be discrimination against ICE cars since EVs can park in normal spots, but didn’t want to risk it, goofy Canadian laws I might not know about...) parked car, I opened the gas door and stuck the cord in there!
Couple people we knew at the hotel noticed and laughed their butts off. 1 lady who’s kid on the hockey team drove up from Seattle in her Volt. She was p!ssed off of course because her car was “on fumes” or on electrons or whatever it is when your range limited oversize golf cart needs to find a battery store and I had the last spot she could have charged up with.
(Of course she was dumb because she totally could have used the cord, since she knew my car ran on dead dinosaurs, and parked in front of me. We all needed to leave at the same time in the morning anyway).
I just told her # gascarsmatter and shut up!
Some day the EVs will have to park in the petrol fueling lanes to run in and grab a coffee. That is when we will see the mayhem. All other spaces taken so it is OK right?

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
Grit dog wrote:
I’m confuzzed. Y’all keep saying things like “300km or 400km range like because it’s a large number, it’s a long range.
That’s like 250miles on your best day. Or less than 150 miles if you “fill up” your 300km car at “1/4 tank.” I drive that far to work sometimes....and there’s no plug when I get there except for the Honda 6000 jenny in the back of the truck (but that defeats the purpose of a EV I spose if you have to tote your own gas burning “fuel station.”

Question though, does the EV keep going full speed until it’s dead, or is it more like my cordless Dewalt drill that just keeps getting a little slower and less powerful until I pull the spare battery out of the charger?
I might be on to something why the granola munchers in their Leafs drive 50mph in the ETL lane around here. Maybe the battery is just getting low??

You are not confused. The people who have selected EV’s as transportatation bought the cars because they suit their needs. If you drive 300 km to work I would recommend a gas or diesel car. Many people need a small percentage of that.

Ev’s Have the same performance at 100 percent as they do at 5 percent. Some ev’s Limit performance under that. Either way, the performance of most EV’s on the road is much better than a gas or diesel car. It’s why most people buy them.

If you are legitimately curious take a model 3 Tesla for a drive and report back to us. Not for everyone but most love the drive.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
I’m confuzzed. Y’all keep saying things like “300km or 400km range like because it’s a large number, it’s a long range.
That’s like 250miles on your best day. Or less than 150 miles if you “fill up” your 300km car at “1/4 tank.” I drive that far to work sometimes....and there’s no plug when I get there except for the Honda 6000 jenny in the back of the truck (but that defeats the purpose of a EV I spose if you have to tote your own gas burning “fuel station.”

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^True statement. I was trying to give the FoMoCo guys some credit and of course Powerstroke and hard starting in the winter subconsciously made me write that.
Should have said Cummins but those don’t need plugged in to start, nor will the fuel gauge go up either, last I tried!
I did plug in the wife’s SRT Charger one night in a hotel parking garage up in Canadia last year. Every parking spot was full except for one EV spot.
So as not to call attention to my illegally (not sure if it’s actually illegal, that would be discrimination against ICE cars since EVs can park in normal spots, but didn’t want to risk it, goofy Canadian laws I might not know about...) parked car, I opened the gas door and stuck the cord in there!
Couple people we knew at the hotel noticed and laughed their butts off. 1 lady who’s kid on the hockey team drove up from Seattle in her Volt. She was p!ssed off of course because her car was “on fumes” or on electrons or whatever it is when your range limited oversize golf cart needs to find a battery store and I had the last spot she could have charged up with.
(Of course she was dumb because she totally could have used the cord, since she knew my car ran on dead dinosaurs, and parked in front of me. We all needed to leave at the same time in the morning anyway).
I just told her # gascarsmatter and shut up!

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
That is cute that the F350 needs a snuggie at night also.

Bert_Ackerman
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Soooo, the takeaway from blowhards on both sides of the fence is EV's currently make great commuter cars in the city and short road trips as long as you can plug them in at night or every other night and wrap them in a Snuggie in the winter and ICE vehicles are still useful in all conditions?

Am I tracking here? Just making sure I'm not missing out on any common knowledge breakthroughs or if it's just the same people re-hashing the same "stuff."

Guy who lives in a condo and commutes to the Starbucks in his skinny jeans is arguing his car is the bestest with a guy from Wyoming with a 4 horse slant load and a 2 mile commute to his mailbox and a 20 mile drive to "town" who cant figure out why when he plugs in the cord on the front of his F350 at night, the gas gauge doesn't move!

Thanks, Keyboard is soaked with coffee..........

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Soooo, the takeaway from blowhards on both sides of the fence is EV's currently make great commuter cars in the city and short road trips as long as you can plug them in at night or every other night and wrap them in a Snuggie in the winter and ICE vehicles are still useful in all conditions?

Am I tracking here? Just making sure I'm not missing out on any common knowledge breakthroughs or if it's just the same people re-hashing the same "stuff."

Guy who lives in a condo and commutes to the Starbucks in his skinny jeans is arguing his car is the bestest with a guy from Wyoming with a 4 horse slant load and a 2 mile commute to his mailbox and a 20 mile drive to "town" who cant figure out why when he plugs in the cord on the front of his F350 at night, the gas gauge doesn't move!